News blackout - Ohio cloud of Polyvinyl chloride death

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
On my co-workers had a bad wheel bearing on his train last night. Just like the train in Ohio. He was a key train too, more than 20 hazmat loads. View attachment 1782130Thankfully the detector caught it before it was too late.
As mentioned earlier in the thread. I've seen that at least twice. One on a train heading towards an inland port and the other heading east towards DC. Both at the same crossing.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Why didn't they pump what they could into new containers and then just burn the remnants? If there were pools or tanks of this then I don't see why they couldn't have pumped it?
Because of contamination to the product be it air or other (ground and even water vapor) into said cars, now if they had a few old derelict cars (ones that was due to be scrapped) it would work, but most of this stuff you can not allow anything to get to it otherwise it would be totally useless.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Because of contamination to the product be it air or other (ground and even water vapor) into said cars, now if they had a few old derelict cars (ones that was due to be scrapped) it would work, but most of this stuff you can not allow anything to get to it otherwise it would be totally useless.
Not following - are you saying they did this to save product? Not ruin other tankers? Not sure this will end up being a wise fiscal decision. Lmao.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Not following - are you saying they did this to save product? Not ruin other tankers? Not sure this will end up being a wise fiscal decision. Lmao.
No just that you do not want to mix and match chemicals with totally different ones as bad things can happen, Should of been more clear on that sorry.

like flatten what is left of East Palestine or making more poisonous gas. And trying to find other tankers with the same exact stuff can be hard and very very time consuming to track down, then to pull it at the location, time that East Palestine did not have. This whole thing was a no win situation with everyone involved. Again Hudson said it best that NS should be sued to extinction. But also like I said if there was no reaction then the tanker could be ruined and need totally cleaned out and disinfected so that what ever was originally in it can be put back into it after the transfer.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

I get what you're saying but they should have been forced to use their own tankers to pump what they could regardless of whether it ruined the containers, or they should have had to pay for semi truck tankers to come in. I can understand the time constraints and not being able to get anyone that is readily available, but I feel like that should have been attempted at least.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I get what you're saying but they should have been forced to use their own tankers to pump what they could regardless of whether it ruined the containers, or they should have had to pay for semi truck tankers to come in. I can understand the time constraints and not being able to get anyone that is readily available, but I feel like that should have been attempted at least.
I don’t understand what he is saying at all- like them worried about the product being useless? Am I reading that wrong?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly. Being in transportation for the last 23 years, ive never seen anything like this.

Never, ever has anyone "burned off" chemical spills after similar disasters. What in the F??

They first contain the HAZ spill, clean it up using proper PPE, properly disposes of, and move on.

Burn it??? When I first saw this I was in utter disbelief. Guess Ohio is the new Afghanistan.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t understand what he is saying at all- like them worried about the product being useless? Am I reading that wrong?
That, and I think he is saying that they might not want to contaminate good containers.

Trying to pump out what they can would have been a good effort for less environmental disaster. If that would have been possible at all.

Or maybe it caught fire from the get go. But I think they did say it was a controlled burn.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im telling you.. .the people "leading" our country, most of our states, and our public insitutions are 1 of 2 things -- or likely both

1. Completely and totally fookin incompetent and should be fired/removed from their positions -- yet they are never accountable like me and you are accountable.
2. Completely and totally corrupt and are knowingly screwing us.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Im telling you.. .the people "leading" our country, most of our states, and our public insitutions are 1 of 2 things -- or likely both

1. Completely and totally fookin incompetent and should be fired/removed from their positions
All of the above.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

I just meant that I understand the possible issues with getting tankers on scene in time, but ruining containers should never have been an excuse. They should have been forced to pay for brand new tankers for all I care, and if they cared about the region and the fallout then they would have offered to pay whatever it takes. It's their mess and they should have to foot the bill to clean it up properly. They could have got local milk tankers or something, just anything that can hold it. The product is bad and the containers will then be bad so who cares what it is, just get as much out as possible.

MG0h3

Established Member

1. Completely and totally fookin incompetent and should be fired/removed from their positions -- yet they are never accountable like me and you are accountable.

Tell me about it.

The level of incompetence I see from upper management is pretty pathetic.

Then when I question decisions and actions, I’m the asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Balt21

Established Member
That, and I think he is saying that they might not want to contaminate good containers.

Trying to pump out what they can would have been a good effort for less environmental disaster. If that would have been possible at all.

Or maybe it caught fire from the get go. But I think they did say it was a controlled burn.
It was a "controlled burn" in the sense that they did it on purpose, supposedly because the temperature of the tankers were getting too high and they were afraid of it exploding on it's own. The train derailed on a Friday and was on fire from that point through Monday afternoon when they did the "controlled burn" and caused their own explosion of sorts. I agree, between Friday and Monday they should have been able to come up with a better plan that burning it.

The EPA was asked to test for dioxins by J.D. Vance and Sherrod Brown (Ohio Senators), but the EPA says it's not necessary. Here's an exert from the below article: "We did receive a letter from Sen. Brown and Sen. Vance. Our toxicologists are taking a look. Unfortunately, we don’t have any baseline information about the levels of dioxins which are produced also by wildfires, by backyard grilling, by a host of other things,” Shore said. Lester says he has no knowledge of backyard grilling producing a dangerous amount of dioxin."

EPA not testing for dioxins, scientist calls reason ‘lame’

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

Ok. I am just thinking that if concern for contaminated good containers was ever an uttered thought that person should be fired and should be going to jail. I suspect the costs of ruined containers is going to be negligible when this all settles. Lmfao. Ruined containers.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok. I am just thinking that if concern for contaminated good containers was ever an uttered thought that person should be fired and should be going to jail. I suspect the costs of ruined containers is going to be negligible when this all settles. Lmfao. Ruined containers.

I don’t know about NS, but we are self insured.

We make train go boom, we pay it all.

I can’t imagine what the price tag is going to look like end of day.

We had a 5 million dollar derailment shortly after I started, and that was only 3-4 engines, 20/25 cars, product, and a few acres to bury.. I mean properly dispose of all the old/ruined shit.

Users who are viewing this thread