Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

cbj5259

Established Member
I have a somewhat related question...has anyone run the 10w-40 in their Boss with Trackey? If so...do they still get the "lopey" idle? One of the requirements for the "trackey" idle was that 5w-50 was being used. Just curious.

Sent from my sharona

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have a somewhat related question...has anyone run the 10w-40 in their Boss with Trackey? If so...do they still get the "lopey" idle? One of the requirements for the "trackey" idle was that 5w-50 was being used. Just curious.

Sent from my sharona

The requirement is because Ford is equating the use of Trackey with long session road racing events. They want a heavy lubricant in the engine to protect it during WOT.

We have already proven Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is superior for this. Yes, your engine will still lope. That's in the tune. The devices that degree the cams will work the same.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member

Sent from my sharona

Yes mine still does. Also, if you look at the data, MC breaks down fairly quickly. So if that is one of the requirements for the lopey idle, then Ford's own oil would only provide you with the idle for 2k miles. After which it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Gotcha...thanks for the info. I have my first oil change coming up soon and will probably go with the Amsoil.

Sent from my sharona

fiddlefadel

1970 Boss 302 oil

A little off the topic but what do you think about Amsoils Z rod for my vintage 1970 Boss 302 with stock engine. I need higher levels of zinc for the solid lifets. Do you know what the zinc content is and what do you sell the oil for? Also filter.
regards
Dave

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
A little off the topic but what do you think about Amsoils Z rod for my vintage 1970 Boss 302 with stock engine. I need higher levels of zinc for the solid lifets. Do you know what the zinc content is and what do you sell the oil for? Also filter.
regards
Dave

Zinc content is very high for the same reason you outlined and is perfect for any classic car that is not driven often. You can use it between 3,000 to 5,000 miles a year, maximum interval. It was designed for solid roller iron block engines in classic cars that are stored for long periods.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
More Boss results on the way

Just ordered my OAI kits, so I should have my results back for my OEM fill of Motorcrap 5w-50 @ 6273 miles. Later this summer I will get a sample of my RP 10w40 on or about the exact same mileage for a direct comparison.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just ordered my OAI kits, so I should have my results back for my OEM fill of Motorcrap 5w-50 @ 6273 miles. Later this summer I will get a sample of my RP 10w40 on or about the exact same mileage for a direct comparison.

The samples of MC 5W-50 at that mileage intervals will not look great.

RP HPS or normal?

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I don't have access to amsoil...
I live in SC and daily drive my car. Recently added a Pd blower to the car...what do you recommend?
Currently I'm running mobile 1 5w-30, but due for a change soon. Thanks.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I don't have access to amsoil...
I live in SC and daily drive my car. Recently added a Pd blower to the car...what do you recommend?
Currently I'm running mobile 1 5w-30, but due for a change soon. Thanks.

Amsoil will deliver directly to your door. Order it online with your debit or credit card.

This is a newly revised application list I have created. Some hardcore Boss 302 road course competition guys were concerned about using 10W-40 on the course, that it was insufficient. Therefore, I modified my original list to address their concerns. It also reflects me official abandoning Amsoil AMO 10W-40, as the formulation has aged, and XLO's additive package outperforms.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. *RD30 & RD50 must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles*

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this. *Mustang GT only*

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, street/drag raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your street car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, turbo or Supercharged, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil XLO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course run your car for the experience (learning - short heats)....use this.

Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. This lubricant is best suited when pushing your car to the edge of cooling limits from sustained high rpm operation. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting street duties*

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market. Royal Purple uses the same filter.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing poor shifting.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).
Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
The samples of MC 5W-50 at that mileage intervals will not look great.

RP HPS or normal?

"Normal"

I expect the numbers for Motorcrap to suck. Just wanted to have some factual data for all if you follow Ford's recommendation to use their oil and only change it when the OLM tells you too.

I didn't make it to the PO on Saturday, it will be going out Monday. What is the typical turn around time to receive the results by mail?

SirJAG

Established Member
unleashed, did you get a chance to review my UOA yet? should i post it in this thread?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
unleashed, did you get a chance to review my UOA yet? should i post it in this thread?

Yes I did, and sorry for the delay. My company has me out of town for an extended period. Using this small 13" laptop makes it harder to do a lot of things I normally do with UOAs and other oil stuff.

Your UOA looked high on Aluminum and Iron, but then I see you used it for 10,000 miles. What I am not happy with, your engine consumes a LOT of oil. So much oil, it's almost not worth the expensive of Amsoil. I can say some good things about Amsoil 10W-30 in your car, it only sheared 2% in 10,000 miles.

I'd suggest giving Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 a shot, and for good reason. The new formulation has GTL (gas to liquid) base stock with a good additive package. It's advertised as having the best cleaning ability in the industry. Not that I think your 16,000 mile Coyote has internal dirty ring problems....I just know Pennzoil will save you money buying it at WalMart in 5 quart containers.

I'm still boggled how Ford thinks consuming 6.5 quarts of oil in 10,000 miles is acceptable. That should NOT be tolerated on a new technology engine. My guess is, the piston rings were improperly installed.

Soon as I have the chance, I am adding your UOA and updating the chart with a few different submissions.

Last edited:

SirJAG

Established Member
would you be willing to go a little into more detail about my spicific results? my TBN was low was it now? also, could you explain the shear rating you mentioned as well?

Users who are viewing this thread