oil weights

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Well here's the deal I have a case of royal purple 10-30 and possibly unlimited free access to more is there any dis advantages vs running the 5-30 that I usually run?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Using that lubricant in temperatures of 32*F or higher will yield no ill benefits. I honestly prefer a true synthetic 10W-30 to a refined petroleum base stock 5W-30, especially in warm/hot weather.

If you were starting the car in sub 32*F weather more than once a day, and for many months of the year. I'd prefer a robust 0W-30 weight myself. You will do fine with Royal Purple 10W-30 in the spring, summer, and fall months. Do you store the car in the winter, or drive it year round?

Last edited:

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Stored winters and rarely drove in summers... Now what about 03 cobras I hear they take 5-20 any dis advantages in running 10-30 there?

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
If you have a free everlasting supply of Royal Purple 10W-30, USE IT! Even better if you tell me it's the older API SL formulation, or the newer HPS.

Why 10W-30?

We run royal purple in all our equipment at work all types of weights in 55 gal drums and cases so they don't mind my one oil change a year.. I ended up getting a dealer discount on 5 30 @ advanced thru a friend but its good to know I can run 10 30 thanks

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Thanks UB and Sid. I'll be using the HPS 10W30 in the Cobra now. Any ill effects on cams, say Crower Stage 3's?

03dsgdreams

Established Member
HPS is extremely robust.

Can Royal purple HPS harm the emissions system in my stock 2012 GT? Why does ford reccomend 5w-20 for most weather conditions when all the enthusiasts on this forum and one's similar to it with any knowledge in oil viscosity advise against it?
:shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Can Royal purple HPS harm the emissions system in my stock 2012 GT? Why does ford reccomend 5w-20 for most weather conditions when all the enthusiasts on this forum and one's similar to it with any knowledge in oil viscosity advise against it?
:shrug:

CAFE laws, and no other reason. The bean counter want to pay less fines to the federal government.

Royal Purple HPS is a true synthetic base stock which naturally has a lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation/burn off). It evaporates 50% less than Motorcraft 5W-20, so what means having a higher level of ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorous) will not be any more detrimental to your cats than Motorcraft 5W-20 with lower levels of ZDDP.

Phosphorous is poisonous to catalysts.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
CAFE laws, and no other reason. The bean counter want to pay less fines to the federal government.

Royal Purple HPS is a true synthetic base stock which naturally has a lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation/burn off). It evaporates 50% less than Motorcraft 5W-20, so what means having a higher level of ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorous) will not be any more detrimental to your cats than Motorcraft 5W-20 with lower levels of ZDDP.

Phosphorous is poisonous to catalysts.

I have had these questions lurking in my head for years, thanks so much for answering them. What a relief to finally have answers!
:banana:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
There has been a debate with the API (American Petroleum Institute) to take into consideration NOACK Volatility when determining maximum ZDDP ppm in a lubricants formulation. It makes perfect sense, however....since the API is biased on large oil companies using lesser base stocks that have higher NOACK, the argument falls on deaf ears.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There has been a debate with the API (American Petroleum Institute) to take into consideration NOACK Volatility when determining maximum ZDDP ppm in a lubricants formulation. It makes perfect sense, however....since the API is biased on large oil companies using lesser base stocks that have higher NOACK, the argument falls on deaf ears.

aka politics

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I thought the inclusion of those 2 elements was more important during the new engine break in period? Benefits?

During break in, I believe most experts would agree with you. After break in, it's still a debate. I'm testing/studying this currently.

Results to come in the next few months.

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
A 10w-30 tends to stay in grade longer than a 5w-30 due to less viscosity improvers added to lessen oil thinning.
If you have an unlimited supply I would say go for it. Beast has already filled you in on the politics involved.
If it's the hps stuff or contains "synerlac" then you have really scored.

Users who are viewing this thread