Official: Police dog in Georgia found dead of heat stroke in patrol car

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Official: Police dog found dead inside patrol car in Georgia - CNN.com

Atlanta (CNN) -- A police dog died of heat stroke after being left in a patrol car in Woodstock, Georgia, authorities said Tuesday.

The 3-year-old dog, a Belgian Malinois named Spartacus, was found dead Monday night inside the K-9 handler's car, which was parked outside his home, Brittany Duncan, a Woodstock Police Department spokeswoman, said in a written statement.

A necropsy requested by the police department determined the cause of death was heat stroke, the statement said.

The statement did not detail why the car was parked at the handler's house nor did it say how long it had been parked there.

"The K9 handler is currently on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of an internal investigation," Duncan said.

The police department did not publicly identify Spartacus' handler, describing him only as a 9-year police veteran who has worked as a K-9 handler for seven of those years.

"After the retirement of his first police K-9, who is now a family pet living with the K-9 handler, the handler is devastated by the loss of his second police K-9," Duncan said.

Spartacus was cross-trained in drug detection, tracking and apprehension, according to the department.

A memorial service for Spartacus will be announced at a later date, Duncan said.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The handler should be charged with manslaughter or in this case dogslaughter.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
just a lapse in judgement that ended up costing a service dog its life. is the handler at fault? yes. you don't leave pets, children, or the elderly in a vehicle - unattended - in the summer heat.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I say charge him with murder. He killed a cop. 2 legs or 4 legs, K9s are considered Police Officers. So give him the maximum sentence. Just saying. There's no excuse for his actions. It's hot down here!

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I say charge him with murder. He killed a cop. 2 legs or 4 legs, K9s are considered Police Officers. So give him the maximum sentence. Just saying. There's no excuse for his actions. It's hot down here!

Bingo. If a perp kills a K-9 officer, it is homicide. This should be considered negligent homicide...

oldmodman

Established Member
Several times a year there is local news report about someone finding a dog in a locked car in the summer and breaking a window to get the dog out. or if the police are called they will break the window and if found, cite the owner.

I wonder how much trouble you would get into if you broke the window in a police car to save the police dog?

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Several times a year there is local news report about someone finding a dog in a locked car in the summer and breaking a window to get the dog out. or if the police are called they will break the window and if found, cite the owner.

I wonder how much trouble you would get into if you broke the window in a police car to save the police dog?

Youll probably get shot by te cop who left the dog inside the car.

Tiko433

Established Member
Wow Guys , With out knowing all the details, we should give this guy a little break. As a 8 year canine handler myself, I hope he had the proper equipment for his patrol car. It's the Department's canine. The Department should provide the proper training and equipment to care for the canine. His patrol car should have been equipped with a Heat alarm. This is a unit that monitors temperature in the car all the time. When the temperature rises to unsafe conditions, the windows drop and the lights and sierns turn on. The canine handler should always be close to the car. If he did not have this system, a seasoned handler should have insisted the Department provide one. It would be like the Department putting him in a unsafe car and excpect him to go on patrol with a POS. Even with a Heat alarm he should check on the canine frequently. Most of the Heat alarms have a pager that goes off when the temperature is unsafe. I have a pager that shows two zones of temperatures.
He should have checked on his partner frequently, we all know equipment can fail.
If he did have a heat alarm and neglected to turn it on or make sure it was functioning properly then I will be the first one the charge him with Felony Animal cruelty.
If the Department didnt provide him proper training and equipment, they should be held lieale.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I am sure the Officer will use the Judge Dredd plea; "I am the law!"
Judge Dredd: It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

Judge Dredd: The law doesn't... make mistakes.

Fergee: Really? Then how do you explain what happened to you? You can't, can you? Great. Mr. "I am the law" can't. So maybe this is some kind of typo. Maybe it's a glitch. Or maybe it's poetic justice.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Wow Guys , With out knowing all the details, we should give this guy a little break. As a 8 year canine handler myself, I hope he had the proper equipment for his patrol car. It's the Department's canine. The Department should provide the proper training and equipment to care for the canine. His patrol car should have been equipped with a Heat alarm. This is a unit that monitors temperature in the car all the time. When the temperature rises to unsafe conditions, the windows drop and the lights and sierns turn on. The canine handler should always be close to the car. If he did not have this system, a seasoned handler should have insisted the Department provide one. It would be like the Department putting him in a unsafe car and excpect him to go on patrol with a POS. Even with a Heat alarm he should check on the canine frequently. Most of the Heat alarms have a pager that goes off when the temperature is unsafe. I have a pager that shows two zones of temperatures.
He should have checked on his partner frequently, we all know equipment can fail.
If he did have a heat alarm and neglected to turn it on or make sure it was functioning properly then I will be the first one the charge him with Felony Animal cruelty.
If the Department didnt provide him proper training and equipment, they should be held lieale.

Sounds to me like he left the dog inside the car in his driveway and Spartacus was found dead during nighttime hours. You think that is a Good handler?
:nonono:

Attaus

Established Member

Understandable, and I'm sure the guy feels terrible.. but,

CNN said:
The 3-year-old dog, a Belgian Malinois named Spartacus, was found dead Monday night inside the K-9 handler's car, which was parked outside his home, Brittany Duncan, a Woodstock Police Department spokeswoman, said in a written statement.

Found at night outside his house..

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

There's always one in every thread that has to make an excuse for a bad cop.... Guess that's you in this thread huh?:nonono:

Police officers in general and handlers in particular are trained on animals in cars during summer heat. Sorry to burst your bubble here but the officer screwed up bad and should be held responsible within the law for what he did- or in this case failed to do. Just like we would be held accountable if we did what this incredibly stupid officer did...... Btw- you may want to get that excusitis looked at- I hear its a bitch to cure:lol:

Tiko433

Established Member
"One in every thread" Im sure Im the only ONE in this thread who's is a canine handler. I don't have a bubble that needed bursting either.
I'm not saying if he is a good handler or not. The report don't mention any thing about how long the canine was left in the car. As I stated with proper training and equipment a handler would not leave his canine unattended in a vehicle.
There is no reason this should happen other then negligence.
The question is who's at fault? The hander, the department's or both.
We are quick to take a news story on face value. I try to read between the lines. Remember what the news reported about the Benghasi attack the day after it happened ?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
"One in every thread" Im sure Im the only ONE in this thread who's is a canine handler. I don't have a bubble that needed bursting either.
I'm not saying if he is a good handler or not. The report don't mention any thing about how long the canine was left in the car. As I stated with proper training and equipment a handler would not leave his canine unattended in a vehicle.
There is no reason this should happen other then negligence.
The question is who's at fault? The hander, the department's or both.
We are quick to take a news story on face value. I try to read between the lines. Remember what the news reported about the Benghasi attack the day after it happened ?

You must not be very bright. It is despicable how someone in your position could even begin to justify the actions of that particular dogslaughtering pig. That pig killed the dog. It wasnt his department's fault. It wasnt his neighbors fault. It wasnt the equipment's fault or lack of thereof. It wasnt Obamas fault. It was the handler's fault. Any human being with an IQ bigger than a sack of marbles knows not to leave a living being locked up in a car during the summer. Its ****ing common sense.

Guy should be tried for manslaughter plain and simple....

"Charge him with felony animal cruelty..." <~~~ give me a break, GTFO...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread