Octane booster questions

I have a small dilemna. Had no choice but to fill up the Termi with regular today (87 octane here) as that's all I have access too.

So I swung by Advanced Auto and picked up the last bottle of octane booster on the shelf. Its NOS Octane booster (Racing Formula). According to the label, if you pour it into at least 16 gallons it raises the octane by 6pts.

I was originally looking for the Lucas octane booster that reportedly raises octane by 3 pts.

I see so much debate on many forums about these octane boosters not meeting their claims. So what opinions do you folks have?

I may not have access to 93 octane gas for another week or so and of course I'm concerned about this particular octane booster not doing what its advertised to do. Even staying off the gas isn't practical at times and that's why I'm concerned about what's in my gas tank at the moment.

Thoughts?

Btw, I am not driving to pick up race fuel. The nearest location is in a real banged up area right now.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Toulene and xylene are the too main ingredients of off the shelf octane boosters. Both are available at Home Depot out paint supply stores. Can't remember the actual ratios of mixture though.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Toulene and xylene are the too main ingredients of off the shelf octane boosters. Both are available at Home Depot out paint supply stores. Can't remember the actual ratios of mixture though.

I've made home brew race gas for a friend's 2-stroke dirt bike before and he loved it. I used xylene.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Where abouts? I went hunting today in Somerset and Union County and couldn't find 93.

The hess station on route 18 in east brunswick had it, I believe all the gas stations in milltown do also. My friend up in green brook tried to get 93 today but all they had was 87, even though the same station had 93 the other day:dw:

LT1Squirrel

Established Member
Every station in mercer has every grade from what ive seen, and no restrictions on days

The hess station on route 18 in east brunswick had it, I believe all the gas stations in milltown do also. My friend up in green brook tried to get 93 today but all they had was 87, even though the same station had 93 the other day:dw:

Every station in mercer has every grade from what ive seen, and no restrictions on days

Thanks for the tips fellas. Guess I'm going to have to go and drive a little to get the good stuff.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
7 points made it 87.7

:nonono: Seriously?? That was incredibly helpful..:rollseyes

:dw: Last post in this thread was 11-08-2012 10:48 PM

Rule #12. Bringing old threads and polls back to the top is prohibited. The definition of “old” will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the SVTP staff. If you cannot reasonably infer what constitutes an “old thread” ask a moderator.

My rule of thumb is 2-3 months at the most. Everyone is different and also the section and/or topic plays a part.

Users who are viewing this thread