Noticed GT 350 being sold after short ownership

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Can sellers please post reasons for selling a car they have waited so long for, and wanted so bad.

Some have waited longer than owned it.

I thought the "holding" period would be longer on such a cool car.

The loss is not an issue?

Thanks
Steve

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got rid of mine in a week because it just didn't have the torque that I was accustomed to.

Zemedici

Established Member
I believe its just not what people expected.

Example : The 13/14 GT500s were a tire shredding, 662 horsepower, 5.8liter Blown V8. They usually just 'order the new shelby' and trade in their old one.

Well, the new one doesnt make 500wtq, and is borderline anemic on the street in its NA form. The car cant be driven how it was designed to do on surface roads, so its just not what most people are looking for.

I have probably had 10 of my GT500 customers move over to Hellcats, just due to the fact its what people want.

Nobody is cross shopping a Mustang and a Euro Track car (M3, etc).

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think this happens more with cars that retain their value really well.

You can buy a car you enjoy, and then a few months/year later unload it for something different and be out of pocket only the taxes.

These things are still selling near MSRP on the used market and that makes it way easier to part with.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
MOST PEOPLE aren't cross shopping a Mustang and a Euro Track car (M3, etc).
FTFY.
I cross-shopped the M3, current and E90, and considered 996TTs also. I have owned 10+ BMWs and have a BMW 3-series race car. The GT350R is the best M car on the road right now, and that's why I have one.

I am not a traditional Mustang buyer (I did drive a '13 GT500 and it made me laugh like a little kid, but it's not what I want to own). Interestingly, the group of long-time BMW junkies I hang out with at the track collectively now owns a couple of Mustangs and 3 Focus RSs (and I have a Fiesta ST, too). Given that BMW was always the best place to go for cars that do lots of things well, I think this is a big credit to Ford.

The GT350 is definitely not the car for the drag race set, but it is FUN when used for its intended purpose.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I believe its just not what people expected.

Example : The 13/14 GT500s were a tire shredding, 662 horsepower, 5.8liter Blown V8. They usually just 'order the new shelby' and trade in their old one.

Well, the new one doesnt make 500wtq, and is borderline anemic on the street in its NA form. The car cant be driven how it was designed to do on surface roads, so its just not what most people are looking for.

I have probably had 10 of my GT500 customers move over to Hellcats, just due to the fact its what people want.

Nobody is cross shopping a Mustang and a Euro Track car (M3, etc).
Exactly why mine is up for sale, I just prefer my '14 GT500 over my 350 only because I am a street driving cruise in to show person, not track racing etc which the GT350 was really meant for. But do not get me wrong the 350 has sweet looks, and gets alot more attention cruising than my GT500..But that power I have now in the GT500 is addicting! Makes the 350 feel like an ecoboost!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
FTFY.
I cross-shopped the M3, current and E90, and considered 996TTs also. I have owned 10+ BMWs and have a BMW 3-series race car. The GT350R is the best M car on the road right now, and that's why I have one.

I am not a traditional Mustang buyer (I did drive a '13 GT500 and it made me laugh like a little kid, but it's not what I want to own). Interestingly, the group of long-time BMW junkies I hang out with at the track collectively now owns a couple of Mustangs and 3 Focus RSs (and I have a Fiesta ST, too). Given that BMW was always the best place to go for cars that do lots of things well, I think this is a big credit to Ford.

The GT350 is definitely not the car for the drag race set, but it is FUN when used for its intended purpose.
I gotta agree...this "mustang" really brought a lot of different track car guys from different backgrounds to it. IMO its an atypical mustang, but i love it just the same. If you're expecting it to act like the gt500 i could definitely see where you'd be disappointed.

I also think its fine on the street, you just hafta leave it in a gear you normally wouldn't...my 16GT would've been hell to leave in 2nd in town and you'd likely been pulled over for how loud it was or raced by everyone with a fart can...but in this car you're just halfway to redline

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I would have to agree on the expectations on the GT350/R as a track car. It's way cool, but for me not enough. Should have been lighter, and had rev match, not the silly line lock. And more aluminum body panels. More power? If it was lighter, maybe not needed.

I track a 2014 Gt500 OEM (bought new) but with Cortex Watts link to stabilize the rear end. In mode 3. Sport suspension on. Factory GY F1s. Fontana speeway Roval, 1:54.5. I'm not a great driver, but I learned the limitations of my particular car.

Now that there are around 6-8 Gt 350s coming out to the track. 2 R versions.........

The non R Gt 350 are around 3 seconds slower than mine on the Fontana Roval track. The R that comes out is .6 seconds faster than me. The other R is slower, but needs practice. I bet next time I can hang with the R though.

I just saw a video on youtube with
the new M2 putting down a better time (.04 seconds) on a Toronto track vs a Gt350 non R. That would make the M2 very impressive. I would get a BMW, but don't want the cost higher of ownership. Especially when I track it and it fails. Clutch on my 500 at 8,500 miles through a rivet out of the bell housing. Ford just put a new clutch, bell housing, bearing, and starter. My cost,$650. That was the deal for the clutch failure.

There was one OEM Hellcat that came out. He put down a respectable 2:00.

I'll be looking at the Grand Sport Vette (no over heating issues) or the 2018 ZL1/1LE i guess if I decide the 500 has had enough. But keeping my 500.

I'm astonished that we even have an assortment of cars like this to choose from today!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
For guys who have the money, it is just not that big a deal to dump the car, if it doesn't meet expectations.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Alrhough the 350s are phenomenal cars, most guys out there are muscle heads and not track rats. Most guys will not get to appreciate the rewards that the 350s have to offer and instead would much prefer the brute force of the Trinity cars.

That I gotta have the newest car feeling has wore off and it was time to move onto another toy.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
FTFY.

I sold my E46 M3 to by my GT500. Wife had an E90 sedan too. I miss the balance of the E46, and I suspect a GT350 would be really nice to own.

BladeX10

Established Member
I was 100% on board with the car but after driving one for a bit, It didnt really do anything for me and i assume that it was the same for alot of people who bought these without driving one. Its basically like another S2000 that you have to rev the piss out of to get any power out of it and i can see why alot of Mustang guys wouldnt like it, Especially those that traded their 13/14 GT500s to get the newest Shelby.

I love the car and honestly would love to own one but not for $50k+. Ill revisit the car once it drops to the $30k range. I dont think this car is going to hold its value for long once the new GT500(or equivalent) gets announced. There are already several used ones local to me that are rotting on the lot.

CO Mack

Established Member
Sport bikes made cars feel slow to me. I bought my Fox Mustang because you could add a torque arm, PHB and coil overs and carve corners fast on the cheap, and couldn't afford a Cobra R at the time. When I got the money i tested an SLP Camaro and it wasn't enough better to buy.

I absolutely cross shopped cars like the M3 and FPC Audi RS as now I want a fast car with a back seat (and all the air bags and stuff) for my son.

I sold my GT350 after about a year and a half...to get a GT350R. It's the best car with four seats for the money period!

Last edited:

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I drove mine for 3200 miles and it just didn't do it for me. I should have kept my 14 GT500. I'm now back in a 03 Cobra and couldn't be happier.

barstowpo

Established Member
I have had mine a year and a half and it still does it for me. It has the power of my 428CJ but handles too. I don't mind revving it to redline either.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I loved my Whippled '09.

Untitledo.jpg~original

My '16 gets the same attention.

IMG_3754small.jpg

mike.s

Established Member
i think people that think the new gt500 will make resale on the 350 drop significantly are dreaming. the 07-09 gt500 still command a high price considering their mid 40- low 50 msrp. the boss 302 is the same. despite what people say these are low production vehicles, i see more ferrari and lambo on the street than the hi po mustangs

Colleton

Established Member
I think most of it is people having to have the latest and greatest before moving on to the next thrill. Also, the car doesn't have a lot of torque down low (esp. in comparison to a supercharged GT500), and this makes it hard to really enjoy the car on the street.

This is maybe a little rude to say, but it seems that many GT350 buyers are first time Ford/Mustang buyers who saw Porsche level performance on the cheap and end up being surprised that a Ford Mustang is actually a Ford Mustang.

I owned several of the previous generation GT500 cars, and am pretty well satisfied with the GT350. The handling and feel of this car is just phenomenal. It is far superior to the previous generation in every aspect except raw HP. I've daily driven mine since buying it last October and have loved every moment spent driving the car.

Users who are viewing this thread