one side, one cyl, bad head gasket

Kennytgnewedge

Established Member
Ok well my #1 cyl is not seated right with the head gasket. I have excelent compresion in all other 7... So my question is, is it ok to install one new head gasket on one side.? Btw i just built this moter its brand new. I drove it about 10 miles. Overheated twice and had it towed back home. Its a mmr 1000 4.75 also... Your gona laugh.. the frist time i put it together i put the head gaskets on backwards ... I realized this wile puting collant in. So i tore it back down and switched them. And no i had not turnd the car on wen i did that. Anyways. I wana just by the same felpro gasket and replace the pasenger side since the othet side is fine.. does anyone see a problem with this? As in should i replace both? I realy hope not. Pasenger side is so easy to get off.. driver side.. not so mutch.

O and ya i tried re touqein the head no sucsses:smmon:

My spelling sucks. I am aware.
:smmon:
Any help is very appreciated

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
as long as you are sure the other head gasket is fine, then i dont see any reason to replace it. however, i am not a mechanic, so if i am wrong, please somebody feel free to correct me. but...i'd think you'd be fine with not replacing the other.

sucks you put them on backwards the first time. talk about a pain in the ass.

hope you get er' fixed up soon...good luck, and let us know how it goes!

:rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ok well my #1 cyl is not seated right with the head gasket. I have excelent compresion in all other 7... So my question is, is it ok to install one new head gasket on one side.? Btw i just built this moter its brand new. I drove it about 10 miles. Overheated twice and had it towed back home. Its a mmr 1000 4.75 also... Your gona laugh.. the frist time i put it together i put the head gaskets on backwards ... I realized this wile puting collant in. So i tore it back down and switched them. And no i had not turnd the car on wen i did that. Anyways. I wana just by the same felpro gasket and replace the pasenger side since the othet side is fine.. does anyone see a problem with this? As in should i replace both? I realy hope not. Pasenger side is so easy to get off.. driver side.. not so mutch.

O and ya i tried re touqein the head no sucsses:smmon:

My spelling sucks. I am aware.
:smmon:
Any help is very appreciated

:dw:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I would have the head with the bad cyl checked for warpage when you remove it. Overheating can cause heads to warp and not make the proper seal for optimal, even compression. This may be part if not all of your problem.

I know it sucks to have something you've worked hard on need to be torn down again. Been there! Good luck.

Ray H.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
So you took the heads off after you knew you put the head gaskets on backwards then flipped the same gaskets and reused them? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, you've already made a no no and need to replace them both.

TRBO VNM

So you took the heads off after you knew you put the head gaskets on backwards then flipped the same gaskets and reused them? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, you've already made a no no and need to replace them both.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread