On3 turbo

bad01cobra

Established Member
pure junk , bought one for my 01 cobra had to replace 2 hot side pipes that the welds cracked and on pipe had a hairline crack on down pipe . fitment was bad at best rubbed my control arms and could not run anything bigger then 255 40 17 upfront or it would rub . blowoff went bad , 2 turbos went bad they were on3 brand . then when i went with a master power thats when the blow off went bad and messed up the turbo . tuner had a hard time with mass air and once i put a new one on not from on3 mass air counts were steady , pulled it all off and went with a procharger and i have never looked back

4.6pimp

Established Member
Wow!!!! Is all I can say. I have had mine on my mach 1 for about 3 months now and other then having to replace one v band clamp I have had no troubles. Yes we did put on new v bands during install and yes we did have to remake the passenger side pipe do to my car being slammmed on the ground. Overall though it has been awsome! The power delivery makes the car feel like a animal compared to the D1SC that was on it. As for power I made 526/538 on 11lbs and now running 13-14 probably making 550+. I said to myself after pulling on a 416 stroker motor c6 the other day that this kit is the best thing I have bought yet! The stock bottom end is hanging on for dear life!!

iggster

Established Member
100% stock kit I put down 734 at 21-22lbs with a master power t70.

I still run a modified version of the kit but with a precision 7675 cea.

90345425.gif

THAITED

Established Member
K selling my Paxton now....I'll take my chance with this kit...........I'm tired of belt kept slipping all the time even with the 8 ribs pulleys..... I might transfer my Paxton to my 03 vert, DD but I will see. Thanks for the input guys. I'm wondering if they will sell me a partial kit since I have everything else for FMIC to MAF, injectors, GT pumps etc. I might save some money and buy a Precision Turbo instead of using theirs.

Last edited:

2001cobravert

Established Member
K selling my Paxton now....I'll take my chance with this kit...........I'm tired of belt kept slipping all the time even with the 8 ribs pulleys..... I might transfer my Paxton to my 03 vert, DD but I will see. Thanks for the input guys. I'm wondering if they will sell me a partial kit since I have everything else for FMIC to MAF, injectors, GT pumps etc. I might save some money and buy a Precision Turbo instead of using theirs.

You might regret it a little during installation but stick with it. You will enjoy the turbo. :beer:

THAITED

Established Member
You might regret it a little during installation but stick with it. You will enjoy the turbo. :beer:

Thanks, it looks like the numbers in your sig......... your Turbo are lower than your procharger....at the same psi. I thought it would be more on Turbo at same psi.

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member

Do yourself a favor and since you have the cold side, just go to B&G Turbo and buy their hot side for ~$600. It is incredible quality and all you'll need is a turbo and waste gate to go with it since you have the cold side already. Plus it helps he's a great guy in the US working in his own shop welding everything up and making sure quality on everything is perfect.

It's the same hot side I'm running on my car and its been going 8s for years without any workmanship failures and it installed perfectly. The guy took a lot of time with r&d to make sure his kits come out and fit your car.

I think the few hundred bucks extra is worth it when you can run it hard for years with no weld issues, metal fatigue issues, and the install is proper with no hacking, etc.

Whenever this kit starts wearing down due to metal fatigue (which it hasnt after over 5 years) I won't hesitate on where I'm getting a new kit because ill be a customer of his again.

Last edited:

THAITED

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and since you have the cold side, just go to B&G Turbo and buy their hot side for ~$600. It is incredible quality and all you'll need is a turbo and waste gate to go with it since you have the cold side already. Plus it helps he's a great guy in the US working in his own shop welding everything up and making sure quality on everything is perfect.

It's the same hot side I'm running on my car and its been going 8s for years without any workmanship failures and it installed perfectly. The guy took a lot of time with r&d to make sure his kits come out and fit your car.

I think the few hundred bucks extra is worth it when you can run it hard for years with no weld issues, metal fatigue issues, and the install is proper with no hacking, etc.

Whenever this kit starts wearing down due to metal fatigue (which it hasnt after over 5 years) I won't hesitate on where I'm getting a new kit because ill be a customer of his again.

Thank you I'll check him out $600 is not bad at all. What brand should I get for Wastegate and what size? What brand of Turbo? Sorry I'm dumb founded when its time for Turbo? Just check BG, no kit for 99-04 gt....Thanks

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
Really close to pulling the trigger as well. I have done a decent amount of research and a lot of people seem to be very happy with the kit as far as the piping is concerned. Replace the V-bands and use some copper RTV to get it running, and replace the BOV/WG and turbo as you save. Or order the kit from power adder solutions and they can sell you the kit for cheaper sans WG,BOV Turbo intercooler etc.

blown98riored

Established Member
I recently Purchased a On3 single turbo kit for my 98 Cobra. It is a Vortech blown car. My buddy just purchased a hellion kit for his 10th annv. cobra. After riding in it, I had to get a turbo on my 98 4v. After getting the kit(minus the Kmember) we did the installing ourselves. Now my garge is no machine shop by no means but it has the basic tools needed. ( lincoln 140c mig, vises, torches,etc...). That being said I also have a 2004 TR also. So Im not new to the game of Boost.

After recieving the On3 kit I noticed that most of the cold side was pretty nice aluminum pieces. The hot side not so Great but Ive seen ALOT worse. Ill get back to that in a moment... After installing everything, I was pretty pleased with the way it went together. Few fitment issues but nothing major. After a few dyno pulls, I was rewarded with an increase of Trq by 72 ft/lbs. From 486 to 558. HP went from 505 to 533. All in all I had just under $2000 in the kit.

NOW, for the other side of the story!! My friends 03 turbo cobra with Hellion Kit...

Im not in anyway Knocking the power of his car and matter of fact me and him have talked long hours in my shop about this subject. His car Made 655hp and 640 Trq on the dyno. The hellion Kit in my opinion was up to par considering the price of $6000+. That being said, it had a 76mm turbonetics. The same size downpipe and exhaust as the on3 kit. Actually the on3 kit of mine was a Stainless Steel exhaust. The crossover pipe was a 4'' down to 2x 1 3/4'' piping to clear the k member(upr). Just looked like SH!T!!! The leaks on the drain hose from turbo was terrible! the fitment was NO BETTER than that of the on3. The intercooler wasn't any bigger than mine.

Now my opinions.... If I had a choice, I would go for the Hellion Kit any day of the week! BUT the price of it was waaaayyy out of hand for the product that consisted of the kit. The on3 Kit can be purchased for around 1/3 of the cost. And the only major factor that we could see in difference between the kits was the Turbos. That being said, U can buy quality turbos for $1500 ALL DAY LONG.

Use your opinions to get what you pay for but Ive seen it first hand that a on3 Kit can be made NICER than a $6000 kit for a fraction of the cost.

I AM NO SALESMAN OR VENDOR!! JUST A WEEKEND WARRIOR LIKE MOST OF YOU GUYS..

Attaus

Established Member

Good idea in theory but B&G doesn't officially sell a 4V kit or t least hasn't for a while.

What about CG fab? I have access to the equipment necessary to build a custom hot side but given I have little practical experience and this will be my DD I just don't want to deal with routing or weak welds. I figure a previously pro charged car could be turbo'd for about $2.5k with the CG fab mild steel and a rebuilt holset or Garrett as the donor. Obviously a lot more could be spent but with enough patience to find the right deals it can be done.

MTBSully

Established Member
Look out for my 04 build thread coming up. Just ordered my 4V FF Kit last week. Will be running a turbonetics 7668 ball bearing and a tial WG and BOV. Hopefully will be pretty stout.

Users who are viewing this thread