oil

bglf83

Established Member
im going to get my oil changed at 500 miles since the vehicle sat on the lot for 10 months and never had an oil change. what oil should i use? i used penzoil in my old dakota, is that fine for now in my lightning? like 5-30. thanks

brandon

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
For the money, I like Mobil 1. I figure a full synthetic changed every 3000 is pretty safe, and now they make one spec. for 5-20. Just my .02.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Red Line Syntec 10W30 and K&N oil filter. Actually, all my fluids are redline....gear oil, trans etc.

bglf83

Established Member
i thought you should wait till 5000 miles before you went to synthetic.

brandon

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Did you guys know that a K&N oil filter has the same type filter media as a Motorcraft? The only diff. is the thickness of the shell and the bolt head on the top. I used to peddle speed parts at Super Shops, and found interesting facts in the catalogs and stuff. Both filter to 4 microns if I remember right, and yes, they flow the same, too.

bglf83

Established Member
so at 500 miles i should start synthetic and everything will be cool.

thanks

SNKBITE

Established Member
I went to Castrol synthetic at 1200 miles in my Lightning, and used Fram PH-2 fliters. Beat on it at the track for the next 10,000 miles and NEVER had an issue. I did however change oil every 1500 miles.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
Ive ran Mobil 1 5w30 since 1,000 miles but im changing to Mobil 1 0w20 tonight when i change the oil. Go with the motorcraft 820S filter.

Last edited:

bglf83

Established Member
how is 0w20 sufficient, isnt that too thin for the southern states where it will get hot in the spring.

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by bglf83
im going to get my oil changed at 500 miles since the vehicle sat on the lot for 10 months and never had an oil change. what oil should i use? i used penzoil in my old dakota, is that fine for now in my lightning? like 5-30. thanks

brandon

Like many others I recommend going with Mobile 1 5W30 and that you stick with the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter. Personally, I would not go to synthetic oil until your L has about 4,000 to 5,000 miles on it. Stick with regular dino oil til then. There are many schools of thought on this but I do believe the majority say it is better to break in the engine a bit before going to synthetic. Also, if the truck has been sitting a long time since manufacture I also recommend you change your fuel filter as soon as possible. Stick with the Motorcraft FG 986B fuel filter. Before you attempt to change the fuel filter come here and research how to do the fuel filter change and the tool you need to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread