Obviously I'm a jerk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Craigslist/facebook is like an on line garage sale, where I expect to haggle as well. I just sold my 65 F100 on craigslist and I knew we would have a small price dance, but I'm not a dealer and the truck was a toy, not everyday transportation in a hot market. I got what I wanted out of it. Still, I emailed back the other people that had expressed interest so they would know to move on, just like you do. Its a courtesy to the potential customers. Some people will never be happy. Guy would probably haver complained about a few rock chips if you had sold it to him.

thats the one thing I'll give FB over CL, you can hit the sold button and it marks it as such for everyone

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought it was polite to let him know it was gone and just in case he were to send me an email offer, not to because it's spoken for. I literally teach our employees to do it this way so customers have all of the information that they can and it gets rid of the issues with "well I wanted it and you sold it...blah blah blah."

The guy called you a shyster.....in a round about way. It's acceptable to let him know you aren't.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
@13COBRA

I learned years ago from a friend in retail, “sometimes the best deal is no deal”

applies even to my business, commercial real estate.

Tried to do a deal with Panera bread, franchisee was a total ass, pissed me off right from the start. Told him deal is off, go pound sand.

Ended up with a Dairy Queen grill and chil, father and son franchisee, nicest, honest people I’ve ever met, couldn’t be happier with them as a tenant.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
The customer who purchased it is doing a 7.3L swap.

I'll keep my eyes open for one.

A 7.3l godzilla swap or a 7.3l international power stroke? Ive never heard of either being done. Gonna be an expensive PITA. I bet it never gets done

cummins 6bt would be easier/cheaper... just my 2 cents..

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A 7.3l godzilla swap or a 7.3l international power stroke? Ive never heard of either being done. Gonna be an expensive PITA. I bet it never gets done

cummins 6bt would be easier/cheaper... just my 2 cents..

7.3L Powerstroke. He's done 3 other trucks. I'm not sure $$$ is an issue for him.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
as an impartial observer it looks like the only purpose of the email was to "stick it to the guy" and throw it in his face that you sold it for higher, seemed spiteful. Im sure you meant well but alot of people wouldnt like that follow up

me personally i would have never paid that high for a 6.0L. Regardless of mileage and up keep its almost guaranteed to have high dollar repairs down the road. Things can get out of hand quick ..injectors, vgt, egr, oil cooler, ipr, ficm, head gaskets, hpop :eek:

that being said, if you get a line on a clean 05 eddie bauer v10 excursion hit me up..

I took this post serious until this:

"me personally i would have never paid that high for a 6.0L. Regardless of mileage and up keep its almost guaranteed to have high dollar repairs down the road. Things can get out of hand quick ..injectors, vgt, egr, oil cooler, ipr, ficm, head gaskets, hpop :eek:"

The market is what the market is bro. If you were a prudent buyer, you'd know that even at $25k you could sell it for profit if you wanted to.

Then fully realized it wasnt a serious post when you said this:

"If you get a line on a clean 05 eddie bauer v10 excursion hit me up"

wat.gif

lmfao, gtfo with that ... what in the?? Obviously trolling.

bahahahahahahaha

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I took this post serious until this:

"me personally i would have never paid that high for a 6.0L. Regardless of mileage and up keep its almost guaranteed to have high dollar repairs down the road. Things can get out of hand quick ..injectors, vgt, egr, oil cooler, ipr, ficm, head gaskets, hpop :eek:"

The market is what the market is bro. If you were a prudent buyer, you'd know that even at $25k you could sell it for profit if you wanted to.

Then fully realized it wasnt a serious post when you said this:

"If you get a line on a clean 05 eddie bauer v10 excursion hit me up"

View attachment 1715398

lmfao, gtfo with that ... what in the?? Obviously trolling.

bahahahahahahaha

not trolling... The 6.0L is the laughing stock of the diesel world. What other motor do you need to spend $10k "bullet proofing" to get it to run reliably? And i dont think theres another engine in the history of the auto industry that had over a billion in warranty claims.

people can spend their money how they choose.. 7.3L is a better choice and i could replace an entire v10 for the price of a set of injectors and ficm in a 6. Thats a fact.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
@13COBRA

I learned years ago from a friend in retail, “sometimes the best deal is no deal”

applies even to my business, commercial real estate.

Tried to do a deal with Panera bread, franchisee was a total ass, pissed me off right from the start. Told him deal is off, go pound sand.

Ended up with a Dairy Queen grill and chil, father and son franchisee, nicest, honest people I’ve ever met, couldn’t be happier with them as a tenant.

**** Panera anyway. $23 dollars every time I go in. Never again. I ain't financing ****in' hospital food.

Panera is only good for breaking up with girls. It's quiet and relaxing in there. Everyone knows it, too. The won't make a scene, because if they disrupt the tranquility of the Panera for everyone else, they also disrupt the tranquility of Panera for themselves, forever. And white women LOVE Panera.

Anyways, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the guy who lowballed OP on the Excursion or whatever and whined about it. **** that guy, too.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
not trolling... The 6.0L is the laughing stock of the diesel world. What other motor do you need to spend $10k "bullet proofing" to get it to run reliably? And i dont think theres another engine in the history of the auto industry that had over a billion in warranty claims.

people can spend their money how they choose.. 7.3L is a better choice and i could replace an entire v10 for the price of a set of injectors and ficm in a 6. Thats a fact.

You definitely either had a good one or a bad one.

Bullet proofing one around here only ran about $7k though. Typically I have more than that in wheels on my truck.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
We traded for a 2005 Excursion 6.0L on Saturday. Incredibly nice, well kept, strong running truck. It has 146k on it. The interior, looks brand new. The body, looks brand new. Brand new tires, etc. Everything looks new. Engine runs strong, no issues.

Within 72 hours, we received 13 leads on it. More than half of them were people wanting to finance it for 72+ months, etc. You know the crowd. Gotta have the cool ride, but want the minimum payments.

Anyways, we get a lead from a customer in Alabama that reads like this, excuse the random punctuation, that's a coding issue coming from Autotrader:

View attachment 1715125

In which I respond with an email personally saying:

View attachment 1715126

I felt like further explaining where we were on the price and how we came up with it, might bring a little bit of reason into the conversation.

Well, he didn't reply, which is totally fine, and not a big deal.

Today we sold that car, 96 hours, to a customer in Texas (who is getting perhaps the nicest 100K+ mile Excursion on the planet). So, I emailed the Alabama customer and said:

View attachment 1715127

I thought it was polite to let him know it was gone and just in case he were to send me an email offer, not to because it's spoken for. I literally teach our employees to do it this way so customers have all of the information that they can and it gets rid of the issues with "well I wanted it and you sold it...blah blah blah."

I get a response back:

View attachment 1715129

People are unbelievable.

B2908E47-3C72-4FBC-B745-514231E96F38.jpeg

flash0080

Established Member

Its less than 2000 for injectors and a ficm. A complete v10 is less than that?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I cant stand dealing with some of these CL/OU people today. Most offer half or less than what im asking. They dont even use a full sentence.

And then there are some where ill agree to their offer and then they ask me where im located (offer up). Its on the map in the ad! I tell them where in at and its “oh thats too far”

Im from the old school where you GO LOOK at the item in person and then make an offer. Not just throwing out lame offers left and right hoping for a desperate sucker to bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I cant stand dealing with some of these CL/OU people today. Most offer half or less than what im asking. They dont even use a full sentence.

And then there are some where ill agree to their offer and then they ask me where im located (offer up). Its on the map in the ad! I tell them where in at and its “oh thats too far”

Im from the old school where you GO LOOK at the item in person and then make an offer. Not just throwing out lame offers left and right hoping for a desperate sucker to bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When people offer me less than my asking price before they've even seen the item in person, it lets me know that they aren't serious. Once I realized that, selling stuff got way easier and I ended up with far less of my time wasted.

If you're seeing the item in person and it isn't exactly what you expected, I'll happily knock 20% off the price since I priced it 20% over what I expected to sell it for anyways. Everyone feels like they "won" in the end. You have to be smarter than what you're working with.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a guy agree to $8k on my Duramax then offer me $6k in person with the envelope of money in his hand. I told him no to several offers on our way back up to $8k. If I didn't want it gone so bad I would have just left.

Users who are viewing this thread