only 5 living WW1 Vets still alive

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Not a veteran here, but had to post this. About a year & a half ago this list was as many as 26 around the world. Today only 5.:(

The youngster in the bunch is 106.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_veterans_of_World_War_I"]List of surviving veterans of World War I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I got to meet in my store a WW2 Vet in who I was thanking him for his service, got to talking to him, his wife's dad was a WW1 Vet (deceased).

99navert

Established Member
Here is a great program to get WWII vets together & send them to DC so they can see the WWII Memorial. We are losing them at 1,000 per day so it is a great program to thank the veterans before its too late, like it is for the WWI vets. My two trips to the sandbox don't come close to what WWI & WWII vets went through.

Honor Flight Network

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
wow, thats crazy, so only 1 american left alive? thats crazy to think there are still people living that were born in the 19th centry.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Here is a great program to get WWII vets together & send them to DC so they can see the WWII Memorial. We are losing them at 1,000 per day so it is a great program to thank the veterans before its too late, like it is for the WWI vets. My two trips to the sandbox don't come close to what WWI & WWII vets went through.

Honor Flight Network
great humble attitude with your comparisons but IMO you're right up there & no less than they are. 1,000 a day? :( Yeah that bothers me.

wow, thats crazy, so only 1 american left alive? thats crazy to think there are still people living that were born in the 19th centry.

mind boggling to say the least. On the Today Show this morning Willard Scott does the Smuckers 100+ birthdays, one lady was 113.

THE_STIG

Established Member
In August I carried a WWII vet home. My Grandmother, she was a Sergeant and was in charge of a floor in an administration building. 87 years old.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
R.I.P.

She had a good life. Shes having a much more peaceful life up above.
Amen.

My grandfather, WWII Ranger; He is 86 as of last week, and still moving around pretty good. What he went through for four years straight will never compare to what wars are these days. He was out in the pacific fighting "japs" and dealing with "head hunters" for 4 years straight...
He will not stand the smell of a burning in scent. Nor talk about pretty much anything that happened. After he found out what I've been through, he has opened to me ALOT. I wish I could only be that strong.
First thing he asked me the other day was; Did you kill anyone? He hastily replied, THEN DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. Which I never really do, but I've gotten much better about venting and not holding in shit, ie. PTSD =/

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
In August I carried a WWII vet home. My Grandmother, she was a Sergeant and was in charge of a floor in an administration building. 87 years old.
Your Grandmother :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
My grandfather, WWII Ranger; He is 86 as of last week, and still moving around pretty good. What he went through for four years straight will never compare to what wars are these days. He was out in the pacific fighting "japs" and dealing with "head hunters" for 4 years straight...
He will not stand the smell of a burning in scent. Nor talk about pretty much anything that happened. After he found out what I've been through, he has opened to me ALOT. I wish I could only be that strong.
First thing he asked me the other day was; Did you kill anyone? He hastily replied, THEN DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. Which I never really do, but I've gotten much better about venting and not holding in shit, ie. PTSD =/

My grandfather (1994 RIP) fought in North Africa in WW2 (got a purple heart) and would never talk about it to either any of his children nor all of us grandchildren.

saleensc281

Established Member
I have watched movies and read books about the men and women who served during WWI and WWII. I can not even begin to imagine and think of what they went through during their time of service. I have the deepest respect for them all...for what they accomplished and sacrificed so that myself and everyone else can enjoy the freedoms that we have today. My great grandfather served in the Army during WWI, he was a tanker like myself. He did not see any action, due to the fact by the time he got to France the war was over. God Bless our Veterens....past and present.

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
My gramps was a WWI vet. He passed away in the early 80's.
When I was a kid he used to tell me about Mustard gas attacks and the like.
No antibiotics either. Infection=losing a limb.
Jeff

THE_STIG

Established Member
My Grandfather also served in WWII, he was a PO2 in the Navy, his ship, I believe it was a cutter, was one of the first ships into Tokyo Bay. He took a bunch of pictures of them coming into the Harbor, you could see white flags and bed sheets hanging out of windows everywhere. When I get a chance i'll scan them, they really give a sense of what it was like.

saleensc281

Established Member
My Grandfather also served in WWII, he was a PO2 in the Navy, his ship, I believe it was a cutter, was one of the first ships into Tokyo Bay. He took a bunch of pictures of them coming into the Harbor, you could see white flags and bed sheets hanging out of windows everywhere. When I get a chance i'll scan them, they really give a sense of what it was like.

I would really like to see those pictures. Does anyone else have any?

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
Lost my grandfather in 2000, a Navy WWII vet. My family knows next to nothing about his service, other than that it was in the Pacific. Currently awaiting his records from the national archives.

I can't believe there are any WWI vets left. /salute

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
I have pictures my grandfather gave me of him torturing a jap. And walking through the jungles of Papa new Guinea with tanks, and dead bodies EVERYWHERE. I looked at these and just teared up...
I'm the only person he has showed this to, not even my grandmother of 63 years...
He takes it personal.

-Bret

This is was inspired me to be who I am today.

qwikhuh

Established Member
My grandfather served in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran during WWII. It was a privledge to take him to DC last summer to see the WWII memorial. It was the first time he ever spoke about the war to me or anyone else that I know of. He is 88 years young and amazingly in perfect health still.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
I have pictures my grandfather gave me of him torturing a jap. And walking through the jungles of Papa new Guinea with tanks, and dead bodies EVERYWHERE. I looked at these and just teared up...
I'm the only person he has showed this to, not even my grandmother of 63 years...
He takes it personal.

-Bret

I'm assuming you are either currently serving or a vet maybe? It's good to see these older vets opening up to their grandchildren and such whereas they would have never done so if it were not for grandkids serving.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I got to go to DC last year with my grandma who served as a flight nurse in WWII. We stopped by Arlington and a few other memorial sites - a treat to say the least.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Grandfather served in Burma as a 1LT or CPT I forget. He died before I was born though (was already old with a family when war started). Ill never forget my next door neighbor growing up as a kid was a WWII veteran also. He served in Italy and used to tell me stories. He passed away when I was I think 14 or 15 though.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
Currently Active.

Yeah, I'm quite honored to hear what he has to say about that Era.

I was special forces for over almost 3 years, then got injured out in Iraq on a mission gone bad. I'm just a floater trying to get medically retired. =/

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member

They are the Greatest Generation IMO that will never be equaled. My Mom who is still alive @ 83 y.o. actually forged her Birth Certificate at age 17 in order to join the war effort. She enlisted in the Army and drove a Jeep at Camp Shanks in NY where they shipped our soldiers off to Europe. She then went on to build airplanes for the war effort in a factory as a "Rosie the Riveter". My Dad was a member of the famed 101st Airborne; he passed away in '79. I recall hearing stories how that during the Great Depression my Mother's brothers went down to their local park in PA where they lived to catch rabbit & squirrel to supplement their diet because there was no money to buy meat.

And here people are today crying because there's not enough money to make that payment on the Escalade or go shopping at Wal-Mart. Go figure...:nonono:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
He takes it personal.

-Bret

:dw: Talk about awkward.

Users who are viewing this thread