Obviously I'm a jerk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We traded for a 2005 Excursion 6.0L on Saturday. Incredibly nice, well kept, strong running truck. It has 146k on it. The interior, looks brand new. The body, looks brand new. Brand new tires, etc. Everything looks new. Engine runs strong, no issues.

Within 72 hours, we received 13 leads on it. More than half of them were people wanting to finance it for 72+ months, etc. You know the crowd. Gotta have the cool ride, but want the minimum payments.

Anyways, we get a lead from a customer in Alabama that reads like this, excuse the random punctuation, that's a coding issue coming from Autotrader:

upload_2021-8-4_15-51-24.png

In which I respond with an email personally saying:

upload_2021-8-4_15-52-2.png

I felt like further explaining where we were on the price and how we came up with it, might bring a little bit of reason into the conversation.

Well, he didn't reply, which is totally fine, and not a big deal.

Today we sold that car, 96 hours, to a customer in Texas (who is getting perhaps the nicest 100K+ mile Excursion on the planet). So, I emailed the Alabama customer and said:

upload_2021-8-4_15-53-43.png

I thought it was polite to let him know it was gone and just in case he were to send me an email offer, not to because it's spoken for. I literally teach our employees to do it this way so customers have all of the information that they can and it gets rid of the issues with "well I wanted it and you sold it...blah blah blah."

I get a response back:

upload_2021-8-4_15-56-55.png

People are unbelievable.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-4_15-56-19.png
    upload_2021-8-4_15-56-19.png
    12 KB · Views: 176

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You know they'd never behave with 5% that amount of disrespect face to face.

If they're so popular why is he having to call your ass so far away? Tell him if he can purchase more excursions for 17k you'll buy em from him for 20k all day long.

That's just too reasonable.

SHOdown220

Established Member
The automotive industry is something else, I had a customer yesterday bring his vehicle to me on a tow truck for a no start issue. Turned out the high pressure fuel pump had failed and needed replacement. I checked for one of our extended warranties as always only to find out he purchased one at time of sale and then turned around and canceled it 3 weeks later.

When I let him know what was wrong with his vehicle I mentioned “unfortunately it appears you cancelled your extended warranty and the repair is $1600”. He said “oh I cancelled it because American auto shield offered me a better deal, here is my contract number, I know you guys accept them because they paid for my repair here earlier this year.”

now normally I don’t accept American auto shield or car shield because they are by far the worst extended warranty in the nation that I’ve dealt with, however seeing as one of my other advisors accepted it previously I was kinda obligated to.

I spent 2 hours talking to them on the phone arguing over pricing and whatnot and then called the customer to tell him although his warranty is covering the repair his cost is still $800. The different between what they will pay and what the repair cost.

He started yelling at me about the cost and I politely informed him he cancelled one of the best warranties in the nation that would have covered the entire repair minus a $50 deductible to buy a warranty because “it was a better deal”.

sometimes, you get what you pay for

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Sometimes I wish I would have just kept every used car I've ever moved on from in a warehouse just to sell them right now. $25k for a 2005 Excursion?! My god. I unloaded one very similar to the one in the OP about 3 years ago and let it go for $16,500.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The automotive industry is something else, I had a customer yesterday bring his vehicle to me on a tow truck for a no start issue. Turned out the high pressure fuel pump had failed and needed replacement. I checked for one of our extended warranties as always only to find out he purchased one at time of sale and then turned around and canceled it 3 weeks later.

When I let him know what was wrong with his vehicle I mentioned “unfortunately it appears you cancelled your extended warranty and the repair is $1600”. He said “oh I cancelled it because American auto shield offered me a better deal, here is my contract number, I know you guys accept them because they paid for my repair here earlier this year.”

now normally I don’t accept American auto shield or car shield because they are by far the worst extended warranty in the nation that I’ve dealt with, however seeing as one of my other advisors accepted it previously I was kinda obligated to.

I spent 2 hours talking to them on the phone arguing over pricing and whatnot and then called the customer to tell him although his warranty is covering the repair his cost is still $800. The different between what they will pay and what the repair cost.

He started yelling at me about the cost and I politely informed him he cancelled one of the best warranties in the nation that would have covered the entire repair minus a $50 deductible to buy a warranty because “it was a better deal”.

sometimes, you get what you pay for

$1600 for a HPFP install? Is the pump lined with unabtanium?

Adower

Established Member
AWWWW...looks like he got sad cause he didn't get what he wanted...lol

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Lol, the older I get the more I hate people. He is more than welcome to buy it at the "reasonable" dealer selling them for $17k. Hell he wasn't even making you an offer, he was giving you a consultation on your pricing strategy.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I get it all the time it seems. If I put a price on something FB market place or Craigslist that means that is the price. If you ask for less you won't get it. Now we paid about 100 for this desk...and it's mint....and I get this.....it happens.
Desk.PNG

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I get it all the time it seems. If I put a price on something FB market place or Craigslist that means that is the price. If you ask for less you won't get it. Now we paid about 100 for this desk...and it's mint....and I get this.....it happens.
View attachment 1715135

When i sell online I expect to haggle a bit which i factor into the price but that chick honestly thinks you’re gonna knock off 60%. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread