Official 2018 College football thread SEC sucks!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
CFB needs to start deciding their champ on the field, not in a boardroom. Best thing about all other sports is that if you have success you get a chance to compete. You’ve got an undefeated team 2 years in a row and a P5 one loss champ who are not getting a shot plus a really good Georgia team.

Plus ND sits at home because they refuse to join a conference and one conference (SEC) who only plays 8 conference games and an FCS team each year. Goal posts move from year to year. Dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
TEXAS!! FIGHT!!!

my blood pressure is thru the roof..... LOL

edit: Good game, but i called it. Orlando has no answer and refuses to change to the situation.... and once again, it just looked like Texas refuses to play all 4....
I kept saying during the game that you can't just sit back and not pressure Murray. I understand they wanted to contain him but just keep outside contain and put pressure on him. Sitting back and hoping he makes a mistake is not a feasible defensive strategy.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
CFB needs to start deciding their champ on the field, not in a boardroom. Best thing about all other sports is that if you have success you get a chance to compete. You’ve got an undefeated team 2 years in a row and a P5 one loss champ who are not getting a shot plus a really good Georgia team.

Plus ND sits at home because they refuse to join a conference and one conference (SEC) who only plays 8 conference games and an FCS team each year. Goal posts move from year to year. Dumb.

This. It needs to be 8 teams.

I’m not nearly as confident without Milton but I hope UCF keeps up their streak of killing tigers to push the issue that much farther

tt54l32v

Established Member

Don't lose in horrible fashion to a 6 and 6 Purdue.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Don't lose in horrible fashion to a 6 and 6 Purdue.

This isn't about sour grapes. Each year you can tag at least 4 teams who succeed and EARN a chance to compete, but they don't get the opportunity to do so. It is mind-boggling. You have about 130 teams and a committee of 13 people decide who the best 4 are? LOL. There have now been 20 playoff spots over 5 years, and FOUR TEAMS (OSU, Bama, Clemson, OU) combine to account for 14 (70%) of the spots. Tell me again how things are equitable? Not only that, but...

2014: OSU gets in over TCU & Baylor (conference title game matters!)
2015: MSU gets in over OSU (conference title game and head-to-head matter!)
2016: OSU gets in over PSU (wait...conference title game and head-to-head don't matter?)
2017: Bama is in without division or conference title (confused)
2018: ND doesn't play in conference, plays no conference title game, gets in (super confused)

The championship game is played on the field, but who gets to compete for the opportunity to play in the game is decided in a warped way. Tell me again how this is different than the poll era or BCS era? Its not.

I'll gladly take the Rose Bowl for OSU. I have never been there to see them play and it is a bucket list item. Now that I live close, I won't have airfare and hotel X4 people, so the cost will be low. It will be great and I'm excited about it!

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I don’t think having kids play an extra game (by bringing more teams into the playoff) is a good idea...unless you shorten the season by a game by ditching the creampuff opponents. But then that limits the creampuff teams’ chances of pulling off a big upset.

Tough choice. But the way I see it, these kids are playing for free, and hoping for a shot at the NFL, so don’t make them play more games and risk injury.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
This isn't about sour grapes. Each year you can tag at least 4 teams who succeed and EARN a chance to compete, but they don't get the opportunity to do so. It is mind-boggling. You have about 130 teams and a committee of 13 people decide who the best 4 are? LOL. There have now been 20 playoff spots over 5 years, and FOUR TEAMS (OSU, Bama, Clemson, OU) combine to account for 14 (70%) of the spots. Tell me again how things are equitable? Not only that, but...

2014: OSU gets in over TCU & Baylor (conference title game matters!)
2015: MSU gets in over OSU (conference title game and head-to-head matter!)
2016: OSU gets in over PSU (wait...conference title game and head-to-head don't matter?)
2017: Bama is in without division or conference title (confused)
2018: ND doesn't play in conference, plays no conference title game, gets in (super confused)

The championship game is played on the field, but who gets to compete for the opportunity to play in the game is decided in a warped way. Tell me again how this is different than the poll era or BCS era? Its not.

I'll gladly take the Rose Bowl for OSU. I have never been there to see them play and it is a bucket list item. Now that I live close, I won't have airfare and hotel X4 people, so the cost will be low. It will be great and I'm excited about it!

It is flawed, but it's better than what we had. In the poll era the top teams often wouldn't even play each other due to conference tie-ins with the bowls ('97 for example). It should definitely expand to 8, but it is better than before.

Going to the Rose would be fun. I'm beyond bored with the UM bowl game. Yeah it's a NY6 game but UF again? That's 3 years in a row we're playing them now. A UCF/UF and UM/LSU matchup would've been a lot better IMO.

I don’t think having kids play an extra game (by bringing more teams into the playoff) is a good idea...unless you shorten the season by a game by ditching the creampuff opponents. But then that limits the creampuff teams’ chances of pulling off a big upset.

Tough choice. But the way I see it, these kids are playing for free, and hoping for a shot at the NFL, so don’t make them play more games and risk injury.

Every team should ditch a regular season game just because of an extra game for a couple of teams at the end? Nah. They're not playing for free. Room, board, tuition, and all the perks the athletes get at these schools aren't peanuts. The truly talented NFL caliber players are getting it on the side as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont care who you root for, or against. If you can realize that 4 teams only is ****ing stupid, then you are beyond naive.

This. It was a step in the right direction but still leaves a lot to be desired. The teams that could have/should have made an 8 team playoff all need to win and drive the point home.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
In the poll era the top teams often wouldn't even play each other due to conference tie-ins with the bowls ('97 for example). It should definitely expand to 8, but it is better than before.

Going to the Rose would be fun. I'm beyond bored with the UM bowl game. Yeah it's a NY6 game but UF again? That's 3 years in a row we're playing them now. A UCF/UF and UM/LSU matchup would've been a lot better IMO.

Every team should ditch a regular season game just because of an extra game for a couple of teams at the end? Nah. They're not playing for free. Room, board, tuition, and all the perks the athletes get at these schools aren't peanuts. The truly talented NFL caliber players are getting it on the side as well.

How do we know who the top teams are now? UCF isn't getting a crack at it. OSU isn't either. As far as UM is concerned, I'd be bored with everything related to the football program. You should feel like OSU fans felt during the 13 years John Cooper was our coach.

And I too am tired of hearing that the kids play for free. Did you know that 10 of the B1G schools rank in the top 100 GLOBALLY with regard to research, teaching, and scholarship? If you go to a B1G school, you are getting an opportunity of a lifetime to better yourself and the fortunes of you and your family. The B1G is incredible...I graduated from OSU and worked at UW-Madison. The opportunity that exists for people to grow, develop, and prosper is INCREDIBLE. And I have colleagues at UM, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. that share the same perspective. But its not just the B1G, places like Florida, UT-Austin, etc. offer amazing opportunities that you could only wish for your children to have. They don't play for free...in many ways, they are offered so much more than a regular person. Try getting into OSU now...hope you get wait-listed if you're lucky!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
How do we know who the top teams are now? UCF isn't getting a crack at it. OSU isn't either.

We never "know." If UCF wants a shot, considering the level of competition they play in their conference, they should've continued to schedule tougher OOC opponents like they were and not teams like SC State and Florida Atlantic.

jpro said:
As far as UM is concerned, I'd be bored with everything related to the football program. You should feel like OSU fans felt during the 13 years John Cooper was our coach.

Blah blah blah. Here we are both playing in NY6 games.

jpro said:
And I too am tired of hearing that the kids play for free. Did you know that 10 of the B1G schools rank in the top 100 GLOBALLY with regard to research, teaching, and scholarship? If you go to a B1G school, you are getting an opportunity of a lifetime to better yourself and the fortunes of you and your family. The B1G is incredible...I graduated from OSU and worked at UW-Madison. The opportunity that exists for people to grow, develop, and prosper is INCREDIBLE. And I have colleagues at UM, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. that share the same perspective. But its not just the B1G, places like Florida, UT-Austin, etc. offer amazing opportunities that you could only wish for your children to have. They don't play for free...in many ways, they are offered so much more than a regular person. Try getting into OSU now...hope you get wait-listed if you're lucky!

Agreed. It wouldn't bother me if they came up with some method of paying the players over the table instead of under the table like they do now, but it'd be hard to do and keep the smaller schools competitive. I'm sure somebody will eventually come up with something. Until that time I hate hearing how they get "nothing" for playing.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Blah blah blah. Here we are both playing in NY6 games.

I actually wasn't busting your chops, I was serious. I can't imagine being on the business end of this rivalry for the past 18 years. I don't feel sorry for you, but our misery of winning twice in 13 years under Cooper looks like a Hawaiian vacation compared to winning twice in 18 tries, and this last loss has got to sting. That was a whoopin' no one expected. You know I have great respect for UM as an institution and as a football powerhouse...doesn't mean I can't hate them. :)

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I actually wasn't busting your chops, I was serious. I can't imagine being on the business end of this rivalry for the past 18 years. I don't feel sorry for you, but our misery of winning twice in 13 years under Cooper looks like a Hawaiian vacation compared to winning twice in 18 tries, and this last loss has got to sting. That was a whoopin' no one expected. You know I have great respect for UM as an institution and as a football powerhouse...doesn't mean I can't hate them. :)

I know I was just giving you shit back. I won't lie, it has sucked. I mean I can look past the RR and Hoke years, they were both in over their heads and had some extenuating circumstances passed on to each of them. Harbaugh has no excuse. Yes we "should've" won in 2016, and he had no QB in year 1, etc etc. But this year the team was playing well and had confidence. Hell even after the ass whoopin we got we still have the #1 defense, that's how good they were doing. They just got outcoached at every turn. They kept doing the same shit over and over and OSU was like, well ok we'll just keep doing what we're doing here. I mean sometimes games get out of hand towards the end, and if little things bounce the other way early on maybe it doesn't get out of hand, but either way we were losing this one. Way to go JIM.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I know I was just giving you shit back. I won't lie, it has sucked. I mean I can look past the RR and Hoke years, they were both in over their heads and had some extenuating circumstances passed on to each of them. Harbaugh has no excuse. Yes we "should've" won in 2016, and he had no QB in year 1, etc etc. But this year the team was playing well and had confidence. Hell even after the ass whoopin we got we still have the #1 defense, that's how good they were doing. They just got outcoached at every turn. They kept doing the same shit over and over and OSU was like, well ok we'll just keep doing what we're doing here. I mean sometimes games get out of hand towards the end, and if little things bounce the other way early on maybe it doesn't get out of hand, but either way we were losing this one. Way to go JIM.

I love Jim Harbaugh!!!!! LOL

On another note, Haskins has been invited to NYC as a Heisman finalist. He has my vote, but I know he won't win it.

Haskins: 4580 yards, 47 TD, 8 INT, 70.2% completions. Also had 4 rushing TDs
Tua: 3353 yards, 27 TD, 4 INT, 67.7% completions. Also had 5 rushing TDs
Murray: 4053 yards, 40 TD, 7 INT, 70.7% completions. 892 rushing yards and 11 TDs

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I love Jim Harbaugh!!!!! LOL

On another note, Haskins has been invited to NYC as a Heisman finalist. He has my vote, but I know he won't win it.

Haskins: 4580 yards, 47 TD, 8 INT, 70.2% completions. Also had 4 rushing TDs
Tua: 3353 yards, 27 TD, 4 INT, 67.7% completions. Also had 5 rushing TDs
Murray: 4053 yards, 40 TD, 7 INT, 70.7% completions. 892 rushing yards and 11 TDs

The rushing stats will put Murray over the top I bet. I haven't looked at the numbers but I suspect he did that against shittier defenses than Haskins faced. Still a great season by him regardless.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
The rushing stats will put Murray over the top I bet. I haven't looked at the numbers but I suspect he did that against shittier defenses than Haskins faced. Still a great season by him regardless.

All 3 are studs, but Tua didn’t finish well. Murray played two top 60 defenses (Iowa St and TCU). Haskins torched #1 (UM), and played against 6 other top 60 defenses (Penn St., Sparty, TCU, Minnesota, Maryland and Northwestern).

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
All 3 are studs, but Tua didn’t finish well. Murray played two top 60 defenses (Iowa St and TCU). Haskins torched #1 (UM), and played against 6 other top 60 defenses (Penn St., Sparty, TCU, Minnesota, Maryland and Northwestern).

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BUT, you also have to look at who those top 60 defenses played. Were they playing poor offenses, like "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offenses? It all factors in.

So Meyer is out. Figured that was going to happen. Meyer to retire from coaching after Rose Bowl

The combo of the Zach Smith fiasco and health issues did him in.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
@jpro I agree it should be expanded to 8 teams. Hell if Notre Dame tanks chances are they will have to join a conference down the road and probably should if they want in down the road. It maybe flawed some what but like @Sinister04L said it’s better than what we had. But to your post above imho they deserve to be in. They played 4 ranked teams yes only two are ranked now. But out of the top 4 a couple weeks back they had the toughest schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Urban had a great run. Great head coach, great all-time Buckeye. He is handing the reins over to a very capable, innovative young coach who I think will terrorize Michigan for years to come.

GO BUCKS!

On a side note, ordered my Rose Bowl tickets yesterday through OSU...Pasadena, here we come. Farewell to Urban with a crushing of Washington!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Urban had a great run. Great head coach, great all-time Buckeye. He is handing the reins over to a very capable, innovative young coach who I think will terrorize Michigan for years to come.

GO BUCKS!

On a side note, ordered my Rose Bowl tickets yesterday through OSU...Pasadena, here we come. Farewell to Urban with a crushing of Washington!

How is this going to affect recruiting? I know some recruits were holding out waiting to see what Meyer would do, but still may end up at OSU anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread