Official 2016-17 NHL thread

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Lets go Ducks. Looking like you finally woke the puck up. So much talent; why they cant close the deal I dont know.

Preds are showing they are no fluke to have gotten this far. This should be a long series.

Pens looked mortal last night. I would expect a lot more out of them in game 2.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yep I agree with you on both. Pens are never a team to be counted out.

Ducks are really going to have to pull their boot straps up. Plenty of talent but they've just never seemed to put it together correctly.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
No sport has better playoffs than the NHL. Karlsson is really showing what he is this year and he is a fun player to watch. Guy Boucher gives some great commentary, not quite the Tortorella level though, but it's still good. I'll never understand why Crosby pulls the cheap shots and diving like he does. All that talent he doesn't need to act like that and he wins cups, gold medals, etc.

I do get tired of all the NBC coverage of the Blackhawks and Penguins. I also think Bettman is upset because Edmonton is out and he wanted an Edmonton Pittsburgh final. I know he's not big on Canada, but he wanted Crosby vs McDavid in the finals and the thought of Nashville vs. Ottawa has to sicken him. As usual the Capitals and Canadiens were early exits. Don't think anyone was surprised by that. Bruins were not shock either.

One thing I'll never understand is the ball washing of Lundqvist. He's been to 1 cup final and lost. He's been on the Swedish olympic team and how couldn't you win on a team like that? I keep hearing all the fanboys calling him King Henrik. I don't see him any difference than Holtby or Price. They'll put up regular season numbers, but come playoff time they can't win you a series.

Bruins need to dump Krejci, I know they won't, but man is he overpaid. All that money for a soft player who is hurt every year w/o fail. He made it the whole regular season this year and of course gets hurt in the playoffs. Their "top line center" as usual was out and he's supposed to be their best offensive forward. I look at Kessel not wanting to be here and the Seguin trade and would rather have either of those guys than Krejci. He's a huge cap hit that could got a real center. He's paid to produce and he doesn't.

mysterio

Established Member
If the Preds happen to go all the way....which is not as far-fetched as it would have sounded if said in round 1....I think Pekka Rinne is almost a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
If the Preds happen to go all the way....which is not as far-fetched as it would have sounded if said in round 1....I think Pekka Rinne is almost a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe.

He probably would get it but talk about a team that put it in another gear for the playoffs. That's one group of guys that's not going to be out-worked. And that Nashville crowd can really stir it up.

Great thing about the NHL is you get these Cinderella stories. Not like the NBA where you knew who was going to play in the finals this year in October.

mysterio

Established Member
Steve and notch, funny that you guys mention this sport's playoffs in comparison to the NBA. Jeremy Roenick was saying about the same exact thing during one of the intermissions last night.

Matter of fact, Steve, he almost quoted you word for word about knowing who was going to play in the NBA finals in Oct. So there you go.

And that was one exciting game, which felt like it was heading for OT, as the Ducks gained momentum. All those fans that were lucky enough.....or wealthy enough.....to get tickets will remember that game for many years.

Good for the franchise and city, though it was amusing as hell to see such a delayed reaction to the hat trick. Maybe they all collectively had to check Google as to what to do. ;)

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
JR's watching this thread and stealing my material Jeff. lol

Was hoping for a game 7 but congrats to the Preds although it was almost like anytime they needed to score last night they just needed to put a shot on goal.

mysterio

Established Member
Even though the Sens came up just one goal short of punching their ticket, I think they earned tremendous respect through out the hockey community. Especially Craig Anderson. Their resiliency in each series was very impressive. And no blame should go to Anderson on that winning goal.

But these double OT games are just killing me.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Yeah, Anderson was outstanding. Sens could have easily been blown out if not for him.

On to the finals. I think the Preds have a real shot here even with a couple of key injuries.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Preds had the worst luck in the first period from a goal that should not have been overturned, to bad officiating, to bad bounces yet they managed to fight back from 3 goals down and tie the game and they just needed 1 save from their goalie and didn't get it. It's all about timely saves man. Pitt went almost 40 minutes without a shot!!! That's unheard of.

mysterio

Established Member
First time in the Cup Final, since 1958, that a team goes an entire per w/o a SOG. According to NHL radio guys.

They also discussed (and I agree) that the overturned goal was in accordance with the letter of the law, but NOT the spirit of the law, from which it was intended.

Can just allowing the breaking of the plane (a vertical plane would be another way to look at it) of the blue line be in the near future?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Jeff, every time there is an off side challenge I want to turn the channel and never watch another game in my life. (I obviously don't) But I think it is the worst rule in any sport.
But to your point about the breaking of the plane, that alone would make it so much less painful as so many of the off side challenges are whether or not the skate was on or off the ice.

mysterio

Established Member
Exactly right, Steve. And think of how such a modification would speed up the replays and decisions.

That's one reason why I think it will be discussed in more serious detail this off-season.

mysterio

Established Member
Guys, was this catfish thrown on the ice last night offside?

Standby for replays and 10 min of interpretation.

FFE3FE84-064E-4B46-B4C4-86A3FAE72E63_zpsgg4bsnvi.jpg

mysterio

Established Member
Anybody else feel like the Pens' talent is just overwhelming the Preds? Plus, Nashville's lack of playoff experience at this high level is really starting to show.

Too many guys making both mistakes and bad decisions. And where did playoff Rinne go to?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Anybody else feel like the Pens' talent is just overwhelming the Preds? Plus, Nashville's lack of playoff experience at this high level is really starting to show.

They didn't have a good game 2 but I don't know, I felt like the Preds should have had game 1 if not for some terrible luck. They were better than Pitt in that game. Lets see what happens in Smashville.

Too many guys making both mistakes and bad decisions. And where did playoff Rinne go to?

Playoff Rinne reminds me a lot of playoff Rask.

mysterio

Established Member
We all clearly missed something in the warm-ups: Murray and Rinne switched places.

Also, during the 2nd intermission, did anybody else hear Mike Milbury say that 'this was Pittsburgh's best game'? Um, what game was he watching?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I didn't hear him say that but was it possible he mispoke and meant Nashville?

Nice that they're back in it but game 4 is also a must win.

mysterio

Established Member
Which Pekka Rinne will show up and the overall unpredictable nature of this series is making it pretty darn good, IMO.

Did you guys see how many people were gathered outside Bridgestone arena? That's at least one Southern city that has embraced the sport.

Users who are viewing this thread