Official 2016-17 NHL thread

mysterio

Established Member
Pre-season games are underway, and puck drop to start the season is just around the corner. So I guess it's about time we have a season thread.

Interesting tidbits: Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov are both hold outs for their respective teams. And both teams would be big-time gimped w/o those guys, so it'll be interesting to see which side caves first.

Also, that little cheap shot punk Max Lapierre was cut by the Rangers. Hope that's the last the league sees of that ass hat, and I wish he would take his buddy Burrows with him.

Bring on some hockey!

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Yeah, I'm really getting nervous with this Johnny issue.
We really can't lose him, so I'm hoping a deal is made soon.
I would be sickened watching him play for another team.

mysterio

Established Member
Yeah, I'm really getting nervous with this Johnny issue.
We really can't lose him, so I'm hoping a deal is made soon.
I would be sickened watching him play for another team.

Your Flames anywhere near the cap, Zak? Or is he just asking too much?

In other camp news, some other cuts this week included Raffi Torres (good riddance), tough guy Tanner Glass (Rangers) and cement head Zac Rinaldo (Bruins).

Steve, Notch or any other B's fan: didn't they wave/cut that clown last season? I could have sworn they did? So what was he doing back in camp, taking up a potentially valuable spot from someone else?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Steve, Notch or any other B's fan: didn't they wave/cut that clown last season? I could have sworn they did? So what was he doing back in camp, taking up a potentially valuable spot from someone else?

I think Rinaldo was either in Providence or scratched, I don't think he was ever released in any way.

As much as we can't stand guys like Torres, Lappiere, Burrows etc, they make the game more fun. You gotta have guys to hate on. I'm so glad Andrew Shaw is in our division now to annoy us and on the Canadiens no less.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Your Flames anywhere near the cap, Zak? Or is he just asking too much?

In other camp news, some other cuts this week included Raffi Torres (good riddance), tough guy Tanner Glass (Rangers) and cement head Zac Rinaldo (Bruins).

They signed Monahan for 6.38 million, and Giordano for 6.75, but Gaudreau wants 8 million to sign, he was originally asking for 10!
He is a restricted free agent, so we own the rights to him, but if this gets ugly I could see him sitting out this year.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I think Rinaldo was either in Providence or scratched, I don't think he was ever released in any way.

As much as we can't stand guys like Torres, Lappiere, Burrows etc, they make the game more fun. You gotta have guys to hate on. I'm so glad Andrew Shaw is in our division now to annoy us and on the Canadiens no less.

Torres doesn't make the game fun, he makes it dangerous. He's nothing but a cheap shot artist who actually had some talent. I'd glad he's gone. It's one less in the league. Glass is just getting too old. He wasn't a superstar, but he also wasn't a coward and could give you something. I think it's funny Lapierre got cut by the Rangers. Didn't he play for Vigneault in Vancouver?

Rinaldo was put on waivers and sent to Providence. I forgot about him. He then got suspended by the AHL for a head shot. That has to be one of Sweeney's dumbest trades ever. I don't think you'll see him on the Bruins NHL roster again.

As a Bruins fan I'm not optimistic for this season. They get worse each year on D. Chara needs to go. He should really retire, but he won't and the Bruins could really use the cap relief. I like the Marchand deal seeing as the cap will go up each year and his contract won't. I wouldn't mind seeing Krejci go either. He's injured most every season, isn't tough and doesn't produce enough to justify over 7 million a year. With both Krejci and Chara gone you have some cap space to trade for a true top 4 D or sign one in the offseason. Haven't seen much of Carlo since only 2 preseason games were televised here, but word is he looks pretty good and could be up this year. If so then maybe he can produce at that position. I'd also like to see Jimmy Hayes gone. He was useless last year and I don't see him being any different this year. Doesn't score, hit, fight, assist, kill penalties, produce on the PP, etc. What good is he?

Bruins need some major D help and reliable goal tending. 2 things I don't know if they will get.

Looks like Fleury will be #1 for the Penguins to start. I don't like Gaudreau holding out. You signed a contract and you should honor it. They pay you each week the agreed upon amount, even if injured, and you owe them your half as a professional with a legal contract.

Anyone excited for the Vegas team? I think it's cool a major pro league has a team there, but I don't want more expansion in the NHL. There are enough bad teams each year and we don't need more. I think any team in Vegas will be successful because of where it's at. Although maybe they will take Kevan Miller or McQuaid in the expansion draft. That would really help the Bruins out.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
They signed Monahan for 6.38 million, and Giordano for 6.75, but Gaudreau wants 8 million to sign, he was originally asking for 10!
He is a restricted free agent, so we own the rights to him, but if this gets ugly I could see him sitting out this year.

10 million for Gaudreau who has been in the league 2 years? Wow that's an ego right there. He hasn't earned that type of deal yet. He could become that type of player. He could also turn into a Lindros Kariya type with injury issues that shorten his career and limit his potential.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Finally a Bruins pre-season game was televised. Hard to tell seeing only 1 game but looks like same old same old. Mainly a struggle to score goals.

Torres doesn't make the game fun, he makes it dangerous. He's nothing but a cheap shot artist who actually had some talent. I'd glad he's gone. It's one less in the league.

Anyone excited for the Vegas team? I think it's cool a major pro league has a team there, but I don't want more expansion in the NHL. There are enough bad teams each year and we don't need more. I think any team in Vegas will be successful because of where it's at. Although maybe they will take Kevan Miller or McQuaid in the expansion draft. That would really help the Bruins out.

You're right about Torres. He is more of a danger than just an annoying pest but I think hockey is becoming to bland with the weeding out of the toughness the game needs and go strictly with talent. Not that we're there yet but that seems to be the direction the league is headed.

I am totally against expansion and would rather see contraction. That's another problem with the game with so many teams you've lost the fierce rivalries. At least the NHL is nowhere near the NBA in regards to bad teams.

mysterio

Established Member

mysterio

Established Member
Wow, Auston Matthews. First player in NHL history to score FOUR goals in his first game, and it's not even over yet.

And this is what Roberto Luongo just tweeted out:
I've just decided that Reims will play ALL of the games versus the leafs this year...... #Matthews

LOL, that guy has a hell of a sense of humor.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
It was cool seeing Gretzky and Messier on the ice tonight for the Oilers opener.
Really excited to see this game tonight between Calgary and Edmonton with the new talent.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Wow, Auston Matthews. First player in NHL history to score FOUR goals in his first game, and it's not even over yet.

I guess he was drafted 1st for a reason.
Maple Leafs will be very happy with their pick, if he continues to play this way.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Nice comeback win for the Bruins. Columbus isn't much of a test but the B's looked pretty good the 2nd half of the game, and Marchand was unstoppable with a 5 point game.

M91196

Established Member
Unlike the NFL the NHL recognizes who the real victims are.

I believe the entire hockey community is much more humble, down to earth and real from pee-wee to the NHL because the commitment and hard work required by the players and their support system(5 AM ice and countless tournaments all over)
Not a lot of entitled punks can make it thru a Jr program or Div 1. And that is obviously reflected all the way up to the home office in Toronto.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I believe the entire hockey community is much more humble, down to earth and real from pee-wee to the NHL because the commitment and hard work required by the players and their support system(5 AM ice and countless tournaments all over)
Not a lot of entitled punks can make it thru a Jr program or Div 1. And that is obviously reflected all the way up to the home office in Toronto.

Without a doubt.

steeltoe

Established Member
So how long before Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews stop replacing people as the face of the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread