Official 2016 NCAA Football Thread

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Shit don't know what I was thinking there lol.

It happens to the best of us, lol. The best way to do it, like I've said before and Jpro pointed out, is to take your Power 5 Conference champs and 3 at-large teams. The at-large teams can come from inside or outside the Power 5 Conferences or independents. That way you can guarantee yourself a spot by actually winning the conference, and still let the polls and human voters come into play by selecting the other 3. Best of both worlds IMO.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It happens to the best of us, lol. The best way to do it, like I've said before and Jpro pointed out, is to take your Power 5 Conference champs and 3 at-large teams. The at-large teams can come from inside or outside the Power 5 Conferences or independents. That way you can guarantee yourself a spot by actually winning the conference, and still let the polls and human voters come into play by selecting the other 3. Best of both worlds IMO.

That really does make the most sense and seems fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
What I want to know is how Alabama has a stronger SOS than UM or OSU?

Bama has played 11, 14, 21 and 22 and has an FCS team on the schedule
UM has played 2, 5, 7, 8 and no FCS team on the schedule
OSU has played 5, 6, 7, 9 and no FCS team on the schedule

Explain that to me!
Bama's SOS is 2, OSU 26 and UM 52 according to ESPN. WTF!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Which is probably why it won't happen for a long while.

Makes too much sense.

This.

Explain that to me!

And this.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Explain that to me!

SEC bias.

tt54l32v

Established Member
So if the big 10 is the best conf and psu wins it then how can you leave them out?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
So if the big 10 is the best conf and psu wins it then how can you leave them out?

Because it's not that cut and dry. If Florida upsets Bama in the SEC championship game, would the committee jump them from 15 into the top 4? Would Bama fall out of the top 4? Nope. They'd still send a team that didn't win its conference over one that did. Now PSU's case is a bit different, considering they've already beaten OSU and would be winning a better conference, but there would be no guarantee. It would certainly factor into the decision though. Like I said before, it wouldn't bother me if they got in based on that.

It's all going to boil down to what set of criteria the CFP committee uses. Even if Clemson, Washington, and PSU (or Wisconsin for that matter) all win this weekend I still believe Michigan is one of the top 4 teams in the country. Do they deserve to make the playoff? Maybe. They have a case. I doubt they make it and would understand why.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member

Explain that to me!
Bama beat all those teams, pushing them further down. The B10 just round robin'd their wins. Nobody flat out dominated the conference.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Bama beat all those teams, pushing them further down. The B10 just round robin'd their wins. Nobody flat out dominated the conference.

All of those teams Bama beat also lost 3 other games each. Bama dominated the conference not only because they won, but those other teams just aren't that good.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
All of those teams Bama beat also lost 3 other games each. Bama dominated the conference not only because they won, but those other teams just aren't that good.

This.

It's been proven this year that when you lose to Bama it doesn't hurt your stock (Auburn is still at 14 and USC has climbed to 11). Hell, A&M is a fraud but was at 4 in the first CFP rankings because their only loss was to Bama.

I think Bama is the best team in the country, but the question is, can they be beaten? I will guarantee this...in the playoff, if they play two games they will be playing the best two teams they have faced this year. Their schedule has been filled with slightly above average teams so far, and they haven't faced anyone in the current top 10. Will be interesting to see if they are for real during the post season...and no, beating UF doesn't count. They stink too.

shb5007

Established Member
Well, Colorado didn't help out the B1G very much last night. But, if Washington is the best that the PAC has to offer, that is sad. Alabama is going to smoke them. I think Michigan, Penn State, or Wisconsin put up a better fight than the Huskies.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Well, Colorado didn't help out the B1G very much last night. But, if Washington is the best that the PAC has to offer, that is sad. Alabama is going to smoke them. I think Michigan, Penn State, or Wisconsin put up a better fight than the Huskies.

I agree, PSU, Michigan, and Wisky would all be a more "game" opponent to Bama than Washington. I also think all three are more deserving due to their schedules. Simply put, Washington is gonna get their asses kicked if they make the playoff, regardless of who they play.

Now, your point about Colorado helping out the B1G is interesting. I agree to an extent, but if the committee watched (which I'm sure they did) that game last night, they'd have to think about the level of competition Washington has played all season. First, they played the second weakest out of conference schedule in the country this year (127 out of 128). Second, Colorado was dismal, and if that is the second best team in the PAC, what does that say about Washington's conference and schedule. They played a weak ass schedule overall. Maybe if there is a blowout in the B1G the winner could leapfrog Washington? I know, crazy, but what I saw last night was pathetic. It looked like the MAC game! LOL

I hope we (OSU) pull Washington in the semifinals. :)

shb5007

Established Member
Now, your point about Colorado helping out the B1G is interesting. I agree to an extent, but if the committee watched (which I'm sure they did) that game last night, they'd have to think about the level of competition Washington has played all season. First, they played the second weakest out of conference schedule in the country this year (127 out of 128). Second, Colorado was dismal, and if that is the second best team in the PAC, what does that say about Washington's conference and schedule. They played a weak ass schedule overall. Maybe if there is a blowout in the B1G the winner could leapfrog Washington? I know, crazy, but what I saw last night was pathetic. It looked like the MAC game! LOL

Colorado losing (big) hurts Penn State because it doesn't open up that #4 spot, but it hurts Michigan too. That was one of their "big" wins, and Colorado looked absolutely terrible.

On the other side of the story, Temple destroying Navy today is good for Penn State. That has turned in to a solid win for Penn State over a now Conference Champion. Penn State now has wins over teams with 11 wins (Ohio State), 10 wins (Temple), and 8 wins (Iowa and Minnesota). A win against Wisconsin (10 win team) would further strengthen their resume.

Either way, I think Penn State's chance lies on the Hokies right now (plus an obvious win tonight). But, from watching Bama right now, I might just be happy with a Rose Bowl birth...and sit back and watch the Committee be laughable when Washington gets blown out by 4-5 touchdowns.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Colorado losing (big) hurts Penn State because it doesn't open up that #4 spot, but it hurts Michigan too. That was one of their "big" wins, and Colorado looked absolutely terrible.

On the other side of the story, Temple destroying Navy today is good for Penn State. That has turned in to a solid win for Penn State over a now Conference Champion. Penn State now has wins over teams with 11 wins (Ohio State), 10 wins (Temple), and 8 wins (Iowa and Minnesota). A win against Wisconsin (10 win team) would further strengthen their resume.

Either way, I think Penn State's chance lies on the Hokies right now (plus an obvious win tonight). But, from watching Bama right now, I might just be happy with a Rose Bowl birth...and sit back and watch the Committee be laughable when Washington gets blown out by 4-5 touchdowns.

Are you impressed by Bama today? I'm not. On offense they look BAD, but UF looks like they never played offense in their history! LOL I think Bama looks vulnerable against an inferior team.

shb5007

Established Member
Are you impressed by Bama today? I'm not. On offense they look BAD, but UF looks like they never played offense in their history! LOL I think Bama looks vulnerable against an inferior team.

As a whole, no. They have work to do. But as individuals, it is an amazing thing to watch. Remarkable athletes all over the field. The INT for TD and blocked punt for TD are two examples of this.

I would love the chance at Bama. It isn't a bad situation to be in, nobody would expect a win. It would be a good learning experience. However, our team is young (and should be even better next year), so there is nothing wrong with a B1G Championship and a trip to Pasadena at the end of the day. It is a great building block.

Looking forward to this game tonight. It should be interesting.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'd love a crack at Bama. They wouldn't get shit on our defense. I guess we're off to the Orange Bowl against FSU? That's the last prediction I saw.

Users who are viewing this thread