Nitto's In the Rain

Are nitto 555R's that bad in the rain?

• Yes, park the car when it rains.

Votes: 87 28.9%
  • Not really, they are drivable.

Votes: 159 52.8%
  • Same as the stock tires, really nice in the rain.

Votes: 55 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vox

Master of Oversteer
Established Member
I have had 555Rs on the back of 5 cars since 1999. Never 1 problem with thousands and thousands of miles logged. Best street tire for the back of a performance car thats truly driven on the street.

Been all over the country with them in the rain.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Sometimes, a road's construction will cause a DR equipped vehicle to hydroplane. I was doing 35 mph, in a light rain, on a slight slight curve in the road and lost control, resulting in front quarter panel damage to my old yellow GT. I was running BFG DR at the time.

I went back down that road when it was dry, in a different car, and felt the car pull to left due to a dip in the pavement right at the point where the road starts to curve. This is one reason why there are mixed reviews with DR's driven in the rain.

csumt76

Established Member
The nittos are cake in the rain, just be cautious. If you are looking for fun in the rain, get BFG DR's on the back and skinnies on the front..........

BlackGT

SVT God
Established Member
i wrecked my car with nittos on my car driving in the rain i wasnt speeding or anything i was going the posted limit of 35mph going around a slight bend in the road caught a water spot and the ass end shot around, nothing i could do....

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
My nitto's are fine in the rain....it's when they get worn down that you have to be cautious...

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
rain and my nittos do not mix. freaks me out. i go 30 on freeway. think i saw ten speed pass me.
i take the trolley on rainy days.

Show94Cobra

94 Rio Cobra
Established Member
my nitto 555's are terrible in the rain. But they are also a little beat up. You know how that foot reacts with the accelerator. It's great for track and road, NOT RAIN!!!

rmgtc01

Established Member
toofast4u said:
I have driven 555R 315/17s on my 03 for a year and a half and have never had any problems with them in the rain or shine. And in South Florida we have a lot of rain. Drive smart and you shouldn't have any problems. I have around 600 rwhp and daily drive my car btw.

What he said!

The Nitto 555R DR's are fine, just don't go into boost, WOT or any of that.

BFG DR's are the dangerous tires in the rain over 50 MPH. You will hydroplane with these as my friend witness it first hand without even getting into boost.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
maybe this is why i slide. :rockon:
babyrear.jpg

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
CobraZb said:
Ok everyone with nitto 555R's let me know what you guys think of the tires in the rain and as a daily driver. I am not an idiot and I am carefull in the rain I am just worried about if there not so great in the rain. Let me know what you all think.
Those are the DR's, right? A buddy of mine ran those in the rain on his '03 Cobra, said they were fine if he was careful. Then one day he was on the freeway, and it was raining steadily (not hard, just steadily) ... at 50 mph it hydroplaned and went sideways. He recovered, and 10 seconds later it did it again, at an even slower speed.

Needless to say he sings a different tune now. The DR's are not rain tires and it's just a matter of time until you hit a spot in the road that will exploit that weakness in the extreme, and then it'll be luck whether or not you scratch the car.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
i think it also has a lot to do with the road itself. some roads are just slicker.
here in san diego the 163 is freakin scary while the 52 is a little more stable in the rain.

just ordered a new pair for the rear. they somehow got a little bald in 5 months.

blownchic

I have the nitto 555r 315/35/zr17s in the rear and the stock f1s in the front... on my first cobra, never had a problem in the rain... have the same set up on my 04, had the drag radials on the car for 6 months, drove through the rain never had a problem, then one day on my way to school I was driving on the interstate on a route that I often travel rain or shine in the fast lane doing 61mph with a car in front of me and behind me...it was raining reallllllly hard and the roads were soaked... I felt the front of the car start to twist and then the rear swirved out and I hit the median wires and went across the hwy into on coming traffic (13k worth of damage)... Throughout the two months that I was without my car I'd travel the same route and see the exact same spot where I wrecked getting repaired again and again and again (which made me feel better in a sense)... a tech at my ford dealer said that the dept of transportation is doing research on that spot because apparently the water isn't draining off the hwy... well I finally got the car back... still have the drag radials on and today I was traveling in the fast lane on a different interstate and I ran into rain for the first time since getting the car back... I was a little weary because of my horrible experience so I started to slow down, I felt the rear swirve a bit and my heart dropped, I slowed down more and went to the middle lane doing about 50mph, I was still swirving, so I moved over to the slow lane doing 35mph and the car still felt as though it wanted to run off the hwy so I held the steering wheel tight and prayed I wouldn't loose control... got off imediatley at the next exit the roads were still wet but the car drove fine... sooooooooo I don't know what's going on...

shocker 420

Established Member
MelanaB said:
I have the nitto 555r 315/35/zr17s in the rear and the stock f1s in the front... on my first cobra, never had a problem in the rain... have the same set up on my 04, had the drag radials on the car for 6 months, drove through the rain never had a problem, then one day on my way to school I was driving on the interstate on a route that I often travel rain or shine in the fast lane doing 61mph with a car in front of me and behind me...it was raining reallllllly hard and the roads were soaked... I felt the front of the car start to twist and then the rear swirved out and I hit the median wires and went across the hwy into on coming traffic (13k worth of damage)... Throughout the two months that I was without my car I'd travel the same route and see the exact same spot where I wrecked getting repaired again and again and again (which made me feel better in a sense)... a tech at my ford dealer said that the dept of transportation is doing research on that spot because apparently the water isn't draining off the hwy... well I finally got the car back... still have the drag radials on and today I was traveling in the fast lane on a different interstate and I ran into rain for the first time since getting the car back... I was a little weary because of my horrible experience so I started to slow down, I felt the rear swirve a bit and my heart dropped, I slowed down more and went to the middle lane doing about 50mph, I was still swirving, so I moved over to the slow lane doing 35mph and the car still felt as though it wanted to run off the hwy so I held the steering wheel tight and prayed I wouldn't loose control... got off imediatley at the next exit the roads were still wet but the car drove fine... sooooooooo I don't know what's going on...

That would scare me to death.

MineralGT

SoCal Stangs Member
Established Member
I'm sitting at work right now and it's supposed to start raining later today...I have the Nitto DR's in the back and 555's in the front. I've never really driven my car ion the rain since I got the Nitto's so we'll see...I'm just gonna keep it under 70 mph and leave a nice gap between me and the car in front.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I've seen far too many cases of wipeouts due to hydroplaning on drag radials (or bald street tires), and sadly one of them was responsible for some fatalities :(

common sense dictates that when caught in the rain we should accelerate cautiously and don't cruise at high speeds because it is just an accident waiting to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread