Oil Change with MightyVac (Oil extractor)

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience with the MightyVac?
A buddy of mine has one and uses it with no issues on his Benz. I'd like to try it myself as it eliminates having to catch the oil in a bucket, etc and only the filter needs to be removed and changed.

The concern is that he said some cars have some form of baffle down the dipstick that prohibits the hose from getting into the oil pan to suck it dry.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
To me, it only makes sense on a vehicle with a top mounted cartridge style oil filter. If I have to crawl under the car to change the filter I might as well just pop the drain plug out as well.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
To me, it only makes sense on a vehicle with a top mounted cartridge style oil filter. If I have to crawl under the car to change the filter I might as well just pop the drain plug out as well.

Totally understandable but as I said "I'd like to try it myself as it eliminates having to catch the oil in a bucket, etc " If I don't have to pull out the plug and dump it in a bucket then dump the bucket into a container why would I?

So your answer is "I have no experience either and nothing constructive to offer"

Thanks

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Real helpful jackass thanks

Easy Tiger… Pretty sure you're not supposed to call names outside of smack down. :read:

I was simply trying to say that using the mightyvac might be more trouble than it's worth. Like Sid said, I thought those things were more for the high end german cars that don't have drain plugs.

So your answer is "I have no experience either and nothing constructive to offer"

Thanks

Seriously? Hell of a way to talk to the site owner….

Last edited:

cstone94

Established Member
Easy Tiger…

I was simply trying to say that using the mightyvac might be more trouble than it's worth. Like Sid said, I thought those things were more for the high end german cars that don't have drain plugs.

Lol this guy seems like he's having a rough day...

OP, Since you want to be a smart aleck, then for starters its called a "MityVac". I use it mainly for removing coolant from a radiator before changing it or a water pump, because you can pump the coolant back in. I don't think its feasible to do it all the time for an oil change, there's a reason 95% of the world is still using the standard method.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Easy Tiger… Pretty sure you're not supposed to call names outside of smack down. :read:

Seriously? Hell of a way to talk to the site owner….

First off your original reply was about as helpful as answering "I have no experience with this". Useless info. My question was does anyone have experience. I did not expect a wise remark like you gave, hence my sarcastic reply.

As for SID's reply, I generally felt the same way in that he at least offered it would be more useful if the filter was up top. I agreed, but thought my original post (again) was very clear in that I understood fully that getting the filter off from under the car was necessary, however having access to this pump would make the rest of the job easier.

I don't mean to come off like a dick, but sometimes I see many guys reply to things this that are really not helpful. Honestly don't you think I already know that in order to change the oil I have to remove the muffler bearings. JEEZ C'MON!

Oh and if the site owner has issue with what I said I'm he can handle it on his own. Doesn't need you to pull a white knight

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Lol this guy seems like he's having a rough day...

OP, Since you want to be a smart aleck, then for starters its called a "MityVac". I use it mainly for removing coolant from a radiator before changing it or a water pump, because you can pump the coolant back in. I don't think its feasible to do it all the time for an oil change, there's a reason 95% of the world is still using the standard method.

So then your answer is that you haven't used it for oil? I get it! Lift the car up and drain the oil like everyone else, no one uses this for oil. I get it.

cheeser

Established Member
Have not used something like it as it may not remove all of the fluid. I prefer the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve on mine...quick and easy.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Not for an oil change.. I can see using it for the rear end fluid. That way you don't have to drop the cover... but not with the life blood of my car..

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Totally understandable but as I said "I'd like to try it myself as it eliminates having to catch the oil in a bucket, etc " If I don't have to pull out the plug and dump it in a bucket then dump the bucket into a container why would I?

Thanks

I've actually used the vac method many times, on cars that require it. To me it's just adding an necessary step (more labor and cost) to an oil change for a car that does not require it. Not only that, but the Ford dipstick tube is not designed to have the oil extracted out of it like a Mercedes engine.

As for your complaint about catching the used oil in a pan then transferring it to another container, what's the difference between doing that and vac'ing it into a jug and transferring it too a container? Unless you're disposing your oil directly from the vac bottle you're not saving a step there. Even if you do recycle it directly from the vac bottle you can do the same thing from a 13 quart Blitz sealable drain pan. Again, nothing saved there. Especially when you consider that you need a drain pan to catch the oil that drains from the filter housing when changing the filter anyway. So the drain pan argument is entirely moot.

Also, are you just going to leave the pump an oily mess after you finish? It takes one paper towel and about 23 seconds to wipe up a drain pan. The same can't be said for the hoses on the vac system. Not to mention the added initial investment for the pump system.

So lets run this down, you want to use a vaccum system:

• for a car that was never designed for it,
  • that saves no time,
  • that saves no labor,
  • that is more expensive,
  • that potentially has more clean up,
  • that still requires the use of a drain pan,
  • that runs the risk of damaging the car (ever broken a dipstick tube?),
  • and that has a greater potential for leaving dirty oil in the engine?

Is that correct? If so, please explain what advantages you see in you proposed oil change method.

Also, we expect members to treat each other with respect in the tech forums. If you want to hurl childish insults, make your way over to SD.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I've actually used the vac method many times, on cars that require it. To me it's just adding an necessary step (more labor and cost) to an oil change for a car that does not require it. Not only that, but the Ford dipstick tube is not designed to have the oil extracted out of it like a Mercedes engine.

As for your complaint about catching the used oil in a pan then transferring it to another container, what's the difference between doing that and vac'ing it into a jug and transferring it too a container? Unless you're disposing your oil directly from the vac bottle you're not saving a step there. Even if you do recycle it directly from the vac bottle you can do the same thing from a 13 quart Blitz sealable drain pan. Again, nothing saved there. Especially when you consider that you need a drain pan to catch the oil that drains from the filter housing when changing the filter anyway. So the drain pan argument is entirely moot.

Also, are you just going to leave the pump an oily mess after you finish? It takes one paper towel and about 23 seconds to wipe up a drain pan. The same can't be said for the hoses on the vac system. Not to mention the added initial investment for the pump system.

• that saves no time,
  • that saves no labor,

Is that correct? If so, please explain what advantages you see in you proposed oil change method.

Also, we expect members to treat each other with respect in the tech forums. If you want to hurl childish insults, make your way over to SD.

This response contained the PERFECT amount of : 1. useful info 2. explanation of reasoning and ended with some 3. Shut yo mouf

'14 Shelby

Established Member

• that saves no time,
  • that saves no labor,

Thank you for the response to the question. As posted in my original note "a buddy of mine has one". It was quite simple in that all i asked was is it really feasible on these cars. Youve finally given me some info that i can now say " this isnt a good idea" and given me a few reasons why.
This forum is great and quite often filled with useful responses. Hence why i posed the original question. Answers like "gravity works better" are completely useless when someone is asking a legit question.
The only reason i was considering this method was i thought it may save me a step. I normally dont change my own oil. So for me to do it myself, i have to purchase a drain pan. Yes the tad in the filter would require something to catch it but not necessarily a pan. The oil in the vacuum could be put into the 'gallon' jugs and disposed of quite easily.
My apologies for "hurling a childish insult" i didnt intend to ruffle any panties.

Users who are viewing this thread