Official 2017 Formula 1 thread

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Well, the start and last few laps were entertaining. Other than that, I still maintain that Sochi is one of, if not the most boring tracks on the calendar. There was stretch of the race where not a single car was within 2 seconds of another. Most of the race felt like a free practice where everyone was just trying to stay in clean air.

But congrats to Bottas for his first F1 victory. I always knew he had it in him. Just needed the right equipment. And I'm glad to see Vettel increase his lead in the championship.

Coiled03

Established Member
Ferrari allowed MB to do the one thing they couldn't allow - get past them into turn 1. That's inexcusable, and may very well come back to bite them at the end of the year.

Not really a fan of Sochi, either. Fortunately, I doubt it will be on the calendar much longer.

Poor Alonso....didn't even make it to lights out this week.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Será sempre lembrado

212s9c0.jpg

Rare40th

Established Member
I am not sure how I missed this thread. Huge Ferrari fan here. Agreed it is awesome to see them back in contention with these new cars.

Bottas seems like a legit racer and will have continued success in the future. I wonder if Hamilton is getting agitated yet? Seems to me like he's probably used to being miles ahead of everyone and dominating the races

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I'm so excided for every race again... The potential of hearing German/Italian anthem again like the old shumi day literally brings a tear to my eye!!

Schumacher will always be my hero even tho Senna Imo was #1 driver in the history for F1... Schumacher a close 2nd

I haven't missed a race since 1994 when I first started watching F1

Coiled03

Established Member
Alonso looked great at Indy today. I watched the live feed of him doing the ROP. Marco Andretti of all people did the shakedown of the car for him - a guy who's never won anything shaking down a car for a 2-time world champion - but whatever.

Fastest lap Alonso ran was about 222.5, mid-230s at the end of the straights. Looked really comfortable in the car, but of course, it was set up for comfortable down force. Might be a little different when they trim it out for qualifying ,lol.

This year will be my 35th Indy 500 in a row, and I can't wait. This one will be special with Alonso in the field. I just hope he can make it through the turn 1 shenanigans and finish the race.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I know Alonso is a helluva long shot, but man I'd love to see him win it.
After the way this season has been going if anyone deserves a bit of good luck its him. I agree with Sochi being one of the more boring tracks, what are everyone's favorite? I am big fan of Spa as a F1 track and for being a blast in Forza.

Coiled03

Established Member
Spa is my favorite track by FAR, but I also like Monza, and COTA.

EDIT: I also used to love Hockenheim before they completely neutered it like many of the other tracks.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Another vote for Spa. Other greats are the Gilles Villenueve, Suzuka (when it's not pouring rain), COTA, and Marina Bay (there's just something about that track at night).

I enjoy the pomp and circumstance that comes with Monaco but the track itself is far too narrow.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Spa
Monza
Suzuki (RIP)
Hockenheim (old version)
I love Montreal because its a great track and I'm only 6 hrs away

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Surprised, and disappointed that Hamilton won at Spain. Seemed pretty clear to me that Ferrari had the better car, but got caught out by tire strategy. It almost seemed like they out-smarted themselves. And poor Kimi.....if he didn't have shit luck, he'd have no luck at all. No clue WTF Verstappen was thinking trying to go around the outside, there. Oh well....on to Monaco!

On a related note, I'm so stoked to see Alonso at Indy in two weeks!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Yeah, Spain was not at all what I expected. I think that if Ferrari had gone onto the mediums for the second stint and finished on a fresh set of softs, the outcome may have been much better. But the biggest turning point was Seb getting stuck behind Bottas. He made that Merc three cars wide for 2+ laps and that allowed Lewis to slash Vettel's lead.

I agree about Kimi. He's seriously talented but the poor guy can't catch a break. I think this is his last year in F1. I'd love to see Alonso back in Ferrari red!

Speaking of driver moves, did anyone catch what they were saying about the rumor mill spinning with Vettel/Mercedes talk next year? I do not see that happening at all. Ferrari is finally competitive again. Plus, what would that mean for Bottas? (because Hamilton is obviously not going anywhere) I mean, they just signed him and he's already won a race (and not due to a Hamilton retirement).

Finally, what the hell happened to Williams? Both cars were WAY off the pace. Massa even made is through to Q3.

Coiled03

Established Member
Yeah, Spain was not at all what I expected. I think that if Ferrari had gone onto the mediums for the second stint and finished on a fresh set of softs, the outcome may have been much better.

But, Vettel DID go on mediums for the second stint. They just never executed the last switch to softs, which is what they should've done. They waited too long seeing how long Hamilton would last on his mediums, expecting him to slow down much sooner. Hindsight is 20/20, but Vettel should've run a three stop race.

But the biggest turning point was Seb getting stuck behind Bottas. He made that Merc three cars wide for 2+ laps and that allowed Lewis to slash Vettel's lead.

Agree, and soon as Ferrari realized that, Vettel should've been in for softs for the fresh tires, track position, and to maximize his time to run down Hamilton.

Speaking of driver moves, did anyone catch what they were saying about the rumor mill spinning with Vettel/Mercedes talk next year? I do not see that happening at all. Ferrari is finally competitive again. Plus, what would that mean for Bottas? (because Hamilton is obviously not going anywhere) I mean, they just signed him and he's already won a race (and not due to a Hamilton retirement).

Yeah, I heard that stuff. Vettel would be an idiot to leave, now. But, stranger things have happened in the F1 garages. If he did, Bottas would be gone, likely to Ferrari, and Hamilton would get demolished by Vettel.

Finally, what the hell happened to Williams? Both cars were WAY off the pace. Massa even made is through to Q3.

I think they got caught up in traffic after the start. The middle of the pack is so competitive this year, it's hard to make any significant progress through the field.

Users who are viewing this thread