On3 turbo

Monster Mach

Established Member
First off let's keep this serious and do not comment on it unless you have experiance with the vehicle.. in other words not my buddy said bla bla.. unless you have seen it malfunction or work perfectly please don't comment because frankly I don't care.
Search is useless since the kits have changed so much.
Car is a 4v 4.6 in a mach 1.
what are the pros and cons of your kit (or your friends kit)?

Fitment good?
Daily drivability?
Customer service?
Durability?
Leaks preventable?

Anyone datalog for the tune? I don't have ANY shops around.

Let's hear it folks.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I just did their forward facing kit. Overall? I think it was crap, but I will elaborate.

It didnt fit without hacking the car all to shit. It was designed off of a 99 cobra, apparently there is enough differences in suspension and how the radiator fan fits in the car to make a large difference. I had issues with the waste gates hitting the ABS pump (different design on the cobra) and the AC compressor pulley. On3's response to this was "just bend them". The merge pipe conflicts with the radiator, I had to chop it all to hell and it still made contact, made it work though.

ModularSpeed and myself have also had issues with the passenger side exhaust sealing. The flange to the manifold isnt straight and/or flat, so that leaks. He managed to fix it by stacking three carbon composite gaskets together, Im taking it to a shop to have new flanges welded on.

The kit also claims to be 100% bolt on and go. It is not. There are several little parts and peices that you need to buy to make it work, and most of the material you get with the kit is of terrible quality and will need replaced. Some of it was flat missing.

The steel used to make the pipe was surprsiningly thick, but the welds and craftmanship largely sucked. The merge pipe was hacked together and half ass welded, he left a bunch of burs in it, I had to go through with a grinder and clean it out.

I wouldnt dream of putting the vbands that came with the kit on a lawn mower, those needed to go. They were shallow and the shoulders of it were mostly bent out or wavy, no way they would make good contact. All the rubber boots and clamps were too small to make a good seal on the cold side, not cut straight, or the clamps would just fall apart or strip. Gotta replace those too.

The suspension was probably the highest quality part of the whole deal, I think the reason is simply its not from On3. On3 doesnt specify that you also will need CC plates, offset rack bushings, and a bumpsteer kit. Take note of that.

The directions for installing the kit was poorley written in word pad, and the pictures are barely visable. You should be able to figure out the majority of the kit without it though.

When its all said in done, you get what you pay for. I knew this going into it, and I think I ended up paying what I would have paid for a quality kit by having to buy all the little things that didnt come with it or needed replaced. Looking back, I would have no doubt went with another company, such as hellion.

Who knows, maybe I got a bad kit. But considering on3 didnt have any other answers for me on why I was having these crazy fitment issues other than "dunno, worked for me on my cobra" and "just bend it or cut it", I would say its just a poor design.

here are some pictures to back up my claims.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-08-15_090549.jpg
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-08-15_18-33-59_147.jpg
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-09-23_18-01-24_582.jpg

hope this helps.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I just did their forward facing kit. Overall? I think it was crap, but I will elaborate.

It didnt fit without hacking the car all to shit. It was designed off of a 99 cobra, apparently there is enough differences in suspension and how the radiator fan fits in the car to make a large difference. I had issues with the waste gates hitting the ABS pump (different design on the cobra) and the AC compressor pulley. On3's response to this was "just bend them". The merge pipe conflicts with the radiator, I had to chop it all to hell and it still made contact, made it work though.

ModularSpeed and myself have also had issues with the passenger side exhaust sealing. The flange to the manifold isnt straight and/or flat, so that leaks. He managed to fix it by stacking three carbon composite gaskets together, Im taking it to a shop to have new flanges welded on.

The kit also claims to be 100% bolt on and go. It is not. There are several little parts and peices that you need to buy to make it work, and most of the material you get with the kit is of terrible quality and will need replaced. Some of it was flat missing.

The steel used to make the pipe was surprsiningly thick, but the welds and craftmanship largely sucked. The merge pipe was hacked together and half ass welded, he left a bunch of burs in it, I had to go through with a grinder and clean it out.

I wouldnt dream of putting the vbands that came with the kit on a lawn mower, those needed to go. They were shallow and the shoulders of it were mostly bent out or wavy, no way they would make good contact. All the rubber boots and clamps were too small to make a good seal on the cold side, not cut straight, or the clamps would just fall apart or strip. Gotta replace those too.

The suspension was probably the highest quality part of the whole deal, I think the reason is simply its not from On3. On3 doesnt specify that you also will need CC plates, offset rack bushings, and a bumpsteer kit. Take note of that.

The directions for installing the kit was poorley written in word pad, and the pictures are barely visable. You should be able to figure out the majority of the kit without it though.

When its all said in done, you get what you pay for. I knew this going into it, and I think I ended up paying what I would have paid for a quality kit by having to buy all the little things that didnt come with it or needed replaced. Looking back, I would have no doubt went with another company, such as hellion.

Who knows, maybe I got a bad kit. But considering on3 didnt have any other answers for me on why I was having these crazy fitment issues other than "dunno, worked for me on my cobra" and "just bend it or cut it", I would say its just a poor design.

here are some pictures to back up my claims.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-08-15_090549.jpg
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-08-15_18-33-59_147.jpg
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/static74/2011-09-23_18-01-24_582.jpg

hope this helps.

Anyone else have claims this place is shit

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Well, Mike, the kid that runs this chinese circus is banned from most of the mustang forums, including the turbo forums and I think he is even banned here. That should tell you something too. It's too bad really, with better business decisions and customer support, I think he really would have been on to something.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Well, Mike, the kid that runs this chinese circus is banned from most of the mustang forums, including the turbo forums and I think he is even banned here. That should tell you something too. It's too bad really, with better business decisions and customer support, I think he really would have been on to something.

Damn that's shitty

Fast?notyet

Established Member
man i didnt know he had been banned always wondered why he wasn't on the forums any but i did notice that Jegs has started selling the on3 kits seems like they would run into some of this. i would call them and ask a tech guy. lol not that they would talk badly about something that they sale. I just finished cutting up my down pipe and getting rid of all of the rediculous restrictions in it My kit was Pro-Turbo kit just for reference stay away from those also, They are out of business as far as i know but in case you run across a used one don't do it. Most people can't do the hotside plumbing would you suggest that part of the kit at all as a starting point STATIC?

04Cobra85

Established Member

agreed! He dont know crap and is unless for customer support. i got the kit and put it on my cobra fittment wasnt really good at all. i got it on and it hauls ass but down side is like every one says v-bands are junk and flanges have a fee issues. but was it worth the money yes was it worth the hassle looking for and fitting parts hell no.

04Cobra85

Established Member
but if you do buy a kit buy it from jegs they give 3 year warranty on what they sell on3 only gives 90 days.

stang8762

Established Member
Ive had the original gen 1 on3 kit on my 99 cobra for about two years and its still going strong . Yeah i did have some issues with fitment at the v-bands but instead of rtv, i used gaskets, and they all seal perfectly . Im running the master power turbo . It took me a weekend to install and another weekend to fine tune things and adjust pipes .

Things i liked:
Cheap Price to go fast
Stainless piping was good enough for me , nice welds
came packaged nice
all components worked except the lower radiator hose ( i bought a universal flex hose)
V-bands were thick and worked flawlessly ( maybe i got diff ones than everyone)
Drivability is great with a good tune . U can drive it like it is stock ! but when you get on it all hell breaks loose!!

Did not like
On3 mass air sucked! and my tuner said the MAF counts were all over the place so i got a HPX slot style mass air
lower Radiator hose
horse shoe pipe rubs my tire on full lock ( but i am running 18x9 w/ 275 tires)
Piping hangs low in front ( you just need keep a eye on speed bumps)
Turbo bracket ( made my own)
wish they made a kit to use the stock k-member!! but everyone goes this route .
wish i had less piping and forward facing headers ( which they now offer)
The guy they have answering the phone doesnt know shit .. I answered my own questions

This is just my experience and some have had bad and good ones ..

All in all it got me too 500 hp on a stock 99 cobra motor for a cheap price . Yeah there was some modification and adjustment of pipes but with a little time and patience, it gets fine tuned and works how its suppose too . I wouldn't hesitate to run this kit again! Now im running a built motor and one day i will turn up the boost but for now at 500hp its a great street car .

Other supporting mods i purchased :
60lb injectors
AEM wide band
Boost gauge
03/04 tank and pumps
Sct tuner
Tuned at EFI Logics
Exhaust gaskets for v-band sealing

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Ive had the original gen 1 on3 kit on my 99 cobra for about two years and its still going strong . Yeah i did have some issues with fitment at the v-bands but instead of rtv, i used gaskets, and they all seal perfectly . Im running the master power turbo . It took me a weekend to install and another weekend to fine tune things and adjust pipes .

Things i liked:
Cheap Price to go fast
Stainless piping was good enough for me , nice welds
came packaged nice
all components worked except the lower radiator hose ( i bought a universal flex hose)
V-bands were thick and worked flawlessly ( maybe i got diff ones than everyone)
Drivability is great with a good tune . U can drive it like it is stock ! but when you get on it all hell breaks loose!!

Did not like
On3 mass air sucked! and my tuner said the MAF counts were all over the place so i got a HPX slot style mass air
lower Radiator hose
horse shoe pipe rubs my tire on full lock ( but i am running 18x9 w/ 275 tires)
Piping hangs low in front ( you just need keep a eye on speed bumps)
Turbo bracket ( made my own)
wish they made a kit to use the stock k-member!! but everyone goes this route .
wish i had less piping and forward facing headers ( which they now offer)
The guy they have answering the phone doesnt know shit .. I answered my own questions

This is just my experience and some have had bad and good ones ..

All in all it got me too 500 hp on a stock 99 cobra motor for a cheap price . Yeah there was some modification and adjustment of pipes but with a little time and patience, it gets fine tuned and works how its suppose too . I wouldn't hesitate to run this kit again! Now im running a built motor and one day i will turn up the boost but for now at 500hp its a great street car .

Other supporting mods i purchased :
60lb injectors
AEM wide band
Boost gauge
03/04 tank and pumps
Sct tuner
Tuned at EFI Logics
Exhaust gaskets for v-band sealing

All in all how much do you think it cost in the long run?

stang8762

Established Member
This is what i spent 2 years ago . I bought everything new except the cobra tank and pumps . You could find a lot used on ebay or classifieds.

On 3 turbo kit w/ shipping and Masterpower turbo upgrade: $2123.00

Qa1 K member , A-arms & Coilovers : $549.00

Upr Caster/ Camber plates , Bumpsteer Kit & Offset Rack bushings : $282.92

Subtotal: $2954.92
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supporting Mods

60lb injectors: $345.00
HPX Mass air: 199.00
Mass air flange: $39.99
Mass air harness to convert to 05 slot style – $69.00
Sct tuner : $299.00
Efi logics Tune : $500.00
03/04 cobra tank and pumps :$700.00
AEM wide band : $185.00
Boost / vacuum gauge: $60.00
Gauge pod : $35.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal : $5386.92

Other Crap

extra Header Wrap 3 rolls ( i wrapped every pipe) : $100.00
7 feet Vacuume Hose
5- 3” OBX v-band gaskets : $30.00
2- 2.5” OBX v-band gaskets
Brake Clean
4 cans DEI – High Heat Paint : 7.99

Don't be afraid of the price this is pretty much everything i bought , not necessarily what you will need . Obviously you dont have to buy the cobra tank and pumps, wideband or boost gauge or spend what i did on the mass air setup also you dont need 60lb injectors... I am a perfectionist and just wanted everything to work perfectly and have room to grow. Seeing that the On 3 turbo kit saved me money i was able to afford going this route and get all the crap i wanted .

Last edited:

stang8762

Established Member
I put down 455hp/ 396 tq.. at about 7-8psi . At that time i was running 4.30 Gears and a hurt motor hence the low numbers . I ended up rebuilding the motor and found a cracked ringland .. not related to the turbo kit . But i havent got a retune yet . Probably going to throw a boost-A-Pump, FPMD Wire upgrade and change my gears since they suck for a turbo car and then do a retune . It still moves like a bastard though so im in no rush !

Oh and i def recommend a shift light such as a raptor!! With the turbo this engine loves to rev ! but the stock components dont like much past 6500-7000 and the stock tach is way off in the higher rpm !! Little piece of insurance along with a rev limiter.

Hope this helps , this is just my experience and some would do it diff ..But i dont care.

There are also pics in the webshots link below

Last edited:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
old friend of mine put one on his '01 bullitt. nothing but leaks and fitment issues. not to mention all the parts it DOESNT come with. plenty of trips to home depot and autozone. more headaches were had than fun with the car, in and out of the shop 2-3 times to try to get things runnin properly. not even close to worth it IMO.

1slow4v

A family friend purchased an On 3 kit for his 01 Cobra, and I ended up going over all of the welds for him. I will ask him to send me pics. They are of extremely poor quality, I would expect this kind of quality from a novice welder, but not from someone marketing a finished product. A lot of the fitment was terrible, and even after he contacted them he received the same story as Static. I actually ended up fabbing some the parts for him to make them work. I personally would follow the yee' old saying of "Pay now or pay later..."

Oh, and ModularSpeed did a build thread on this, if you want I can send you a link..

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Turbo

Sounds to me like if your a person who wants to spend an extra $2500-3500 with a hellion kit and bolt it on and go , and you dont work on cars much and have a job or simebody to give you money so you dont have to work on a budget this kit isnt for you, BUT, if you know how to work on cars and or have a group of friends that have any mechanical skills and even a tad bit of patience , even with having to buy a few extra things you could still save quite a bit of cashola :)

corysmach1

Established Member
Sounds to me like if your a person who wants to spend an extra $2500-3500 with a hellion kit and bolt it on and go , and you dont work on cars much and have a job or simebody to give you money so you dont have to work on a budget this kit isnt for you, BUT, if you know how to work on cars and or have a group of friends that have any mechanical skills and even a tad bit of patience , even with having to buy a few extra things you could still save quite a bit of cashola :)

Exzactly....thats why im lucky to be friends with you!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
This isn't all the way true. A lot of people on here love to work on cars, but most don't have access to pipe benders and welders.

61mmstang94

Established Member
It goes for just about anything in life that you buy. You can go cheap but it'll cost you one way or another in the long run. You get what you pay for and turbo kits certainly follow under that rule.

If a quality kit (meaning fitment, materials used, weld qualiy, turbo, intercooler, waste gate, bov, etc.) could be had for that cheap then places that actually make good kits and charge more wouldnt be in business. But there is a reason people who want to do it right buy a nice kit. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread