On the fence between upgrading to 3.73's or 4.10's.

5.0jake

Established Member
On the fence between upgrading to 3.73's or 4.10's.
I now have 3.31's and the car is pretty fast but just doesnt feel that fast.
The power seem to be too spread out between the 6 gears to me. 6th is useless. I think these gears zap a lot of the fun out of this car:sleeping:
I don't really plan on modding unitl my warranty runs out.

What I want from gears:

I don't really care about mpg or shifting into 5th during a 1/4mile run
All and all I want is to feel more torque in all of the gears part, half and full throttle as much as I can without modding the engine. I'm thinking gears and weight reduction.
I did test drive a 3.73 GT but only could feel part throttle which didn't seem much different than my gears other than a little more urgent and connected. I couldn'd floor it because the salesman
was an old douche...
One guy I talked to said the 4.10's transformed the car.
Another guy I taked to that upgraded to the 3.73's wished he had gotten the 4.10's

3.73 concerns: Wont pull that much harder than the 3.31's to really satisfy:shrug:

4.10 concerns: loss of traction and loss of upper end power.
Too much gear?

stang1971

Established Member
rsktakr has 331's in his and i can 60' alot better with my 373's... now with that being said fri night i shit the spider gears out the diff and i am forced to buy new gears as it tore up the stock 373's... i am going with 410's.. so in a few days i will report how much different they feel.

stang910

Established Member
I love the 3.73's in my car and won't be changing them, but I think it could use a little more gear. 4.10's should be perfect IMO.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I'm going with 4.10's.. Installing them on Friday, and going to track on Saturday.. I'll report back.

I'm going from 3.31's, btw.. 6spd manual.

Car will also have a pump gas tune, Steeda CAI, and Nitto DR's.

Travis

grnenvy

Established Member
Whats the 1st gear ratio in the manual trans? If you take it to ford and you buy the gears from the parts department they will install them and you will keep the warrenty!! They are doing mine for $500 labor and $300 for the gears. Yes I can do it myself and do it cheaper but guess what no warrenty!!

5.0jake

Established Member
Whats the 1st gear ratio in the manual trans? If you take it to ford and you buy the gears from the parts department they will install them and you will keep the warrenty!! They are doing mine for $500 labor and $300 for the gears. Yes I can do it myself and do it cheaper but guess what no warrenty!!

I got a similar quote and they are cool about the 4.10's with calibration under warranty as long as they do the install.:coolman:
A guy from another forum thinks 4.10's on a stock GT would be the slowest of the gear choices at the track due to having to shift into 5th but I disagree especially if there is traction.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
of the two i'd say 4.10s.....but i have 4.30s in mine and love them and stayed out of it the other day and got 21mpg lol

5.0jake

Established Member

1st 3.66
My Ford service doesn't care where I purchase the gears as long as they are Ford Racing and they do the install.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
I have been reading some other forums and people have stating some contradicting things. What is true and what isn't? :

Its hard to even tell a difference between 3.73's and 4.10's.

Night and day difference going from 3.27-4.10 . It's best bang for the buck besides nitrous.

After 80 a 3.73's car will beat a 4.10 car...although in a 1/4 the 4.10's should be ahead enough for it not to matter....But if your racing to 120

300-500 extra rpm's will wear your engine out faster

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
You can definitely tell a differnce between 3.73's and 4.10's.. Sure, it's not as drastic as going from a 3.27 or 3.31 to 4.10's, but, there's a very noticeable difference.

It really just depends on the trans and the tire size.. I wouldn't say that a 3.73 car automatically beats a 4.10 car on top end.

3.90's aren't made by Ford Racing, but, it's another option. I have a set in my '04, and they're pretty quiet.

Travis

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The thing to keep in mind is the size of wheels and tires people tend to run on these cars. They usually run a taller combo than on earlier platforms. This would tend to make 4.10s a better choice on an S-197 car.

GTtoSVT

Established Member
Hey Grn,

Is your car automatic? If so what gears are you getting. I am curious because I just picked up my 11 GT auto and not sure what mods to do.

I will probably see you around Tampa sooner or later..Im kona blue with over the top white stripes :D

Thanks man

Brian

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
I googled "RPM Gear Calculator" and there are a mess of calculators that give you an idea on rpm or vehicle speed when you change the variables. Here are my results.

Engine RPM: 1996.71182622605
Vehicle Speed: 70mph
Rear End Gear: 3.73
5.0/5.8 spec 6th Gear
235-50-18 Tires

Engine RPM: 2194.77707440397
Vehicle Speed: 70mph
Read End Gear: 4.10
5.0/5.8 spec 6th Gear
235-50-18 Tires

So with these factors, it is only a 198rpm difference between the two gears on the freeway at 70mph.
You can plug in your tire size if you have larger or smaller diameter tires to see how it affect your speed and rpm.

I hope this helps.

5.0jake

Established Member
There's a 3.90 gear, too.. FYI..
The cobra seems to do ok with 4.10's at the upper end:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu95R1uOmwA&feature=related"]YouTube - 03 cobra 75 to 155mph with 4.10 gears[/nomedia]

I wonder which is faster stock between the 4.10's and 3.73's from a 80-150 roll?
Since there is a supposed upper end power loss with the 4.10, or is that bunk?

Last edited:

stang1971

Established Member
my mechanic that put my gears in just called.. he said the car has alot more low end to it now. he told me to break them in and come take him for a nitrous ride :rockon:

he drove my car before and said its night and day difference now...

5.0jake

Established Member
Sounds good, this car needs more bottom end!!(of coarse I'm talking from a stock GT with 3.31's perspective :sleeping:) I just hope the top end is still strong as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread