Oil in coolant??

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Anybody know what this could be? I am learning as I go and have not seen anything like this before. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Joe

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
could very well be a cracked oil cooler

We've seen this quite a few times over the years...

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
could very well be a cracked oil cooler

We've seen this quite a few times over the years...

Good point JB. That's something else to look at.

joseph.devenney,

What modifications are done to the car? How much boost? Aggressive tune?
It's not that common to see a blown head gasket on a mildly modified Cobra...
and quite frankly you don't see that all that often with twin screw cars either.

KILRSVT

Established Member
+1 with ^^^ if it doesnt idle rough its most likely this...if not due a compression test..followed by a leak down test to see what cylinder is leaking

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Car has a stg 3 port, 2.8 upper, K&N filter and Slp catback. Dyno tuned in S.Antonio at lethal performance, fairly mild tune. The car doesn't run any different. Temp is good and idle is good.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
My coolant resevoir looks terrible, kinda like a nasty milkshake or something. Dipstick has nothing but oil on it. Does this mean my head gasket is ok? How should I go about troubleshooting this? Want to try and fix this without going to the dealership!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Good point JB. That's something else to look at.

joseph.devenney,

What modifications are done to the car? How much boost? Aggressive tune?
It's not that common to see a blown head gasket on a mildly modified Cobra...
and quite frankly you don't see that all that often with twin screw cars either.
I agree you don't hear about guys blowing head gaskets on these cars that often, it seems to be a much more common problem on the 302 5.0L motors
(I blew 2 sets in the past in my 89). Yeah check the oil cooler!

Hopefully its just the stop leak crap they put in from the factory. I had that rear its ugly head at about 30k and had me concerned iy was a hg or oil cooler issue. Iy made a milk shake-like mess in the stock tank.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Hopefully its just the stop leak crap they put in from the factory. I had that rear its ugly head at about 30k and had me concerned iy was a hg or oil cooler issue. Iy made a milk shake-like mess in the stock tank.

What did you do, just flush the system? And where is the oil cooler:shrug:

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
So i called a reputable mechanic today about getting a compression test. Told him the symptoms and he said not to do a test because he was sure its not the head gasket. He said its the oil cooler gasket. Any thoughts??? Im gonna start tearing into it.

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
Mine had the chocolate milk look in my resevoir tank going to....turned out to be a warped head from the previous owner. Car ran fine for about 2 months with no overheating or other issues other than the occasional slight leakage from the resevoir cap then one day it overheated and I was out of my car for 6 months....I'm not complaining now though....I got the mods listed in my sig......

Last edited:

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
oil in coolant thats bout the only thing it could be is a oil cooler now coolant in the oil is a whole diff ballgame.. There are a few things that could let oil get in coolant but the coolant would end up going in the oil before that would happen cause its alot thinners so you can scratch most of that. If the oil cooler gasket is leaking or the housing is cracked oil would get in the coolant cause coolant runs through the housing to cool the oil..

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
oil in coolant thats bout the only thing it could be is a oil cooler now coolant in the oil is a whole diff ballgame.. There are a few things that could let oil get in coolant but the coolant would end up going in the oil before that would happen cause its alot thinners so you can scratch most of that. If the oil cooler gasket is leaking or the housing is cracked oil would get in the coolant cause coolant runs through the housing to cool the oil..

I disagree. I had oil in my coolant but no coolant in my oil.

Users who are viewing this thread