O/r prochamber Headach?

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
After reading through the forums some people say they had fitmit issues with the chamber installation. So I am wondering, How hard would it be to swap out my stock mid and replace it with the prochambers. Is it worth saving the extra 200 for installation or is it not worth the headach. Tools I have on hand are ordinary garage tools (air guns, 1 foot high ramps with Jack stands) What do you guys think? I will be installing it or getting it installed regardless this friday. Oh yeah, my catback is Flowmaster if that helps.

painintheass

Established Member
You won't have a problem, I did mine myself. I don't even have an air gun. Just expect the stock mid-pipe to be heavier than the prochamber. Also you might want some of that high temperature copper gasket stuff to put around the edges to have a better seal. Also, the passenger side is a pain in the ass and you will need an extention and wobble. Make sure you also reuse the gasket from the passenger side. Another note, you might want to have everything on the prochamber connected but not tight and have a hydraulic jack holding the prochamber up. Tighten the header pipes first and work your way down. It's also been said to just connect the header pipes first and then the rest. Also, I hope you have the mil eliminators. Shoot another post if you have any questions, I hope I've helped.

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
Sweet Thanks for the info. Yeah I have a few questions. Why do I need to use the gasket from the passanger side but not the driver side? I gota get mil Eliminators still. I will just get a check engine light untill I do so right?

painintheass

Established Member
Correct, you will need the mil eliminators and yes you will get a check engine light until you do so. Or you can have the rear O2 sensors turned off by a tuner. Well I do not remember a gasket on the driver side, just the weird metal one on the passenger side. Also, you may not have to do this, but keep it as an option. I could not tighten the driver side pipe to header tightly enough. So, I had to drill new holes and put in new bolts, screws and washers.

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
I just ordered Mil Eliminators. Im actually going to have it installed by Apex Motors just a few miles away from me. They are going to charge me $99/hour and they said it should only take 1 hour. I figure its worth the money so im going to set up an appointment with them. Thanks for everything tho even tho your a PainintheAss. Haha

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
So I took the car in today to get the prochamber installed, It sounded BAD ASS....Until one of my bolts came loose on the driver side flange between the manifolds and the chamber. Its up in the air right now, I should of did it myself....$100 to have someone else take the headache off my shoulders and still end up doing some myself.

What do you guys think? Double up on all the bolts?

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
How much louder did the o/r prochamber louden it up. My mac just isnt loud enough for me and Im considering the pc

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
Just Fixed it!! I put 2 bolts on each side of the exhaust manifold/mid pipe connections. Took it around the block and It sounds nicer then when leaving the shop. I think they ***ed up. Trial and error with shops. Time to try Apex when I get the next set of mods.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
My buddy did the install. It was pretty straight forward. Probably easier than most mid pipe installs because the prochamber is 3 pieces.

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
painintheass said:
It's loud huh? Hee, Hee! Did you feel a loss in low end power?

Wow this sucks, I think I just lost like 25-30 lbs of torq. It just doesn't have the balls like it did with the stock H. I just got done filming thought so once I find a friend with a tv turner I will upload the vid from my Cam Corder.

What causes this loss of low end torq? No cats? Anyone with mac prochamber catted version want to trade?

- Aj -

Established Member
Less backpressure, probably lost some boost. Get a pulley and tune and you should be set.

painintheass

Established Member
I think your c/b might also have an affect. The reason I say this is because I had the o/r prochamber and the Mac 2.5 ss. I saw a significant loss in low end power. So, I ended up ditching the Mac c/b for the Fr500 and felt the previous power return. Totally weird if you ask me, I reallly do not think the catted prochamber will do anything but make the exhaut note quieter and emissions legal. But, I could be wrong. I also tried to order the piping for the catted pro chamber from mac. But it was back orderd and I think they want $150 for them if I remember correctly.

Hypr2003SVT

Established Member
Yeah the guy at the shop was saying that my exhaust is probably restricting about 20 hp. He said that since I have the stock manifolds my exhaust was restricting the airflow. Manifolds were stricting it, then the pro chamber with no restriction, then the flow masters restricting it again... Does pro chamber give the same torq as H pipe?

Another thing, AJ you said that since I have less back pressure I have less low end torq. Now if I change my flow masters out isn't that going to release MORE back pressure, hence loosing more low end?

painintheass

Established Member
I've heard the pro chamber gives about 2-5 HP/TQ extra than an H-pipe, not much. It's more of piece that changes the exhaust note. I could be wrong altogether. The real only reason I had gone with pro chamber is my past experience with them. I've ran a BBK catless H-pipe and a Bassani Catted x-pipe. To me they provided the same HP/TQ feel (no real significant change), just a different exhaust note. I do believe you need a different C/B for the time being to solve your loss. Until you get some more upgrades. I've kept my Mac C/B because of the abnoxious noise it provides. I will not install it untill I upgrade to some pullies or bigger S/C to make up the loss and also I still have a warranty. So the FR500 C/B will stay awhile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread