Oil compatible with E85 & good for FI

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm planning on doing my first oil change next week on the '12 gt, and looking for a good oil that will be able to handle E85 with forced induction. I remember reading a thread about people with E85 and the oil they were using with lab results, but have no idea where it is anymore. The car gets driven on a regular basis if the weather is nice, but will not be driven in the winter months. I'm basically in Chicago, just a suburb 20 north. we do get 100+ weather in summer fairly often.

I was planning on using the Amsoil 5w30 Synthetic oil, thanks for any input. :beer:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
I made that thread you talking about lol ... Most of the guys like rotella for e85 since it has acid neutralizers and also what I've been using since got my motor rebuild . If you're using E85 daily make sure you change your oil more often instead of 3,000miles I will do 2,000 miles at most . E85 is harsh on the oil . Good luck man :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I made that thread you talking about lol ... Most of the guys like rotella for e85 since it has acid neutralizers and also what I've been using since got my motor rebuild . If you're using E85 daily make sure you change your oil more often instead of 3,000miles I will do 2,000 miles at most . E85 is harsh on the oil . Good luck man :beer:

I have to respectfully disagree with a few things.

Rotella isn't a great choice in a gasoline engine. Like most off the shelf diesel lubricants, this formulation uses Magnesium in the additive package, unlike passenger car engine lubricants that use only calcium. Magnesium is known to leave engine deposits.

Also, E85 being hard on an engines lubricant depends on many other factors that are not likely to exist in a modern engine found in the GT or GT500. Proper tuning and engine design will almost eliminate all fuel dilution issues. If the fuel never makes it into the lubricant, there is no contamination to shorten the lubricants life. I've never seen a UOA from a Coyote or GT500 engine using E85 that had serious lubricant issues due to fuel dilution. This is a wide spread myth that has been created in car forums due to engines that were either assembled incorrectly or had serious poor tuning issues.

OP, I'm a very strong advocate for robust 10W-30 true synthetic lubricants in your engine. There are two options that will suit your needs perfectly.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 : use for 10,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first. *I shorten the interval when E85 is used for additional safety until a UOA confirms 15,000 miles or one year using E85 - back to the possible engine/tuning issues*

or

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 : Dominator Racing oil, use for 6 months or 5,000 miles.....whichever occur first. This compromise could be considered due to the additive package being the most anti-wear protection Amsoil offers.

Amsoil EaO17 - oil filter for your car

and don't pay retail for it. Get it all at dealer/wholesale cost (25% discount)

Preferred Customer

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
Unleashed,
Is it ok to use Dominator oil in daily driver ?
Is there ANY negative sides of racing oil? Why some racing oils say "racing only", is it because they brake down fast?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Royal Purple HPS 10W-30 (part #31130, quart bottle).

Instead of 12 months or 12,000 miles cut that in half with a high powered forced induction E85 engine.
Unless of course all of those miles are at a race track, then you will want to keep an eye on your fuel dilution manually and expect that it will need to be changed a bit more often.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed,
Is it ok to use Dominator oil in daily driver ?
Is there ANY negative sides of racing oil? Why some racing oils say "racing only", is it because they brake down fast?

Most racing oils have lower TBN (detergent/dispersant) additives in the additive pack. Dominator falls under this shortage. This isn't saying it's a huge problem. Top tier racing lubricants like Dominator still has similar TBN levels as much cheaper passenger car lubricants.

Use it daily, just don't exceed 5,000 miles. I tested RD30 in my GT500 for 1,500 miles, it still had more than 5 TBN level. That's good for a racing lubricant.

Royal Purple XPR does not conform to this rule, it has high TBN like HPS.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Most racing oils have lower TBN (detergent/dispersant) additives in the additive pack. Dominator falls under this shortage. This isn't saying it's a huge problem. Top tier racing lubricants like Dominator still has similar TBN levels as much cheaper passenger car lubricants.

Use it daily, just don't exceed 5,000 miles. I tested RD30 in my GT500 for 1,500 miles, it still had more than 5 TBN level. That's good for a racing lubricant.

:thumbsup::beer::rockon:

Royal Purple XPR series oils though quite expensive, can be used for every day street usage. This includes safe usage with catalytic converters in normal regular "grocery getters" for literally decades, due to the extremely high retention of the additive packages and their very low volatility.

There were no short cuts taken on the XPR series, though we are referring to the 5W-20 through 20W-50 viscosities.
The XPR 0W-10 and the XPR 3.1 0W-5 ultra light weights are not designed for or recommended for street use.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Rotella makes gasoline oil too not just diesel. It's for sure the oil of choice in my neck of the woods for Turbo Honda's,Supra's and WRX's, all those guys use it. It's actually the only oil I've seen add RWHP on the dyno. Civic single Garret gained 6 on same day test.
I personally don't use it..

RusWolf

Established Member

Thank you.

:thumbsup::beer::rockon:

Royal Purple XPR series oils though quite expensive, can be used for every day street usage. This includes safe usage with catalytic converters in normal regular "grocery getters" for literally decades, due to the extremely high retention of the additive packages and their very low volatility.

There were no short cuts taken on the XPR series, though we are referring to the 5W-20 through 20W-50 viscosities.
The XPR 0W-10 and the XPR 3.1 0W-5 ultra light weights are not designed for or recommended for street use.

Thanks.

This oil change instead of doing Mobil 1 i did Penzoil Platinum 10W-30. I'm going to do UOA on it after around 5,000 miles.

After i will fill up with AMSoil SS and do 5K miles and do UOA. Next, as per RP request to test their oil last i will fill up with RP HPS and do UOA.
After i get each test done i will post reviews.

I know i can go longer on those oils but i'm boosted and soon to be running E85, therefore would like to not exceed 5K on any oil. Only issue is that it may take me more than a year to do that because i'm back in NYC this September my lovely 5.0 will not be my DD anymore! (thank God!)

P.S. Maybe i should do UOA after 2-3k miles on AMS and RP ?
But i feel like the oil be just like new since both are high quality.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know this thread is old, but the information is helpful and I would like to see what is recommended. I just switched to e85 yesterday full dual pump jpc system. I currently have rp hps 5w-20 in my motor and have for about 1k miles. Ruswolf, the post above mine talked about doing UOA's of 10w-30s and I was wondering what happened with that?

Also when it comes time to change my oil should I make the switch to 10w-30 and if so why? Mods are in my signature, and 5.0 is my dd, no track runs, but I do drive it hard regularly.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Bam, it depends on how you drive your car. Is it stored in the winter, or driven year round in the winter when the weather is tolerating? Do you short trip the car frequently, or take it for longer drives that allows the oil to get up to full temp?

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Bam, it depends on how you drive your car. Is it stored in the winter, or driven year round in the winter when the weather is tolerating? Do you short trip the car frequently, or take it for longer drives that allows the oil to get up to full temp?

DD all year long, one way to work is 8 plus miles. Min. 30 miles a day, never sits for more than 24 hrs. Driven acerage, don't got on it until warmed up. Winters are pretty tame in Va.

toomnymods

Established Member
unleashed.. I have been running the Amsoil Signature series 5w-20 and just yesterday have started running e85.. is this oil safe to use daily? I probably have around 435hp i'd imagine.
I drive it daily and do not take short trips, all of my trips are usually 12-20 miles
I just changed my oil last weekend so the oil in it is barely 200 miles old if that. I still also have another 8 quarts of SS 5w-20 in a box for my next oilchange as well, would it be safe to use that? or should i do a complete drain even with brand new oil and try to get amsoil to switch my oil out for something else?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
unleashed.. I have been running the Amsoil Signature series 5w-20 and just yesterday have started running e85.. is this oil safe to use daily? I probably have around 435hp i'd imagine.
I drive it daily and do not take short trips, all of my trips are usually 12-20 miles
I just changed my oil last weekend so the oil in it is barely 200 miles old if that. I still also have another 8 quarts of SS 5w-20 in a box for my next oilchange as well, would it be safe to use that? or should i do a complete drain even with brand new oil and try to get amsoil to switch my oil out for something else?

No need to waste the oil, run it. Unless you were extended session road course racing, I'd use what you have. Sounds like you have two years worth of oil changes.

How's the weather in Texas this week? We have sleet and snow flurries in Northwest Florida yesterday. Brrrr it's cold for my taste.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
Rotella makes gasoline oil too not just diesel. It's for sure the oil of choice in my neck of the woods for Turbo Honda's,Supra's and WRX's, all those guys use it. It's actually the only oil I've seen add RWHP on the dyno. Civic single Garret gained 6 on same day test.
I personally don't use it..

lol. 6hp.. dynos have some variability. also cool off time etc.. could a been an ambient air temp drop, or if was a fresh engine it broke in just a tiny bit more.

many MANY things can account for 6 HP. not the oil especially rotella.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Also, Rotella is cheap base oil. Even T6 is hydrocracked petroleum. A true gain of HP would be noticed from changing from a cheap base oil to a true synthetic, only. Not from cheap to cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread