ONLY Distill H2O and ww in the radiator

svtleen

Established Member
Just curious because I 've heard that water disappates heat better than 50/50 coolant. Anyone on here runs just distill water and water wetter in the entire cooling system? Will this combo rust out the motor since it does not have anti-corrosion propeties like 50/50 coolant.:shrug:

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the final dilution should not be too acidic, or yes it will accelerate corrosion.

the ph should be at about 11 for automotive cooling systems, esp with alum components, or so my research has indicated.

straight water is 7

edit: the other problem with running straight water is the potential of freezing the water in the heater core, since it is "downwind" of the a/c evaporator

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Water wetter gives you the anti-corrosian and anti-algi propertys that coolant does, the only thing special about coolant is it wont freeze. This is no concern if you live in the south where it doesnt freeze.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I run WW and distiled water in the inter cooler and WW ,80% Dwater ,20 coolent in the rad ,no problems

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I always thought that when you run WW you should not run it with the glycol based coolant or it it will foam up like no other....

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
I ran water and ww in the h/e tank until we got a freeze down here. I added some coolant then. I noticed no difference with iat2 temps.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Watter wetter does nothing to make the engine run cooler. It's the absents of antifreeze that is responsible for that. If you have antifreeze in the coolant don't bother wasting your money on WW. I would not run water and WW for a long period in the engine (hot water and aluminum is a nasty combination form a corrosion perspective, not that great for the water pump bearing either). If your having overheating problems get a big radiator if you haven't done so already.

04gtstang

Established Member
Watter wetter does nothing to make the engine run cooler. It's the absents of antifreeze that is responsible for that. If you have antifreeze in the coolant don't bother wasting your money on WW. I would not run water and WW for a long period in the engine (hot water and aluminum is a nasty combination form a corrosion perspective, not that great for the water pump bearing either). If your having overheating problems get a big radiator if you haven't done so already.

Explain.
I noticed a drop in coolant temps when I added it. Adding some straight water in place of the WW doesnt do jack to my coolant temps. I have had to top my coolant off before and used water to do it....no change. So it has to be doing something extra in the WW.

Users who are viewing this thread