Nine thread 04 cobra heads

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Some 03/04 heads towards the end of production had 9 threads and all the 05 revisions do and the latter addressed the cooling issues to a degree, still not fantastic!

SlowSVT

Established Member
and the latter addressed the cooling issues to a degree, still not fantastic!

Having the exhaust guides directly exposed to the 1400 degree blast of the exhaust due to lack of a boss cast around the exhaust guide doesn't help much either :nonono: You can bet they glow red with the rest of the valve head at max load :uh oh: Ford traded valve/guide cooling for flow. Never seen this done in any other engine. Having the full length of the guide pressed into aluminum will cool them pretty close to the temperature of the surrounding metal.

CobraExhaustport-1.gif

This is what does "in" you're valve gear at sustained high speed runs :cryying:

GodStang

Established Member
Are these the "revised '05" heads with the "better" cooling?

There were I think 4 upgrades to these heads over the years. Threads were like the second or third upgrade. 2005 Jan. Was the final upgrade.

POPPAJ

Established Member
There were I think 4 upgrades to these heads over the years. Threads were like the second or third upgrade. 2005 Jan. Was the final upgrade.

Thanks all, but did all models(Cobra,Mach1,Marauder) using the 4 valve heads and produced after Jan '05 have the "revised" heads. Or were these aftermarket from FRPP only? How can they be identified?

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The blue paint on them ISN'T an indication that their 05 Revisions like Many think!
I've seen a number of blue with only 4 threads!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks all, but did all models(Cobra,Mach1,Marauder) using the 4 valve heads and produced after Jan '05 have the "revised" heads. Or were these aftermarket from FRPP only? How can they be identified?

You have to look at the casting number on the head...

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Theres no such thing as improved or better cooling on any drivers side cylinder head.
If you dont install a cooling mod, you are just plain silly.

Live Wire

Established Member
What has the ratio been to stock vs modified (pulley'd) engines that developed the tick? Just wondering if the increased power/heat on the engine exacerbates the issue.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Are these the "revised '05" heads with the "better" cooling?

These? I don't see any heads or engineering numbers in your post.:shrug:

Some 03/04 heads towards the end of production had 9 threads and all the 05 revisions do and the latter addressed the cooling issues to a degree, still not fantastic!

I believe units built 11/03 and later had the 9 thread heads but these were not the final impoved cooling, 9 thread heads.

There were ZERO Cobra, Mach1, and Marauder built after 04.

Any of these cars that have the actual improved heads now have had them replaced. When you buy new heads from Ford now, that is what you get. They are a service replacement head.

Only late production 05 Lincoln Aviators were still in production and able to get these when they were built new.

Nine thread original non-improved cooling heads are nearly all going to be 04 vehicles and early 05 Aviators.

POPPAJ

Established Member
Thanks Jimmy! You answered my question. Guess I got mixed up on the production dates for the '04's, forgot that they started production in '03 and ended in '04. Was looking for a cheaper option than $2300 for the revised heads.

My tuner, Lidio, is not a believer in the head cooling mod. He says it's all in the tune. Never had a problem with his many builds.

Last edited:

Live Wire

Established Member
Thanks Jimmy! You answered my question. Guess I got mixed up on the production dates for the '04's, forgot that they started production in '03 and ended in '04. Was looking for a cheaper option than $2300 for the revised heads.

My tuner, Lidio, is not a believer in the head cooling mod. He says it's all in the tune. Never had a problem with his many builds.

POPPAJ, sent you PM regarding Lidio's services. thx

Satyr

Established Member

I have heard mixed reviews on Lidio...but I would have to thoroughly disagree with his opinion. Tuning cannot overcome a mechanical deficiency, such as poor coolant flow.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have heard mixed reviews on Lidio...but I would have to thoroughly disagree with his opinion. Tuning cannot overcome a mechanical deficiency, such as poor coolant flow.

Maybe he is transplanting a 2011 5.0 GT PCM and retarding the timing on individual cylinders known to run hot like Ford did on the Coyote.

Then there is always one of these.. :eek:WOW! I would love one of these!

J&S Vampire

hotcobra03

Established Member
What has the ratio been to stock vs modified (pulley'd) engines that developed the tick? Just wondering if the increased power/heat on the engine exacerbates the issue.

mine is stock and your lucky i drive it

my passengerside head no problems

driverside cyl6 valve dropped at 70k..head replaced by ford 9thread
casting#RF-2C5E-6C064-DB

driverside again cyl#6 valve dropped at 210k had head repaired

driverside again cyl#7 crack thru spark plug threads at 275k..replaced head with ford racing :shrug:casting

no cooling mod

poteet is south of san antiono so yes to its always hot here

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
03 10th here 9 threads. I have factory heads. Production June of 03. I will have to look at my build number though.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Those of us with 4-thread heads got 'screwed' :dw:

Last edited:

Ukfox89

Established Member
looking at your sig. and does your cobra have 2,750,000 miles? Holy piss if it does. I have the cooling mod on my car and its super hot here right now, has been for months. Am i shortening the life of the car running it such hot temps? It heat soaked the other day for the first time and was overheating it when i started again. but haven thad any issues since then. I have 98k oin mine and am getting rdy to do a ported blower and new injectors and BAP. think the car will be okay or should i leave it as it is with the 2.76 pulley? thanks Ben

Users who are viewing this thread