On3 turbo

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I've got the original rear facing kit on my 96 Cobra.

I bought it with the expectation of making modifications as I'm running the non-turbo max motorsports k-member.

The cons stang8762 listed are fairly consistent with mine. I used an HPX slot style maf from the get go so I didn't have that problem.

The front pipe does hang a bit low so I raised the car with coil overs. The v-bands were junk. Expect to pay about $60 for new v-bands. I think the on3 v-bands would work if you only used them once but as you tighten and loosen them to make adjustments they start losing shape.

I too had to make my own turbo bracket.

I have a bit of a non-factory setup but I have so little clearance between the turbo and an underdrive waterpump pulley bolts that I can't even put a turbo blanket on it. I would be extremely surprised if a 76mm turbo would fit.

I would mostly agree with stang8762's list of supporting mods. (Some of those items you can find cheaper if you look around.) Although, under 17psi you can use a single 255 and boost-a-pump.

I'm waiting for the snow to clear to go dyno, but I'm expecting big numbers for 16psi. The car pulls freaking hard. I've also got a 472 rwhp eaton car and there's no comparison. I'm only running 14 degrees of timing too. Once I relocate the IAT after the methanol I suspect I'll bump that up a couple degrees.

Here's my build sheet:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GrJyMMzEhPvbmVv371CzQKu-u9Z_MTo8bq_MlUSTXqw/edit

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
Sounds to me like if your a person who wants to spend an extra $2500-3500 with a hellion kit and bolt it on and go , and you dont work on cars much and have a job or simebody to give you money so you dont have to work on a budget this kit isnt for you, BUT, if you know how to work on cars and or have a group of friends that have any mechanical skills and even a tad bit of patience , even with having to buy a few extra things you could still save quite a bit of cashola :)

If you wanted all that headache you could buy a bunch of mandrel bends, a turbo etc and build it exactly like you want

corysmach1

Established Member
I've got the original rear facing kit on my 96 Cobra.

I bought it with the expectation of making modifications as I'm running the non-turbo max motorsports k-member.

The cons stang8762 listed are fairly consistent with mine. I used an HPX slot style maf from the get go so I didn't have that problem.

The front pipe does hang a bit low so I raised the car with coil overs. The v-bands were junk. Expect to pay about $60 for new v-bands. I think the on3 v-bands would work if you only used them once but as you tighten and loosen them to make adjustments they start losing shape.

I too had to make my own turbo bracket.

I have a bit of a non-factory setup but I have so little clearance between the turbo and an underdrive waterpump pulley bolts that I can't even put a turbo blanket on it. I would be extremely surprised if a 76mm turbo would fit.

I would mostly agree with stang8762's list of supporting mods. (Some of those items you can find cheaper if you look around.) Although, under 17psi you can use a single 255 and boost-a-pump.

I'm waiting for the snow to clear to go dyno, but I'm expecting big numbers for 16psi. The car pulls freaking hard. I've also got a 472 rwhp eaton car and there's no comparison. I'm only running 14 degrees of timing too. Once I relocate the IAT after the methanol I suspect I'll bump that up a couple degrees.

Here's my build sheet:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GrJyMMzEhPvbmVv371CzQKu-u9Z_MTo8bq_MlUSTXqw/edit

Cant wait to see what it dynos....it should be a beast. Im doing the new on3 forward facing kit with the ball bearing t76... my motor will be forged with 10:5:1 comp with SRI intake on E85 at 18 psi. I hope it runs good.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
It's a shame about On3. If they just put in more effort I'm sure they could sell a decent quality COMPLETE kit to the community for around mid-high 3k that would fit worth a hell. Maybe not the same quality as Hellion but something that you wouldn't have to worry much about and would make killer power.

That with a decent support system and they would be on fire. I respect them for trying to bring a budget kit to the community but they definitely went way overboard with it.

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member
I have a built teskid block and was thinking of running the 7675 precision turbo.What turbo you running to hit the 700s,thats where my goal is.

Whats the full specs on your complete motor? And i was gonna just get the on3 kits ball bearing t76.... but i also thought about getting the kit and just going with my own turbo....which if i did that i would go with a precision 76.

95mustang_gt

Established Member
will be 18cc Dished cp pistons,03 cobra rods,and cobra crank. still debating on porting the C heads and cobra intake. going to stick with stock cams.

95mustang_gt

Established Member
8.5:1 and fuel I'm sure yet but looking at 80lb injectors,cobra tank with two gt pumps and 2 fpdm.But I'm still thinking about doing a return system .

CobraGixxer

Established Member
Ive installed On3 kits on my 86 coupe.
And on a few friends cars ie: 03 GT (forward facing kit), 02 GT (4valve swapped), 02 GT, 88 coupe and an 08 GT.

Besides a few tweeks for fitment, all were complete and easy to install. All the cars are still running the kit daily with out any issues.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ Are any of those cars built motors, or running more than the usual 7-9psi? Just wondering since there doesn't seem to be whole lot of high hp cars running this kit...

CobraGixxer

Established Member
^ Are any of those cars built motors, or running more than the usual 7-9psi? Just wondering since there doesn't seem to be whole lot of high hp cars running this kit...

Built motor cars:
1. My 86 coupe with a 306, dart heads and a TCI C4 made 506rwhp and 528rwtq on 12psi.

2. We just installed the kit on the 88 coupe last weekend which has a 410 stroker, 11-1 compression, ported to hell afr 225 heads, blow thru carb and on 8 psi partial street tune it made 513rwhp and 586rwtq at 4500 rpm's which is where we ended the pull until he can get some miles on the build.

3. The 02 GT with the forward facing kit has a VT built shortblock but stock heads and cams. It made 580rwhp and 540rwtq on 18 psi.

Stock motor cars:
4. The 02 gt with the 4valve swap is a stock 93 lincoln Mark VIII motor and thru a built 4r70w and t76 upgrade it made 395rwhp cant remember trq on 7-8 psi.

5. The 08 GT was completely stock and on 8 psi made 430rwhp.

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member
Built motor cars:
1. My 86 coupe with a 306, dart heads and a TCI C4 made 506rwhp and 528rwtq on 12psi.

2. We just installed the kit on the 88 coupe last weekend which has a 410 stroker, 11-1 compression, ported to hell afr 225 heads, blow thru carb and on 8 psi partial street tune it made 513rwhp and 586rwtq at 4500 rpm's which is where we ended the pull until he can get some miles on the build.

3. The 02 GT with the forward facing kit has a VT built shortblock but stock heads and cams. It made 580rwhp and 540rwtq on 18 psi.

Stock motor cars:
4. The 02 gt with the 4valve swap is a stock 93 lincoln Mark VIII motor and thru a built 4r70w and t76 upgrade it made 395rwhp cant remember trq on 7-8 psi.

5. The 08 GT was completely stock and on 8 psi made 430rwhp.

I cant wait to see what mine makes!:banana:

on3performance

I had it taken from the site when it was just me in here and generally was just doing emails and answering as many calls as possible. I have new help finally and I do need to get that added back on the site as I do have a dedicated phone person now

Users who are viewing this thread