Northeast Track Days 2014 Schedule

todcp

Established Member
Anyone else sign up for the June 19th event next week? I believe todcp is going along with myself, and I have 3 friends from work who I convinced to go too...

Weather forecast as of today looks like a great day, not to jinx it... excited to try the new track out!

Yes. I will be at this event. Bringing my new Nitto NT01's and my new track key. Fun.

todcp

Established Member
Nice - interested to hear how you like the Nitto's. And the track key. Which run group are you going with for this event?

I have not used the Nittos yet. Signed up for Advanced but may move back to Intermediate as the Thompson course looks like a lot a sharp turns and I don't want to be in the way of all the spec miata's :).

dmichaels

Established Member
I have not used the Nittos yet. Signed up for Advanced but may move back to Intermediate as the Thompson course looks like a lot a sharp turns and I don't want to be in the way of all the spec miata's :).

Im doing intermediate again too because the track is new to me. Altho it's new to everyone... I figure I can probably jump into advanced if the int group is running slower than what I want. We will see in. 2 days!

todcp

Established Member
It decided to stay in Advanced. We all have to learn this track. The video looked like a pretty tight layout with not a lot of run off room. Lets be careful.

todcp

Established Member
It decided to stay in Advanced. We all have to learn this track. The video looked like a pretty tight layout with not a lot of run off room. Lets be careful.

Well run event by northeasttrackdays.com. The brand new Thompson track is a lot of fun. Lots of sharp turns with a very nice flow to them. One long interesting straightaway with a couple of kinks and a bit of an intimidating lift at the start. Unless my traction control was completely off the car got so loose the electronics would briefly shut the motors power down (so turned it completely off). The straight was long enough for my car to hit 117-121. If you live anywhere in the region you should go have some fun here.
Interestingly I instructed a novice and this events novice group was the best I have ever been on the track with. I wonder if that will be common with the northeasttrackday events. If yes then a great track company to learn with.

dmichaels

Established Member
Well run event by northeasttrackdays.com. The brand new Thompson track is a lot of fun. Lots of sharp turns with a very nice flow to them. One long interesting straightaway with a couple of kinks and a bit of an intimidating lift at the start. Unless my traction control was completely off the car got so loose the electronics would briefly shut the motors power down (so turned it completely off). The straight was long enough for my car to hit 117-121. If you live anywhere in the region you should go have some fun here.
Interestingly I instructed a novice and this events novice group was the best I have ever been on the track with. I wonder if that will be common with the northeasttrackday events. If yes then a great track company to learn with.

Agree with your input. Good technical track that has good flow. I will certainly go back there! Overall great event by NTD as well. I will be driving with the advanced group going forward, but the intermediate group was good with the exception of 2 cars who really should have had instruction in a novice group. Everyone else had good etiquette and were clearly pretty seasoned drivers though!

I'm very curious to see how my car does once I get some real track tires. My sumitomos have been holding up great this season and show minimal wear after about 400 track miles, but I absolutely am driving them at very close to their limit. Glad I was able to get your input Tod on the Nittos... Quite sure those will be the next tires I go with.

Anyways thanks to Dave at NTD for a great even and props to TSMP for setting up a nice course.

todcp

Established Member
The Nitto NT01's were superb. Good communication, excellent grip, predictable when they were sliding. Noisy as heck though. I drove to the track with them and wished I had ear plugs the howling was so bad. I hope Pirelli starts making our sizes in the new Trofeo R's that are being raved about on the new Z28.
The only lap times I clocked were my last run group. Unfortunately, two race prepped BMW's 3 series would not give me a point by in this session. I even pulled into pit lane and returned only to catch them again. I let one of the three Porsche's come by to see what would happen. Sure enough the BMW guys both waved the Porsche by. Hmmmm. Do you think they had an issue with a Mustang being faster?? The two Porsche Carrera S's gave me point by's and I let them by so we actually had a good time in the second session pushing each other. The Porsches were also far from stock. I am pleasantly surprised at just how capable and fun our Mustangs can be on track with some reasonably priced tweaks to the suspension and tires. Dmichaels was quite quick as usual. There was a very quick orange Boss in the Advanced/Instructor group but had a mechanical in the afternoon and was towed off the track. I don't know what happened.

dmichaels

Established Member
I chatted for a few minutes with the orange Boss guy early in the day, but did not see when he got towed away... hopefully nothing serious...

That is interesting about your experience with the BMW's - it actually sounds A LOT like what happened in my group with the Camaro (who was parked next to me in the pits but didn't talk much after the 2nd session where I eventually lapped him after FINALLY getting a point by). Good you got to play with some Porsche guys though! This Mustang really is very capable and quite predictable with some basic suspension upgrades.

Here's a quick video of my quickest lap - ran one in the 1.27's, and a bunch in the 1.28's when I had a clear track. Was pretty happy with that for a first day out there. Can't wait to go back in July!

[video=youtube_share;jPaELgdGevc]http://youtu.be/jPaELgdGevc[/video]

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Nice video! I actually went to TSMP Saturday & Sunday with NASA. There was a newer GT500, 2x 5.0s, and a white Boss there with me which was nice to see. I had a blast at the track, and agree with what you guys were saying above. I am hoping to go back there again this year, as well as the glen - then probably call it a season. I am continually impressed with my car and our platform in general. I got bumped up to the intermediate group after day 1, which has been a lot of fun to be with some more seasoned drivers that are quite a bit quicker.

Dmichaels, are you registered for anything else this season yet?

dmichaels

Established Member
Glad you liked the track! Well done on getting bumped up a group. It's fun getting out with experienced guys... You can learn a lot watching and talking with the other drivers. You were there with NASA over the weekend? Everything go smoothly?

I am registered for Watkins Glen in Aug with Audi club, Thompson in Sept with Audi club and I plan to do a July Thompson day with NTD. Will likely get to another 2 or 3 days in sept/oct too. Turning out to be a good season so far!!

Do you collect data during your driving? If so, check out serious-racing.com to upload data and compare laps against yourself and others.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Glad you liked the track! Well done on getting bumped up a group. It's fun getting out with experienced guys... You can learn a lot watching and talking with the other drivers. You were there with NASA over the weekend? Everything go smoothly?

I am registered for Watkins Glen in Aug with Audi club, Thompson in Sept with Audi club and I plan to do a July Thompson day with NTD. Will likely get to another 2 or 3 days in sept/oct too. Turning out to be a good season so far!!

Do you collect data during your driving? If so, check out serious-racing.com to upload data and compare laps against yourself and others.

We're going to all the same tracks.... but with different groups, haha. It went very well for everyone and mostly incident free weekend for all.

I didn't collect data. That's my next thing I need to look into. I am trying to decide what route I want to go there.

Last edited:

dmichaels

Established Member
We're going to all the same tracks.... but with different groups, haha. It went very well for everyone and mostly incident free weekend for all.

I didn't collect data. That's my next thing I need to look into. I am trying to decide what route I want to go there.

I have been happy with Harry's Lap Timer so far - all the info that is displayed on the overlaid video, plus some other data, is all captured in the background too and exportable to Excel format. It's been pretty helpful to me in identifying where I can corner harder and brake harder for instance. I've gone back and used that data to improve following sessions... has been really good and with the GoPoint OBDII interface it's pretty accurate. Best I could hope for at the fairly low cost of $120 for everything (as long as you have an iphone of course).

Yep, same tracks, different dates. Maybe I'll cross paths with you at some point if you end up doing an event in the fall?

Have you had any issues with the tuned engine? Any other issues with the car? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post... I'm curious now that I have a few miles on my car

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I have been happy with Harry's Lap Timer so far - all the info that is displayed on the overlaid video, plus some other data, is all captured in the background too and exportable to Excel format. It's been pretty helpful to me in identifying where I can corner harder and brake harder for instance. I've gone back and used that data to improve following sessions... has been really good and with the GoPoint OBDII interface it's pretty accurate. Best I could hope for at the fairly low cost of $120 for everything (as long as you have an iphone of course).

Yep, same tracks, different dates. Maybe I'll cross paths with you at some point if you end up doing an event in the fall?

Have you had any issues with the tuned engine? Any other issues with the car? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post... I'm curious now that I have a few miles on my car

I looked at that, but I have an android (which I see he supports) and I wanted to get a gopro or something that I could just leave on my crossbar all the time and not have to unhook my phone which I use a lot walking around during the day between runs.

Engine runs like a top. I have had the tune for about 5k miles and 4 track days. I love the tune, it makes great power and its smooth. It's a great improvement over stock. I just have a Lethal Xpipe, intake and the tune and made 410whp on a local dyno. Stock boss 302LS made 390whp 3 minutes later. It was well worth the money, and I didn't plan on keeping the warranty anyways lol

NTD

Established Member
Thank you to the drivers (todp and dmichaels) that joined us at Thompson Speedway on 6/19!

Tod - I'm glad you like the new tires and the new road course. Thanks again for your help throughout the day.

dmichaels - great driving all day....definitely Advanced group for you next time.

The orange Boss was Matt......he'll be with us in July too. I thought the track was a lot of fun and very technical. Easy to over drive the corners and lose time. I hope we can get more Mustangs out to the next event......such an amazing track car.

Refer-A-Friend:
Introduce family and friends to Northeast Track Days and you both get a credit towards a future event! All they have to do is put your name in the "How did you hear about us?" section when they register.

Upcoming Events:
7/22 Thompson Speedway
8/7 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
9/11 Thompson Speedway

Thanks,
David

dmichaels

Established Member
Thank you to the drivers (todp and dmichaels) that joined us at Thompson Speedway on 6/19!

Tod - I'm glad you like the new tires and the new road course. Thanks again for your help throughout the day.

dmichaels - great driving all day....definitely Advanced group for you next time.

The orange Boss was Matt......he'll be with us in July too. I thought the track was a lot of fun and very technical. Easy to over drive the corners and lose time. I hope we can get more Mustangs out to the next event......such an amazing track car.

Refer-A-Friend:
Introduce family and friends to Northeast Track Days and you both get a credit towards a future event! All they have to do is put your name in the "How did you hear about us?" section when they register.

Upcoming Events:
7/22 Thompson Speedway
8/7 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
9/11 Thompson Speedway

Thanks,
David

Matt sounds right. He told me he saw my call out for mustangs on another forum and came per my reccomedation to try you guys out. Glad he will be back in July.

I'm considering tryin the NHMS event in August. Might be able to squeeze it in inbetween TSMP in July and WG in mid aug... We will see. Need to register with you for July as soon as I get my car back from the shop hopefully this week...

Thx again for a great event at Thompson

NTD

Established Member
Matt sounds right. He told me he saw my call out for mustangs on another forum and came per my reccomedation to try you guys out. Glad he will be back in July.

I'm considering tryin the NHMS event in August. Might be able to squeeze it in inbetween TSMP in July and WG in mid aug... We will see. Need to register with you for July as soon as I get my car back from the shop hopefully this week...

Thx again for a great event at Thompson

dmichaels,

It would be great if you could make it up to NHMS! You have a couple refer-a-friend credits to redeem.....we might be paying you the next time you register lol. Thanks again for spreading the word and helping to make TSMP a great day. Is the car in the shop for maintenance?

--Dave

dmichaels

Established Member
dmichaels,

It would be great if you could make it up to NHMS! You have a couple refer-a-friend credits to redeem.....we might be paying you the next time you register lol. Thanks again for spreading the word and helping to make TSMP a great day. Is the car in the shop for maintenance?

--Dave

I was amazed at how successful I was in pulling several people (including 2 brand new to track day folks) out to Thompson! Getting paid to drive would be great! haha I'm always trying to recruit... you guys ran a great event for a great price. Based on last week, I liked your event better than any NASA or SCDA event I've done in the past, so I'll definitely be signing up for more. Just a matter of how many days off can I take...

Car is having a little maintenance work done. Will be set to go this week though!

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I may join you guys at NHMS. It's only 30 minutes from my house. How much on track time do you guys get per day in this group?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the on track time listed and WOW that sounds good.

Actually.. I may be joining you guys at a few events here after looking at the schedule... my finances are going to be in ruins by winter time this year.

Last edited:

NTD

Established Member
dmichaels - Glad to hear it's just maintenance. If you want to redeem the credits send me an email before you register and I'll send you a coupon code.

apex32 - We'd be happy to have you out at any of our events. The NHMS event will be Long Format, so you'll get 2 1/2 hours on track, classroom sessions, and in-car coaching(at your request). Bring some friends and take advantage of the Refer-A-Friend program.......hopefully ease the hit on finances. Hope to see you at the track!

--Dave

Users who are viewing this thread