OFFICAL: HEDGHOG F1A Build Thread!!

Ukfox89

Established Member
well ladies and gentleman, the time of year has to come where weather is getting bad, so the car is locked up and up on jack stands. the build is officially under way. Plans for the car may not seem as crazy as some of the builds on here, but its pretty exciting for me.

Well plans for the car are as follows:
F1A Race Kit Cog Drive
88 Tooth upper, 42 tooth lower
Polished Procharger hat, staying Air to Water right now.
Fore 1400HP return fuel system
80lb injectors
E85 tune and pump gas 91 for daily driving.
Yes...im keeping the 6 spd and that has a brand new clutch. rest of the car is getting the minor details it needs for the new additions. anyway, on to the pics.

This is the car that's going under...
IMG_2752_zpsa1601828.jpg

Procharger polished by yours truly
IMG_2731_zps4fb7fa22.jpg

rest of the kit, polished hat, polished custom intake, brackets and all the rest...
IMG_2707_zps44d92d82.jpg

IMG_2719_zpsd32027d7.jpg

IMG_2708_zps35925362.jpg

Started Tearing down the engine sunday night...so far so good, have most the front mount stuff removed. including the power steering oil lines, engine coolant lines, all the intercooler lines, and the alternator.
IMG_2756_zps4befa4a9.jpg

This is the power steerin gline you remove. I was concerned because I thought it was going to be high pressure and have a special hose made, but luckey its regular soft line. so relocating will be easy.
IMG_2759_zps8397820a.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsb94bd505.jpg

Removed the front Intercooler water adapter to make way for the new one that comes with the porcharger kit and to be able to remove the blower.
IMG_2760_zps9bd30b9c.jpg

And last thing that needs to come off is the lower crank pulley for the blower, as usual its being a pain in the ass. its extremely tight and bending the whole front of the crank, so im calling it a night tonight and will upload more progress tomorrow.
IMG_2762_zpsd7c735a0.jpg

Any input on the build is much appreciated, this is my first procharger, but not y first cobra. Im extremely excited and cant wait to get it finished, with that being said I plan to take my time and do it right the first time. Will be getting tuned in texas at either Gearheads or HPP, and new motor will most likely be coming middle of the new year. Enjoy and ill post more tomorrow....
Thanks Ben

Ukfox89

Established Member
That's what I have heard. I have been to Travis at gear heads and he's always done a good job tuning my car. Have a friend getting his lightning done right now at HPP. See how it turns out

stangfreak

Established Member
I would do a search on installing a procharger. For it to work 100% you have to change a lot of things. Like go air to air, changing the lower manifold due to the lenght of the runners, etc. If you just bolt on the procharger kit you will be disappointed. I would talk to juiced46. He was one of the first 03 cobra guys to install one when it came out years ago. Both people I know no longer have the procharger kit on there cars.

if you change over the parts that are needed to make it work, it will be faster than a twinscrew car.

Ukfox89

Established Member
I would do a search on installing a procharger. For it to work 100% you have to change a lot of things. Like go air to air, changing the lower manifold due to the lenght of the runners, etc. If you just bolt on the procharger kit you will be disappointed. I would talk to juiced46. He was one of the first 03 cobra guys to install one when it came out years ago. Both people I know no longer have the procharger kit on there cars.

if you change over the parts that are needed to make it work, it will be faster than a twinscrew car.

I have had twin screw cars, and that's not what I wanted. I have also had turbo cars, again not what I wanted. For it to work 100% I could do a whole lot less than what I have done and it would still run its ass off. When people say you HAVE to run air to air, it cracks me up, and change a whole lot of stuff? im 95% finished al I have done is take some stuff off, add some stuff that all came in the kit, relocate the battery, and move the coolant tanks. I wouldn't say that's a whole lot. The procharger instructions suck balls, they did nothing but confuse matters. Heres some more pics of some progress....
IMG_2788_zps95466c96.gif

IMG_2784_zpsfe290563.gif

IMG_2787_zpsdf0a7807.gif

IMG_2806_zps8e3f3e72.jpg

IMG_2807_zpsc8dfeedf.jpg

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I have had twin screw cars, and that's not what I wanted. I have also had turbo cars, again not what I wanted. For it to work 100% I could do a whole lot less than what I have done and it would still run its ass off. When people say you HAVE to run air to air, it cracks me up, and change a whole lot of stuff? im 95% finished al I have done is take some stuff off, add some stuff that all came in the kit, relocate the battery, and move the coolant tanks. I wouldn't say that's a whole lot. The procharger instructions suck balls, they did nothing but confuse matters. Heres some more pics of some progress....

Why does it crack you up when people say that. Its a fact.

The problem is the intake. The intake is not designed for for a centri blower and KILLS your power band. Trust me. Yea it may make some good PEAK #s. But that doesnt mean shit because whats below that is absolutely garbage across the board with the Procharger wedge intake coupled to a stock 03 Cobra lower. Its not optimal, its a waste of time to even use it. You need to change the intake and go air to air. If you dont, then enjoy your absoluetely aweful powerband.

Here are some comparison dyno sheets. Both 03 Cobras. One with a F1 @ 19psi the other is a Kb2.2 @ 19psi.

HP Graph. KB is Blue. Procharger is Red.

PCkbHPgraph.JPG

Look at that beautiful TQ curve from that awesome air to water intake!! LOL

PCkbTQgraph.JPG

Goodluck:beer:

Last edited:

Ukfox89

Established Member
no doubt its not optimal power band. I knew that going in. The plan is to find a Sullivan upper and lower. I have heard so many mixed reviews on the 99/0 cobra intakes. but for right now, until spring time, ill be sticking with the procharger hat and keeping an eye out for a Sullivan intake and collectin everything I need for air to air.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
If you are going to e85, then your going to need more than 80lb injectors if you want to make 700 plus hp...not that you can't make 700, but your going to be taxing the system. I made 680 @17.5 psi with 50psi fuel pressure on a turbo setup (10 above normal) with 80's and my inj duty cycle was @90

Blackedout

Established Member
Why does it crack you up when people say that. Its a fact.

The problem is the intake. The intake is not designed for for a centri blower and KILLS your power band. Trust me. Yea it may make some good PEAK #s. But that doesnt mean shit because whats below that is absolutely garbage across the board with the Procharger wedge intake coupled to a stock 03 Cobra lower. Its not optimal, its a waste of time to even use it. You need to change the intake and go air to air. If you dont, then enjoy your absoluetely aweful powerband.

Here are some comparison dyno sheets. Both 03 Cobras. One with a F1 @ 19psi the other is a Kb2.2 @ 19psi.

HP Graph. KB is Blue. Procharger is Red.

PCkbHPgraph.JPG

Look at that beautiful TQ curve from that awesome air to water intake!! LOL

PCkbTQgraph.JPG

Goodluck:beer:

How about post a graph where you used different intake and a-a intercooler so we can see the difference...

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
How about post a graph where you used different intake and a-a intercooler so we can see the difference...

I attached the picture below. This is not my dyno sheet but a user on here running an F1A with an Air to air and the correct intake @20psi. Its a proven fact that the 03 Cobra lower with the procharger upper is BAD. The insanly short runners kills the power band.

Here is the graph.

img3038gi.jpg

@ 4000 RPM. Procharger Intake makes 275rwhp 375rwtq
@ 4000 RPM. A Mach1 intake w/ A/A is 475rwhp 550rwtq

@ 5000 RPM Procharger = 425rwhp 450rwtq
@ 5000 RPM Mach 1 intake= 650rwhp 650rwtq

Look how much sooner the TQ comes in with the Mach1 intake vs the Cobra Intake/procharger combo...... Its just not a good design. Thats why that kit was never a huge hit. The F1A F1C and F1R blowers are bad ass when setup correctly. When used with the 03 Cobra intake/procharger upper. Its garbage. TRUST ME. I have owned them, I have installed many. I tested it for Procharger when it first came out for these cars.

I have built many many many Cobras with various combos. Its lazy without the correct supporting intake mods. All it does it make alot of cool noises.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
what would be the correct intake to use with the F1A then?

On a stock 03 Cobra motor- a 2003-2004 Mach1 intake or 99/01 Cobra intake with an air to air intercooler. Also the issue here is not about the factory 03 Cobra air/water intercoolers efficiency its the issue of the 03 Cobra lower short runner intake with the wedge upper that is causing the issue.

I am also by no means trying to take away from the OPs build. Just trying to shed some light on WHY this is mentioned. Trust me. a 600rwhp F1A car with this setup is going to have a HARD time walking away from a Ported Eaton Cobra. Your run of the mill Terminator with any twinscrew will run away from that F1A setup very very easily.

Now also, I know the 2nd graph I posted that car is making much more power. However look away from the power #s and look at the TQ and HP curves. Thats where there is a significant difference.....

TP 112

Established Member
thanks for the info. this is the type of info that can steer people into the wright direction with there projects and make the correct choices before starting a project.

Blackedout

Established Member
I attached the picture below. This is not my dyno sheet but a user on here running an F1A with an Air to air and the correct intake @20psi. Its a proven fact that the 03 Cobra lower with the procharger upper is BAD. The insanly short runners kills the power band.

Here is the graph.

img3038gi.jpg

@ 4000 RPM. Procharger Intake makes 275rwhp 375rwtq
@ 4000 RPM. A Mach1 intake w/ A/A is 475rwhp 550rwtq

@ 5000 RPM Procharger = 425rwhp 450rwtq
@ 5000 RPM Mach 1 intake= 650rwhp 650rwtq

Look how much sooner the TQ comes in with the Mach1 intake vs the Cobra Intake/procharger combo...... Its just not a good design. Thats why that kit was never a huge hit. The F1A F1C and F1R blowers are bad ass when setup correctly. When used with the 03 Cobra intake/procharger upper. Its garbage. TRUST ME. I have owned them, I have installed many. I tested it for Procharger when it first came out for these cars.

I have built many many many Cobras with various combos. Its lazy without the correct supporting intake mods. All it does it make alot of cool noises.

^^^^ Is this in a MACH 1 ???? whats it run at the track ???

Users who are viewing this thread