Oil

Rainier42

Established Member
I was responding to the OP's remark that MC isn't a great oil because it shears to a lower viscosity. There's simply too much evidence that it is a good product, regardless of whether it shears or not. In fact, given that it's probably sheared since the get-go, I suspect that Ford's engineers actually like it that way.

Are there better products than Motorcraft? Maybe, although, as far as I can tell, 100% of the non-Motorcraft alternatives don't actually meet Ford's WSS-M2C931-B specification. However, if you don't care that the oil you're using in your engine has 25% more phosphorus than the maximum that Ford allows in their spec, then you have whole range of competing products to choose from. Personally, I've used Motorcraft, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge and they've all worked fine.

Well, why start out using an oil that shears. Why not start out with a better quality Xw40 that won't shear?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Well, why start out using an oil that shears. Why not start out with a better quality Xw40 that won't shear?

We've agreed that Ford's engineers aren't stupid, and they've said that at the very least, the engine needs an oil that meets WSS-M2C931-B. In order to qualify as a "better quality oil", any oil must therefore, at the very least, actually meet WSS-M2C931-B. Beyond achieving that minimum certification, it must also offer performance benefits above and beyond those offered by oils that only barely meet WSS-M2C931-B.

Is there an Xw-40 that does that?

Last edited:

Rainier42

Established Member
None that I'm aware of but that doesn't mean there aren't Xw-40 oils out there with better properties than Rotorcraft 5w50. Regardless ... Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, McLaren, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler, VW, etc etc engineers aren't stupid either and none of these others recommend a 5w50 or Motorcraft oil, which is made by Conoco-Philips.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
None that I'm aware of but that doesn't mean there aren't Xw-40 oils out there with better properties than Rotorcraft 5w50. Regardless ... Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, McLaren, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Chrysler, VW, etc etc engineers aren't stupid either and none of these others recommend a 5w50 or Motorcraft oil, which is made by Conoco-Philips.

Your point is well made and you are mostly correct. Every manufacturer on your list has their own specifications for engine oils that depend on the engine family. The challenge is the specifications, not the oil products. 5w-50 oils that meet the Porsche A40 spec are included on the A40 list while Ferrari and BMW both require 10w-60 oils for some of their engines. GM has Dexos in two different versions, BMW has LL98, LL01 and LL14 and other variants, an so on. What's important here is that the specs are different and the oils that meet them are different - oils on the Porsche A40 list don't overlap with oils on the Porsche C30 list. Oils on BMW LL-01 don't overlap with oils on the LL14 list. Some oils are on Porsche A40 and on BMW LL-01, but the match isn't 100%.

So, if we accept that oil for a Ferrari should meet Ferrari specs, and oil for Porsche should meet Porsche specs, and so on, then we have to accept that oil for a Ford should meet Ford specs. Once you're got a product over that minimum threshold, the sky's the limit.

If you otherwise don't think that meeting the spec is important, then you're thinking like Dr A E Haas. He posts on a number of boards about running 5w20 oil in his Ferrari Enzo and in his wife's Lambo. He's perfectly rational and he has run low viscosity oils in his cars for a decade with no ill effects. Should everybody do it because he does? I guess it depends on whether you can afford to rebuild an Enzo (or Voodoo) engine if the experiment doesn't work out.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We've agreed that Ford's engineers aren't stupid, and they've said that at the very least, the engine needs an oil that meets WSS-M2C931-B. In order to qualify as a "better quality oil", any oil must therefore, at the very least, actually meet WSS-M2C931-B. Beyond achieving that minimum certification, it must also offer performance benefits above and beyond those offered by oils that only barely meet WSS-M2C931-B.

Is there an Xw-40 that does that?

Are you sure that it's the engineers that come up with those ever changing specifications (that only Motorctaft oil can keep up with), and not a bean counter that would like to ensure that more Motorcraft oil is sold? From its inception Motorcraft 5w50 has always been a marketing gimmick.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Are you sure that it's the engineers that come up with those ever changing specifications (that only Motorctaft oil can keep up with), and not a bean counter that would like to ensure that more Motorcraft oil is sold? From its inception Motorcraft 5w50 has always been a marketing gimmick.

I'm running Chevron Supreme 5w-20 in my Explorer. It cost me less than $2 a quart with free shipping on Amazon at Christmas. I'm thinking that any oil priced higher than $2 a quart is probably a "marketing gimmick".

1stShelby

Established Member
Here is an interesting read on oil. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Very interesting article and the Motorcraft 5W50 actually comes off looking pretty good. I still prefer the AMSOIL 5W50 for the extended drain interval because at 10 quarts per fill I just can't pay the Ford price and change every 3000 miles, which is about all the miles I will put on this car in a year.

Last edited:

Rainier42

Established Member
Your point is well made and you are mostly correct. Every manufacturer on your list has their own specifications for engine oils that depend on the engine family. The challenge is the specifications, not the oil products. 5w-50 oils that meet the Porsche A40 spec are included on the A40 list while Ferrari and BMW both require 10w-60 oils for some of their engines. GM has Dexos in two different versions, BMW has LL98, LL01 and LL14 and other variants, an so on. What's important here is that the specs are different and the oils that meet them are different - oils on the Porsche A40 list don't overlap with oils on the Porsche C30 list. Oils on BMW LL-01 don't overlap with oils on the LL14 list. Some oils are on Porsche A40 and on BMW LL-01, but the match isn't 100%.

So, if we accept that oil for a Ferrari should meet Ferrari specs, and oil for Porsche should meet Porsche specs, and so on, then we have to accept that oil for a Ford should meet Ford specs. Once you're got a product over that minimum threshold, the sky's the limit.

If you otherwise don't think that meeting the spec is important, then you're thinking like Dr A E Haas. He posts on a number of boards about running 5w20 oil in his Ferrari Enzo and in his wife's Lambo. He's perfectly rational and he has run low viscosity oils in his cars for a decade with no ill effects. Should everybody do it because he does? I guess it depends on whether you can afford to rebuild an Enzo (or Voodoo) engine if the experiment doesn't work out.

Yes, am questioning the Motorcraft 5w50 oil. This 5w50 starts out with a Kinematic Viscosity at 100 degrees C at a 19 but shears to a 13.6 within 1000 miles. I can start with a higher quality 0w40 that will stay at a 14.8 over the entire life of the oil so it can't be the lubrication property at temperature that Ford engineers are concerned about. My guess is, and as another has pointed out, the issue is the level of Phosphorus in the oil, which Ford engineers are concerned about.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've never seen an Amsoil refinery in my life. They buy the base stocks from someone, and I've heard from a few sources it's Mobil.

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the horses mouth, at least I thought it was his mouth.

What kind of base stocks does AMSOIL use? Are AMSOIL synthetic lubricants PAO-based?

Answer: AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Yes, am questioning the Motorcraft 5w50 oil. This 5w50 starts out with a Kinematic Viscosity at 100 degrees C at a 19 but shears to a 13.6 within 1000 miles. I can start with a higher quality 0w40 that will stay at a 14.8 over the entire life of the oil so it can't be the lubrication property at temperature that Ford engineers are concerned about. My guess is, and as another has pointed out, the issue is the level of Phosphorus in the oil, which Ford engineers are concerned about.

This goes to the heart of the issue - the challenge is that you have to believe that an oil that shears is "low quality". Like Motorcraft 5w-50, Castrol TWS 10w60, exclusive for BMW "M" cars until 2014 or so, shears to a 10w-50 within 100 miles. But, Ford fills its factory-built race-cars with Motorcraft 5w-50 and BMW Motorsport fills their factory-built race-cars with Castrol TWS 10w-60. Apparently, other characteristics of the oil matter more to the manufacturers than viscosity retention. We don't know what those factors are, just that they're important.

As for the phosphorus thing, while there appears to be only one 5w-50 that meets the 800PPM limit, there are lots of Xw-40 oils that meet it. Redline Euro-series 5w-40 has less than 800PPM phosphorus, for instance. Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40 is another product with less than 800PPM. I'm sure if I'd looked longer, I'd have examples from Castrol, Mobil and Shell as well. So why didn't Ford change the spec from 5w-50 to 5w-40 so that all those oils would qualify? I have no idea!

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
So why didn't Ford change the spec from 5w-50 to 5w-40 so that all those oils would qualify? I have no idea!

Because they want you to buy the oil from them. By changing the specs every time someone else meets them, you maintain the monopoly. It is just not profitable for other oil companies to go through recertification every time Ford decides to change the requirements. The majority of the oil companies don't even offer a 5W50 oil due to the limited market.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Because they want you to buy the oil from them. By changing the specs every time someone else meets them, you maintain the monopoly. It is just not profitable for other oil companies to go through recertification every time Ford decides to change the requirements. The majority of the oil companies don't even offer a 5W50 oil due to the limited market.

Exactly correct.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Motorcraft 5w-50 does exactly what Ford Performance wants it to do. Your owner's manual says so. The Ford engineers that built these cars aren't stupid.

Blind trust of authority is a dangerous thing. You obviously werent around when the bean counters changed the 5W-30 spec to 5W-20 in 2001 for the exact same Cobra engine. Didnt matter how loud the engineers screamed, Ford was able to save a bundle by meeting CAFE standards. In the engineers words: "whatever you do, do not run 5W-20 weight oil in your 4 valve engine". Even though it was spec'd in the owners manual and on the fill cap.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Blind trust of authority is a dangerous thing. You obviously werent around when the bean counters changed the 5W-30 spec to 5W-20 in 2001 for the exact same Cobra engine. Didnt matter how loud the engineers screamed, Ford was able to save a bundle by meeting CAFE standards. In the engineers words: "whatever you do, do not run 5W-20 weight oil in your 4 valve engine". Even though it was spec'd in the owners manual and on the fill cap.

I think this is the opposite of that situation. Besides, despite all the concern and the "don't do it" advisories, there's no pile of dead engines as a result of switching to 5w20.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Dr. Haas proved years ago that factory "recommendations" don't always mean anything. Your intended use of the vehicle can change a lot.

Motorcraft 5W-50 is "sufficient" to get the job done. It rapidly shears to a light 40 grade within 1,500 miles and a heavy 30 grade in less than 5,000 miles. This isn't a trait of a top tier true synthetic formulation, because it's not a top tier true synthetic. It boggles me why people will spend 50K-65K on a Mustang, then rely on a "sufficient" lubricant.

If you want the best 5W-50 on the plant, you choose Amsoil Signature 5W-50. It meets Ford's Ford WSS-M2C931-C specification, has far lower NOACK Volatiilty (evaporation) - less condensed oil in your intake, catch can, valves, combustion chambers, etc. Higher shear resistance, as it will maintain a higher viscosity far longer than Motorcraft. Lower frictional coefficient of a true PAO/Ester synthetic base oil. Lower friction = lower heat, lower wear, and a longer lasting engine. Amsoil 5W-50 has a far longer oil change interval than Motorcraft too. 1 year or 15,000 miles (whichever occur first) in your 8-10 quart sump. I can go on for days, but these are the key points of difference. Do you want "sufficient" or "optimal"?

Now, for street use.....5W-50 is a bit excessive. We've proven this years ago in the GT500 platform. That's why Amsoil's new Signature 0W-40 is the best thing going for your street driven (NO HPDE) GT350. I'd reserve Amsoil's 5W-50 formulation for cars in HPDE events.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread