• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

No Replacement for Displacement | Is it Time for a 5.7L Tall-Deck Coyote???

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, Dec 17, 2018.

1. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

Your numbers are a little off the 5.0 already almost makes 400hp in a truck. So saying a 5.8 would not make 400hp is just lost sight of technology. A 5.8 could easily make 470hp in a truck and its tq 470 at 3500rpm. With the proper stroke and cams would be easy todo with out pushing it.

Smooth likes this.
  2. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

Not to mention 12:1 compression with a massive stroke.

me32 likes this.
  3. Voltwings

Voltwings Well-Known Member Established Member

My comment wasn't HP or Tq, my comment was about the HP AND TQ. Sure, I have no doubt it could easily do one or the other, I just have a hard time seeing it doing both.

The 6.2 in the Silverado is DI and 11.5 compression ratio. Not to sound like a Chevy nut swinger, but I do feel like it will be quite the uphill battle to beat a larger displacement engine in both HP and TQ *Assuming we stay with the initial argument of this 5.8 besting or matching the 3.5 EB.

4. SID297

The long stroke of the tall-deck modular has always been a major benefit to TQ production. The VVT in the Coyote heads have proven to be a huge advantage over the pushrod GM offerings.

me32 likes this.
  5. Voltwings

Correct, and maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic, but l imagine it will also come down to what sort of RPM that long stroke will support as far as reaching the HP figure is concerned. Doing the math though, the corresponding increase in displacement means you could lose 700 rpms and match the current 5.0's peak HP figure (all else equal of course) so maybe it is doable.

me32 likes this.
  6. 200MPHCOBRA

200MPHCOBRA Liberty Tree Needs Water Established Member

Also consider the transmission. I have an 3.5 eco f150, but the six speed. I can stall it to about 2500 before it spins. With lock up, they can run a looser converter. The eco will make more torque down low, but under load you wont be there anyway. The lower spread between 10 gears will also even out that advantage. Think about the extra lever arm of the stroke increase and the higher port velocity, all bringing down the max torque rpm.
    And it will sound so much better, you literally can't make an eco sound good, I've tried. Power to be had with exhaust changes, but lord the sound blows, but I do like the tip in turbo whistle. Do I think they will do it? Hell no, I think Ford has sold its soul to left wing global warming and peak oil bullshit, and they ain't coming back. We will get batteries and electric assist and mini bike displacement. Shit we will all be driving trains soon if the trends don't change.

Pete Rallis likes this.
  7. 4sdvenom

4sdvenom Never Enough! Established Member

I just want a Coyote based 5.7/5.8 twin turbo Mustang. That’s all

CompOrangeCobra likes this.
  8. Voltwings

Have you seen the rumors on what the 2020 F-150 Hybrid might be packing? The guess is that it will be shockingly similar to the new lincoln putting out give or take 450 hp / 600 tq. Give me the little boost in mpg around town from the electric motor and those power figures and I could be on board...

9. CompOrangeCobra

CompOrangeCobra Member Established Member

I already love what Ford has done with the 5.0, with performance that equals and in most cases surpasses engines with larger displacements I feel that if Ford were to increase the displacement of the already potent 5.0 it would easily decimate and dominate over ALL other equally displaced engines...sign me up!!!

me32 likes this.
  10. 200MPHCOBRA

I did a quick look at the speculation, and I have my doubts. I have to tow a fair amount for my business, and I'm about to get a 28 foot enclosed trailer for my race car. I wonder how long that battery is going to hold up on a 70 mile 6000 lb tow? Cost and complexity are also a question I have. How long will the batteries last? I'm old school, having turbos is pushing it for me, at least in a gas truck. Oh, and while the eco pulls what I need it too like a champ, it will drink some fuel doing it. The diesel at this time is overkill for me. I just think the original topic would be the best solution for me, and most others that use the truck as a truck.

me32 likes this.
  11. SID297

I would not tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with an F-150. The new ones lost so much weight that I'm not really comfortable with that much sail area in windy conditions.

I believe a Godzilla Super Duty might be the best bet for you.

me32 and Smooth like this.
  12. tbone5528

tbone5528 New Member

Ya cant do anything about what ford does so i think i will just burn some more rubber with what i have and see what happens.

13. 200MPHCOBRA

Your're right, but I'm not ready to make that jump yet. I've upgraded the suspension and its 4WD too, as I have to get in sloppy areas at times for my business. My partner has the oil burner, might just use his for the time being.

me32 likes this.