Nitto's In the Rain

Are nitto 555R's that bad in the rain?

• Yes, park the car when it rains.

Votes: 87 28.9%
  • Not really, they are drivable.

Votes: 159 52.8%
  • Same as the stock tires, really nice in the rain.

Votes: 55 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've read most of the responses so far, now my 2 cents.
I don't have the RWHP most of you have but, I started using Nitto DRs for road course and drag strip before they came out with the R2s. I still use them for street use. I have nor ever had any problems in the rain, they grip better than any street tire on the track in the rain.

What they don't like is what any wide performance tire doesn't like. Standing water.
Standing water will make any tire hydroplane, and really when they wear halfway down.
Bottom line is be careful and you will have no problems.

TRMN8RX

Terminatin'
Established Member
I was wondering about drag radials in the rain also....I'm very leary of them only for the fact I totaled my 91 GT with regular tires going 30 mph around a curve in the rain, back end went sideways and I spun, slid across the center line and took out a riced out Honda head on. I wiped out WITH tread so I'm lookin for some reassurance with the d/r's.

rmgtc01

Established Member
For home to work and back driving just have a set of street tires on them, GSD3's are superb. Then on the weekends or days off if it is nice out, put on your set of DR's.
If you have the extra money for a spare set of rims, tires, and tools then that just seems like common sense. Why would you take that chance, when you know it is possible to wipe out on a DR due to the tread design?

TRMN8RX

Terminatin'
Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
For home to work and back driving just have a set of street tires on them, GSD3's are superb. Then on the weekends or days off if it is nice out, put on your set of DR's.
If you have the extra money for a spare set of rims, tires, and tools then that just seems like common sense. Why would you take that chance, when you know it is possible to wipe out on a DR due to the tread design?

The only reason I even looked into drag radials is for the fact I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, therefore not even enough for a second set of rims. Nitto drag radials in a 315-35-17 are FAR LESS expensive than street tires for a 10.5" back rim. If anybody knows of a street tire for around $200 each that is made in the size above, please let me know...I've not had too much luck finding anything that can be ordered locally, or even online.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
speedfreek91GT said:
The only reason I even looked into drag radials is for the fact I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, therefore not even enough for a second set of rims. Nitto drag radials in a 315-35-17 are FAR LESS expensive than street tires for a 10.5" back rim. If anybody knows of a street tire for around $200 each that is made in the size above, please let me know...I've not had too much luck finding anything that can be ordered locally, or even online.

Best price I've found -----http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/refineTiresByBrand.do?sortOrder=Model&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance&mf=Nitto&so=Maximum+Performance&x=42&y=14

rmgtc01

Established Member
speedfreek91GT said:

Goodyear had a rebate and so did Discount Tires a little bit ago. You could get a $205 cobra size tire for $170. I would think the 315 could have gone for about $200 there. Just wait for the disounts to come out.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Mine's a daily driver, all weather conditions. I have put 22,000 miles on the car running Nitto 315's. They are just fine; don't drive like a 'tard and you'll be ok. The only time it got kind of squirley was when I was driving around with them at less than 2/32nds tread depth, the rear end would wiggle around in downpours, keeping it at 40-45mph keeps it under control though.

mrose75

Established Member
toofast4u said:
These tires are no worse in the rain then any other high performance tire I have driven including the stock F1s.

I was thinking the same thing about the F1's. Not that great in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread