Nitrous on a 2007 Shelby?

Cameron57

Established Member
Anybody put a bottle on one of these yet? I've got a nx kit just wanting some input from some others that have done it... My mods are jlt carbon cai, 2.6 upper,3 inch cat back magna flow, and sct x3. She puts down 550rwhp before it gets heat soaked. I'm fixing to get a h/e and radiator... Any tips on the nitrous kit are appreciated.

-Cameron

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I would in a second. Ported blower, gears, some lightweight wheels, slicks, beefed up rearend, lower control arms, ......

+ nitrous

=

Damn good chance at 9's in the quarter mile. I'd start with a 100 shot with the NANO system on it too.

Cameron57

Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I think evolution did it with a 75 shot and some race gas... I am guessing mist don't want to spray there shelbies?!?

-Cameron

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I think evolution did it with a 75 shot and some race gas... I am guessing mist don't want to spray there shelbies?!?

-Cameron

Honestly I'm not sure on Evolution or not but it does sound a little familiar. I wonder if that was the size shot or not?

If you keep it at a small shot it shouldn't really hurt anything at all. I'm pretty much running or going to run a 175 shot (.058" jet) on my car now and I'm still not worrying. Close but not yet.

The Shelby's should easily take well over a 100 shot with zero issues.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
My friend's selling his full zex blackout nitrous kit setup. I'm really wanting to do it instead of the meth, but IDK....I is scared.

Evo used a 75 shot btw.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ari3hZJXs"]Evolution Performance - First 2007 Shelby GT500 In The 9's! - YouTube[/nomedia]

Cameron57

Established Member
Personally I like nitrous If it's done right I was just curious how y'all are setting up your kits. Like drilling straight into the intake elbow?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
The Shelby's should easily take well over a 100 shot with zero issues.

Now is this meaning a stock shelby with no other mods? I'm between nitrous and meth still...I'm looking at a 50 shot of nitrous if anything, and that nano system is also something on my list I'd do with it, but that shits wayy potent...makes a 50 shot like a 150 shot lol.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Now is this meaning a stock shelby with no other mods? I'm between nitrous and meth still...I'm looking at a 50 shot of nitrous if anything, and that nano system is also something on my list I'd do with it, but that shits wayy potent...makes a 50 shot like a 150 shot lol.

I believe the nano system just keeps the bottle pressure constant in place of a bottle warmer.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Yea, so if you're running half a bottle or a full bottle it'll make the same power regardless. Wouldn't that put more strain on the engine though compared to a regular nitrous setup.

You don't want inconsistent power when you spray. Thats what the nano system is used for. Nitrous or any power adder will add more strain to the engine. The more power you make the more you can strain your motor. If you were worried about strain on your motor you should probably not spray nitrous or any meth system on your motor to try to make anymore power.

TexasGamer45

Established Member
Ok, so now what does adding nitrous require with regards to your tune? Or does it even affect tuning? I can't see how you could actually tune for when the engine will be seeing nitrous because then it would seem logical when your NOT on nitrous (which would probably be like 99.5+% of the time) your tune would be off then. And how about in a situation where you're already near max fuel system capacity before nitrous, would this pose a problem?

Sorry Cameron, don't mean to sidetrack your thread but I've been eyeballing nitrous myself and this seemed a good place to ask those questions...

Thanks

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Ok, so now what does adding nitrous require with regards to your tune? Or does it even affect tuning? I can't see how you could actually tune for when the engine will be seeing nitrous because then it would seem logical when your NOT on nitrous (which would probably be like 99.5+% of the time) your tune would be off then. And how about in a situation where you're already near max fuel system capacity before nitrous, would this pose a problem?

Sorry Cameron, don't mean to sidetrack your thread but I've been eyeballing nitrous myself and this seemed a good place to ask those questions...

Thanks

Some people plumb nitrous before the MAF sensor so that it can compensate for more air being pushed though. I also believe sct tuner has different maps for nitrous so the tuner can switch back and forth for it, but I am not a tuner so I am not sure.
As far as fuel goes if you are at close to full compacity you can spray a wet system with a fuel nozzle and that will add more fuel when you spray. They also have separate kits that have a small fuel cell you can fill with C16 race gas and spray race gas with the nitrous to prevent knock.

Blaine

Established Member
Some people plumb nitrous before the MAF sensor so that it can compensate for more air being pushed though. I also believe sct tuner has different maps for nitrous so the tuner can switch back and forth for it, but I am not a tuner so I am not sure.
As far as fuel goes if you are at close to full compacity you can spray a wet system with a fuel nozzle and that will add more fuel when you spray. They also have separate kits that have a small fuel cell you can fill with C16 race gas and spray race gas with the nitrous to prevent knock.

Wet systems add the fuel automatically with a 2nd set of injectors.

Dry system dumps the NOS before the MAF and the CPU adds extra fuel automatically. This type of system is limited over the wet system because of your injectors have to compensate for the extra fuel. Anything beyond a 150 shot you better go with a WET system.

GT500's love NOS due to the cooling effects. Just a small dry 100 shot will make a big difference. You can also go with a NOS cooling system which cools the heat exchanger to prevent heat soak.

Now the timing control is another issue. Tunes can be used to retard the timing. I'm not 100% sure how the GT500 NOS users are doing in this regard. I had to use a timing retard kit with my LS1 which I turned the knob to reduce timing when I used NOS. There are also switch chips out there which you hit a switch for the NOS tune. Not sure if they make them for the GT500's though.:pop: I did a search and could only find the SCT Switch Chips for 1987-2004 Ford car or trucks. Believe it has to do with the newer CPU's the 05+'s use.

Last edited:

Cameron57

Established Member

Dry system dumps the NOS before the MAF and the CPU adds extra fuel automatically. This type of system is limited over the wet system because of your injectors have to compensate for the extra fuel. Anything beyond a 150 shot you better go with a WET system.

GT500's love NOS due to the cooling effects. Just a small dry 100 shot will make a big difference. You can also go with a NOS cooling system which cools the heat exchanger to prevent heat soak.

Now the timing control is another issue. Tunes can be used to retard the timing. I'm not 100% sure how the GT500 NOS users are doing in this regard. I had to use a timing retard kit with my LS1 which I turned the knob to reduce timing when I used NOS. There are also switch chips out there which you hit a switch for the NOS tune. Not sure if they make them for the GT500's though.:pop: I did a search and could only find the SCT Switch Chips for 1987-2004 Ford car or trucks. Believe it has to do with the newer CPU's the 05+'s use.

My thought would be a wet kit and just do half pump gas half c-16 and spray it on the same tune...

F8L SN8K

Established Member

Wow I feel like I just watched the first the fast and the furious!
Yes chips have not been able to be used since 05 due to the new computer. It's all done from hand held tuners in the OBD-II port. Spray bars on heat exchangers and intercoolers are a waste of money.
You can have a couple tunes and just load the NITROUS tune that will pull timing or be tuned for race gas and the same timing. It all depends on your entire combination and intentions for the car. Just remember gotta pay to play and sometimes things can go bad so be prepared.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
A wet nitrous kit gets it fuel delivery from a fuel solenoid with taps into the factory fuel rail or test port.

A dry kit senses the need for fuel from a vacuum accuated valve or direct from a tune with a higher fuel table/map to compensate for the added nitrous.

With only a 50-100 shot the Nano system would be over kill in my eyes.

BigDan

Established Member
So if your on your nitrous tune it would be a bad idea to go WOT without spraying. I guess you could work around that if you are into spraying on the street, only go WOT if you are spraying or else it could go boom.

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
I'm gunna spray mine next year... small dry shot. I wanna get a wot box or whatever u call it, only spray from lik 3000/5500 in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear

Users who are viewing this thread