New wideband issues

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Today I installed a Autometer NV wideband. The bung is welded about 10 inches after the front O2 sensor. At idle it reads 14.6-15.2. During regular driving its 14.6-15.2. Under WOT it remains 14.6-15.2. During regular driving it spikes to 16.0 when I shift and then returns to 14.6-15.2. The wideband was brand new. Could the sensor have an issue? I grounded it at the fuse box, could that cause it? Do I need to run it to the battery?
Thanks for the help.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
I just bought the car few months ago and it's been stored all winter. I'm just putting it back on the road so I have no experience with the current tuning. It's only my 4th time driving it. It appears to have a bama sct tuner, 2.8 pulley, jlt intake, bassani x w stingers. Car runs good, no drivability issues. Do you think the tune could really be that shitty? I'm assuming its a bama mail order tune. I've been getting ready to plan a dyno tune session. I have a BAP, mafia, plugs to install before dyno. Could a small exhaust leak cause it? I don't hear any ticks or anything but I did just put a new exhaust on.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah stay out of Boost til you have the tune checked, my AEM WB reads the same at idle as yours, high 13's cruising and 11.3-11.4 at WOT

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Highly unlikely the tune is that far off, as the engine would be toast by now running that lean. Run all the grounds to the battery and see what happens, made a huge difference in mine.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Highly unlikely the tune is that far off, as the engine would be toast by now running that lean. Run all the grounds to the battery and see what happens, made a huge difference in mine.

That's what I kind of figured but it seemed so good at idle and cruising. I figured it should at least drop into the 12 or 13s but doesn't. Car makes good power etc. The car has 62k on it and in guessing its been like this for awhile so you'd think the engine would be toast by now if it was that lean. I will try the battery as a ground and see what happens.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Update: I had the car tuned by Pete @ Performance Dyno and put down 474/495 on a 2.76 upper only. He said my AF was dead on during tuning so the original tune that came with the car was that far off. Someone must have taken some parts off before they sold it. Glad I never beat on the car or raced it. Thanks for you help guys.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
even the 14.7 at WOT?

No when he tuned it the af ratio was mid 11s where it should be. I told him about the wideband and during the dyno runs it was accurate with his computer (the correct ratios). So the mail tune it came with was that bad.

Last edited:

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
Heh, my car idles at 11.8-12.2-4, see's 13's and 14's when decellerating. But is 10.8 to 11.2 at WOT. She's a pig. :\

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Impressive HP and Torq #'s for an unported Eaton..:rockon:

Thanks! I was very happy with the numbers it put down as well :beer:
264onl3.jpg

2mpkhty.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Wow! Hard to believe it was that far off and didn't get hurt. Glad you got it re-tuned and nice #'s for a 2.8.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Wow! Hard to believe it was that far off and didn't get hurt. Glad you got it re-tuned and nice #'s for a 2.8.

Yeah no kidding! I think someone ripped out some parts before they sold it. Bap, injectors etc and returned it to stockish form leaving the old tune in. Glad I never beat on it before I got it tuned. I'm running a 2.76 now, thanks!:beer:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
More than likely. Heck, we see it all the time on here with guys returning the car to stock and selling it, and the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread