Noise Under Car

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
I just bought an 03 Cobra and I have noticed some kind of a tick or knock that is coming from under the car. It seems to be most apparent when you get down and listen behind the driver's side front tire. The noise picks up with engine revs until it is drowned out by the stock exhaust noise. I don't think that this is "The Tick", because it doesn't seem to be coming from the area of either cyclinder head. When I listen from the top of the motor, all that I really seem to hear are the injectors singing. Also, I don't usually hear it on cold starts, only after I have driven it for a while.

Is this noise possibly just a loose exhaust piece, like a heat shield on the cats? Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
It's funny you posted this b/c just this morning I was trying to figure out where a little ticking on mine was coming from. I heard it most when I got down on the ground beside the drivers door. Do you hear yours mostly when it's cold? I was wondering if it was just the exhaust pipes heating up but it seems to consistent to be that.

Sorry I'm no help with an answer but I'm subscriping hoping someone else chimes in. -Ryan

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
4VFreak, have you recently changed your oil and filter? If so, what filter are you using?

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
4VFreak, have you recently changed your oil and filter? If so, what filter are you using?

It is a Fram PH2 filter. Mobile 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I might switch to 5W-20.

This is just really strange, it only makes the noise when it has been run for a while. There is also a slight repetitive chirping that seems to coincide with the tick/knock. Is this consistent with an exhaust leak, HISSMAN? That would be great if that is all that this is. Come to think of it the previous owner did have a cat-back on it and then removed it, maybe he didn't tighten things back up quite enough.

Additionally, it could be a manifold leak because I seem to get a soft popping from the exhaust when I slowly rev the car when sitting in the driveway. Still, I don't know why it doesn't do it when it is cold.

I don't have a warranty anymore, but I will probably take it in anyways. Hopefully it is just the exhaust, or the cam plates needing re-torqued.

Last edited:

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Post #66 on this thread is a TSB that sounds like my problem, except that my tick isn't at all temperature ranges. My tick only occurs at fully operating temps. Also, my car was built on 5/29/2003 according to the Oasis report. This TSB was for cars built before 11/1/02

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21801&page=3&highlight=tick

Does anyone know where I can find a soundclip of the infamous "TICK"?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay, here is what I think it is. Your oil filter! "No way" you might say. Oh yes indeed. This has come up a couple of times here over the past year. In the last case, someone changed their oil and filter (Fram) and the ticking started. They changed the filter to a Mobil 1 if I remember right (stock filter will do fine) and the noise went away. How was this discovered? In the thread the person had the very same noise you are describing. It was heard from UNDER the car vs. under the hood. I suggested a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise and that is what lead to the oil filter being the culprit. No one so far has found WHY a cheap filter like the Fram can cause a ticking noise, but it does. I would bet that if you get under the car with a similar stethoscope that you will also pinpoint it being the Fram filter. If so, change the filter to a better filter (like Mobil 1 or the stock filter) and your tick should disappear.

Here is a thread describing this issue with the filter. I really hope this is what it is. If so, it's such an easy fix. Oh, and please never use Fram filters. They're junk. :)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278483&page=2&highlight=oil+filter+noise

mammothcar1

Established Member
I have a similar sound from the front end and underneath as well. All belts were removed to eliminate the possibilty of an accessory noise.
It was very interesting to read about the oil filter noise. In my case, I have the remote mounted oil filter (Fram HP1), so I'm not sure if I would get a noise from that.

The rattling or tapping noise increases as engine speed increases.
It's not the injectors, nor the 'dreaded tick'
The noise isn't that loud, but just loud enough that I can hear it when going by something that will allow the sound to echo back into the car. (guide rail, wall, etc.)

Is it possible the noise is a bad timing chain guide or timing chain tensioner?

Last edited:

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Okay, here is what I think it is. Your oil filter! "No way" you might say. Oh yes indeed. This has come up a couple of times here over the past year. In the last case, someone changed their oil and filter (Fram) and the ticking started. They changed the filter to a Mobil 1 if I remember right (stock filter will do fine) and the noise went away. How was this discovered? In the thread the person had the very same noise you are describing. It was heard from UNDER the car vs. under the hood. I suggested a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise and that is what lead to the oil filter being the culprit. No one so far has found WHY a cheap filter like the Fram can cause a ticking noise, but it does. I would bet that if you get under the car with a similar stethoscope that you will also pinpoint it being the Fram filter. If so, change the filter to a better filter (like Mobil 1 or the stock filter) and your tick should disappear.

Here is a thread describing this issue with the filter. I really hope this is what it is. If so, it's such an easy fix. Oh, and please never use Fram filters. They're junk. :)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278483&page=2&highlight=oil+filter+noise

Excellent, I was hoping it was something like that or an exhaust leak like HISSMAN said. I heard some sound clips of "The Tick" over the weekend and I was certain at that point that my problem was something else. I'll be going to Autozone at lunch and changing the filter and oil tonight to see if that helps. I might also take it to get the exhaust manifolds checked out for any leaks. Thanks for the input.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Please let us know if this was indeed a filter issue. I'm still boggled in my mind that a cheap oil filter can cause a noise issue like this, but it is documented. Strange as it is.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Brought back from the dead thread.

Found this thread because I recently got an oil change. I too got a knock coming from underneath the car. I got Mobile 1 synth but on the receipt it says I got a "pro 2" oil filter. Never heard of this filter but was wondering if this brand also causes the knock?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
What he's saying is we have discovered that cheap oil filters can cause a knocking noise. I'm not sure if it's a silicone check valve that's needed or what...but we've seen it here a couple of times. I believe it has been with Fram filters too. Guys, I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my lawn mower. Why would you want to use a filter that is mass produced so cheap as to interest retailers such as Auto Zone, KMart, etc. I would use the factory Motorcraft (or better...Wix is fantastic) and be done with it.

Juruense

Banned
Fram filters are crap do not use them. My preference is Motorcraft but I am sure the Mobil 1 filters are good also.

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
Fram filters suck. They are known to come apart internally.

Mobil 1
Motorcraft
Wix
The above filters are the ones I use and recommend.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
the tick in my car was only noticible at operating temp also. infact, i heard it from the passanger side, but it turned out to be the driver side. they just finished my car yesterday with the new heads. the TSB is extended to the 04 models for the 05 heads for anyone who thinks they only cover the old car. btw, i was running a wix filter, so i know it was not the filter.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Fram is definitely crap. No one should be running them on these cars. If that doesn't turn out to be the source of your noise, I suspect and exhaust leak or the dreaded tick. The tick is normally heard from the location you mentioned with the car warmed up. It's heard there because the source is a damaged exhaust valve guide. The noise then often travels through the exaust and resonates under the car, heard prominently next to the wheelwells.

Juruense

Banned
The biggest problem with cheap filters is the lack of a drainback valve. Not having one allows the oil to drain down and every time the car is cold started it is experiencing much more wear and tear due to lack of oil in the proper places.

Users who are viewing this thread