Nitto's In the Rain

Are nitto 555R's that bad in the rain?

• Yes, park the car when it rains.

Votes: 87 28.9%
  • Not really, they are drivable.

Votes: 159 52.8%
  • Same as the stock tires, really nice in the rain.

Votes: 55 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Ok everyone with nitto 555R's let me know what you guys think of the tires in the rain and as a daily driver. I am not an idiot and I am carefull in the rain I am just worried about if there not so great in the rain. Let me know what you all think.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
DO NOT DRIVE WITH THEM IN THE RAIN! YOU WILL LOSE CONTROL OR HYDROPLANE MORE THAN LIKELY AT SOME POINT!
DONT GET THEM IF YOUR GOING TO DRIVE IN THE RAIN ***FREQUENTLY***
Mike

disclaimer-no its not a given but it is very possible/please no flames/

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 01cobrakid
DO NOT DRIVE WITH THEM IN THE RAIN! YOU WILL LOSE CONTROL OR HYDROPLANE MORE THAN LIKELY AT SOME POINT!

Mike

disclaimer-no its not a given but it is very possible/please no flames/

I have driven 555R 315/17s on my 03 for a year and a half and have never had any problems with them in the rain or shine. And in South Florida we have a lot of rain. Drive smart and you shouldn't have any problems. I have around 600 rwhp and daily drive my car btw.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Ok I just talked to a tire guy at discount tire and he said they suck in the rain.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraZb
Ok I just talked to a tire guy at discount tire and he said they suck in the rain.

These tires are no worse in the rain then any other high performance tire I have driven including the stock F1s. Who at discount did you ask and have they actually driven them in the rain or are they automatically saying not to because they are refered to as a "drag radial" by Nitto marketing? Same as when you call up a shop and say you want the 315 mounted on the stock rim and they tell you they won' fit without ever seeing that the tire is way smaller then a regular 315 and fits fine.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
IM getting a pit crew, and when it rains we will swap tires

T.Bone

Established Member
I have been driving on my Nittos 555R's for about 4 months and have had no problems in the rain. Just like TOOFAST-4U posted, you have to adjust your driving when it is raining which you have to do currently on F1's. Drive smart and you'll be just fine.

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
I drove for 2 hours in a heavy downpour with my Nitto 555R 315 drags on back and my 555r2 275 on the front. I was actually surprised they were decent in the rain.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Yeah toofast you have a point. So you would honestly say that they are about the same as the stock tire. I mean I have no problem with the stock tires. I am also very touchy with the car as it is now not to mention in the rain.

sam

Established Member
it's not that there bad in the rain, but the purpose to the drags are to have a softer rubber that you can heat up at the track. lets say you go to the drags once a month. it wont take but about 3 times at the track including time trials and elimations till you really running on low tread depth. the you would be in trouble in the rain with any tire with no tread then.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
yeah that makes sence also. Man this is tough. I have not gone to the track yet but I really want to. 01 cobra kid do you have nitto's.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
We'll I am leaning towards the nittos now on the back tires, do you guys think it will be ok just to have the nitto's on the back with the stock tires on the front.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
We'll I am leaning towards the nittos now on the back tires, do you guys think it will be ok just to have the nitto's on the back with the stock tires on the front.

Sure why not. I ran that way until my fronts went bald and then went to 555RII in the front with 555R in the rear. If Nitto ever releases the 555RII in 315/17 I will run them in the back.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Do any of you guys have pictures of the nittos on the car. How do they look are they really fat looking?

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Sure why not. I ran that way until my fronts went bald and then went to 555RII in the front with 555R in the rear. If Nitto ever releases the 555RII in 315/17 I will run them in the back.

So would I............ Those tires kick ass!!!!!!!!!!

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I have driven 555R 315/17s on my 03 for a year and a half and have never had any problems with them in the rain or shine. And in South Florida we have a lot of rain. Drive smart and you shouldn't have any problems. I have around 600 rwhp and daily drive my car btw.

Amen on living in a Rainy State with Nitto 555R Drag Radials. As I have never had a traction problem in the rain, for over the past 2 years with drving the Nitto 555R Drag Radials on the street. Keep in mind that you are dealing with a very soft compound tire and in the rain, you should pay particular attention to safety, as well as not trying to turn corners quickly, or stop to quick. Other than that, you should not have any problems driving in the rain.

:beer:

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member

That is the setup that I am running, I put the 315's on my stock rims and have the F1's up front.

One thing that is really nice is that you will not have to remeber to turn the traction control off everytime on the street, the nitto's hook soooo much better on the street than the F1's do. I am sure this isn't the same for the 500-600 rwhp guys out there...

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
T-bone does it look cheezy with the 2 different wheels brands on the car? and how is the driving in the rain?

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
yeah that makes sence also. Man this is tough. I have not gone to the track yet but I really want to. 01 cobra kid do you have nitto's.

I was in my buddies 01 cobra(with nitto 555s) last night riding shotgun and it was raining out, not to heavy but not a sprinkle. We were doing just about 55mph heading northbound on I-75 when we suddenly hydroplaned accross 3 lanes, spinning what felt like about 1 1/2 times and into the median/ditch. WE ARE SOOOO LUCKY WE DIDNT GET BROADSIDED!

and yes i have nittos but i never drive my car in the rain unless i get caught in it unexpectedly*spelling*

and yes i also relize this could have happened with any tire but this is just my little nitto 555 experience.

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
this particular cobra has 450rwhp

Damage-bent exhaust where it goes around the gas tank- krinkled rear bumper-two destroyed wheels- a really messed up front bumper from the tow truck driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread