NWS Pics that make you :lol: every time you see them NWS

Saleen498

Established Member
If the 2024 Mustang had the same performance, technology, safety, fit/finish, etc as a 1964...it'd be cheaper. Your examples are comparing apples to oranges because so many things have changed over the last 60 years.

It's not worth debating, obviously you disagree and no matter how many facts I can present, you won't change your mind. There's a reason you're driving a 20 year old sportscar.
My daily is an s550, that I bought with 3k miles for 33% off MSRP
This is my point though, the mustang was supposed to be affordable, not have all the bells and whistles.
As @DSG2003Mach1 said, the real issue is lack of wage growth, unfortunately the other side of the coin also matters. We will use his example of the camry vs inflation going back to 1990. The camry price actually rose slower than inflation 77% to 124% whereas the best selling ford rose 231% in the same time. Overall msrp vs average living wage is a totally different comparison where all car prices vastly outpaced incomes. Value for the dollar will always be compared as buying power vs quality. So going back yo my original statement we can loosely translate the apples to oranges argument to "is a better suspension, extra airbags and lane assist worth a 2nd car?" Eventually the innovation excludes the price point of the original buyers market.

Again, my comparison was relitive price. The 04 cobra was much more innovative than the 64 secretary's car but held the same salary to cost ratio. There were lightyears more tech from 64 to 04 and four times as long while still hitting the same price point vs 10 years to the 14 gt500 with less of a tech bump and a 25% increase in the ratio.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
IMG_9223.jpeg
IMG_9222.jpeg
IMG_9221.jpeg

kaz109

Established Member
Looked on Ford's website. The dark horse starts at 62k and change. I guess it needs 20k in options.

Ford really is missing the original intent of the mustang. An affordable, fun car. It was originally intended to be a families second car. Back in '64, you could pick one up for $2200-2400. That's $22,000 in today's money. What's a base mustang cost now?
You are the one missing the point, you are comparing a base mustang to this….

For still offers an affordable, fun , V8 , Manual for an affordable ( all things considered) price. You want an upper trim level mustang for a bare bones V6 prices and that’s not realistic.

Yes everything is over priced in general I agree with you there but stop with the back in 1964 shit lol.

A base GT starts at 42k which is very affordable

blownstang01

Established Member
The last mustang that I personally believe was worth the MSRP was the 03/04 cobras (and the 03/04 saleen cobras because they actually retailed for less than a s281sc) and possibly the s550 gt350 due to resale values. Cheap speed died with the fox body.
The only car I ever paid MSRP for was my '17 GT350. Owned it for 7 years, several track days @ the Glen, and a trip to the dragon. Put only 11K miles on it and sold it for 56K to a Ford dealer. Cost me 4K and a set of tires for 7 years of smiles.

Users who are viewing this thread