Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
LS Boss,

Let's talk about Motorcraft 5W-50.

Ford states MC5W-50 is recommended in the Track Pack GT, 302 Boss, and GT500 up to 7,500-10,000 miles (depending on model). However, this lubricant shears to a light 40 grade in 1,500 miles. Assuming Ford engineers are as smart as you say they are, one could safely assume that using a 40 grade lubricant that does not shear in this engine will be perfectly acceptable for the entire OCI.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

I'd also like to bring up that your beloved PhD's don't always get to call the shots on what product is actually chosen for final production. Nope, the bean counters do that. Know how I know? A former engine durability engineer for the 4.6L 3V engine in the 2005-2010 Mustang recommended that Ford stick with the 5W-30 specification for this engine. After more than 100 tear downs testing both grades, a significant decrease in wear was witnessed using 5W-30. Do you think the bean counters listened? Heck no! They knew the engine would still make it far outside the normal warranty period and would never be an expense to Ford. The bean counters also knew they would pay more fines due to CAFE laws in the good ol' USA using the more viscous lubricant. The engine getting .5 mpg less would cost them millions in fines to the federal government.

What's really sad is.....

Comparing Motorcraft 5W-20 to Amsoil AZO 0W-30 in a 2008 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V showed a 1 mpg efficiency improvement from Amsoil. The base stock and additives play a vital role, not simply viscosity.

Seriously, I respect your credentials and knowledge in your field, but in all honesty.....you really haven't a clue about this topic.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I seem to have missed post #51. Yet another newcomer to SVT Performance that hasn't seen my past 6,000+ posts where myself and others have beat the dead horse on every topic you tried to "out class" me on. Do yourself a favor, don't judge me until you play topic catch up. You assume you are superior to me, don't. Never underestimate people.

I/we at SVT Performance were discussing in factual detail every topic you mentioned long before your arrival.

Last edited:

Beernuts

Established Member
Your premiss is flawed. Let me aak you. - Do you believe that the lubrication professionals at Ford who make highly technical, educated decisions regarding lubrications recommendations for their vehicles are more or less qualified than the recommendations you receive from these OA recommendations offered here? Keep in mind that any mistakes in their recommendations could potentially cost their company millions of dollars in warranty claims? These people are highly educated (PhDs) and have all the qualifications any chemist or tribiologist has at Amsoil. They actually know more about the demands placed on oils in their vehicles than Amsoil does. When Ford recommends you change your oil at XXXX miles, then this is all you need to be concerned with. You can rest assured knowing that this recommendation will fulfill requirements Ford deems as necessary to meet the demands of the engine. All tech specs including kinematic viscosity, service life, bearing wear, heat dissipation, oxidation, operating temperature, etc. have all been factored in determining their recommendations. Isn't that nice? ... and they don't even charge for this advice.

If you feel you need the added peace of mind it gives you in engaging this service then go for it. However, I am saying they are not necessary and you can still get 300,000 miles on your engine by just following Ford's service recommendations. These were carefully thought out and proven through extensive testing.

This is all I have to say on this topic.

Best Wishes,

LS Boss
:coolman:

And I say your premise that "Ford knows best" for every possible scenario is flawed. Do you really think no one has ever spun a bearing in a Ford vehicle after the warranty has expired? Do you really think its "best" to use the same oil in Northern Minnesota as Southern Texas? Do you really think a grocery getter should use the same oil as a tracked vehicle?

Have you ever pulled apart a sludged up engine? Are you aware that in 2007 Toyota settled a class action lawsuit involving engine sludge? The settlement covered 3.5 million vehicles...

Toyota agrees to settle U.S. oil sludge claims | Reuters

Most of the folks on this forum are enthusiasts and prefer to go the extra mile to protect their vehicles. For those who don't fall into that category, the owners manual will suit them just fine.

mtrsprt

Established Member
What are your thoughts on Amsoil Signature series 0W-30? I ran this on all my previous engines, and it seems to work fantastic (Great power output,MPG, and engine noise). I read you can never have too thin of an oil at start-up, and this is where the 0W-30 blend is king, while still allowing a 30W viscosity at normal engine operating temps/loads.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What are your thoughts on Amsoil Signature series 0W-30? I ran this on all my previous engines, and it seems to work fantastic (Great power output,MPG, and engine noise). I read you can never have too thin of an oil at start-up, and this is where the 0W-30 blend is king, while still allowing a 30W viscosity at normal engine operating temps/loads.

It's an outstanding lubricant and an option I chose for people when they are using there cars in cold climates. Using AMO 0W-30 in a 2008 GT yielded excellence results with a quieter engine and better efficiency.

The formulation didn't shear in a 550hp Terminator, even though you would have expected it to.

mtrsprt

Established Member
It's an outstanding lubricant and an option I chose for people when they are using there cars in cold climates. Using AMO 0W-30 in a 2008 GT yielded excellence results with a quieter engine and better efficiency.

The formulation didn't shear in a 550hp Terminator, even though you would have expected it to.
In the Boss with over 700hp, think maybe the 10-40 would be a better choice? Car see about 3000 miles/year. No road racing. Car doesn't see temps below 30*F, and is stored winters.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In the Boss with over 700hp, think maybe the 10-40 would be a better choice? Car see about 3000 miles/year. No road racing. Car doesn't see temps below 30*F, and is stored winters.

You could use a true synthetic 10W-40, but since you do not road race, I feel that oil pressure would be higher than required.

Since my GT500 had the 170* thermostat and oil temps were cooler, I was using 10W-30 with good results.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Updated the UOA chart in post #1.

I'm watching Pennzoil Ultra close. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the results of their API SN reformulation. The new Gas To Liquid base stock is returning stellar results.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is the UOA submitted from a member in Canada. I appreciate this one, as Pennzoil Ultra API SN is really showing excellent results.

2011GTMultipleSamples_zpsddc5c041.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UnleashedBest:

What do you think of using the Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 in a Boss 302? Better than Mobil 1 5W50?

Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic Motor Oil - Pennzoil

Occasional track days in South Texas.

I'm extremely impressed with Pennzoil's API SN Ultra formulation. Nothing I've ever seen come off the shelf was close.

I'd say yes....yes...and yes, and please....a UOA from your fill would be an asset to the community.

KatyBoss302

Thanks. I will try some and post a UOA. I have never done one before -- assume I should do the analysis after I have run the oil for about 5k miles?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks. I will try some and post a UOA. I have never done one before -- assume I should do the analysis after I have run the oil for about 5k miles?

Why only 5,000 miles? With an 8.5 quart sump, it's capable of more. I'd test it through the dipstick tube with a sample pump at 5,000 miles....but don't change it. When the results come back, let me see the report. Then I will tell you how much longer before you sample again.

Many people are wasting oil because of the old school 3,000 mile OCI rule. We need to forget we ever were told that. It's so wrong.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I'm due for a change...I will use 0w-40 if you think it suits my car:
'13 GT roush tvs (600whp)
Light track duty, driven hard occasionally on street
South Carolina climate. Hot summers, rarely below 30.

Never mind, ordered 10w-30 amsoil. Will send data when time comes. Thanks.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I'd like to see RP HPS lubricants & Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40. Who wants to contribute to the community?

I have the 'regular' RP 10-40 in my Boss as the 35$ off coupon that Pep Boys offered last year was too good to pass up. OA should be coming towards the end of June.

Thought this was interesting in the write up on the royal purple product info;

Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturers first scheduled oil change in new gasoline engines before upgrading to Royal Purple.

I let my factory fill go to 6273 miles, and the OLM reading was about 35% IIRC. Will pull the RP sample at the same interval. I expect I will have to reset the OLM to disable the warning indicator that I'm due for a change. Since I garage my Boss over the winter, I hope to be able to do change interval once a year (no track events yet, someday when the budget allows), just before storing it in Dec.

I am on of the lucky ones whose Boss doesn't seem to burn a drop of oil, it barely moved down the hash marks on the stick since new ( maybe 3mm over 6273m ). Was considering a catch can, but without hardcore track events in my near future, I just don't deem it necessary.

Royal Purple 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil(QT) | Product Details | Pep Boys

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
You must get too many emails/pms.... Already told you I ordered 2 kits when I sent you that Motorcrap 6273m sample result that you added to the SS. ;-)

I will send the results when I get them. My OLM reads 47% at 10,834m.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread