New v Used

mustang5o

Established Member
I have been out of the Mustang world for a while now but I'm ready to jump back in. Originally I had planned to get a new 2014 GT but then something happened. I remembered how much I liked the 2003-2004 Cobra's. I know stock for stock the new GT's are showing more HP but my understanding would be that the Terminators are easy to boost the power up even more. Waiting for a 2015 is possible but without knowing it looks like, how much a V8 will cost...it's tough.

I'm talking with a guy now on his Terminator and need info as quickly as I can. If anyone has compared the two cars I would appreciate knowing your impressions of the Terminator vs the new Coyote (if I could afford the GT500 this post wouldn't be here ;-)). How about any issues I should be on the lookout for with a Terminator? Upgrades I'd need be prepared for shortly have getting the car (I seem to remember some IRS stuff).

Thanks for any help and if I've missed a link to a "Dummies guide to the 2003-2004 Cobra's" please share and sorry to be a bother.

Razzles

Established Member
I have a 2013 GT and my boyfriend has a 2003 Roush Cobra. My 5.0 keeps up with his no problem. As a matter of fact, it was so close when we raced them that he immediately said he was getting the biggest blower he could find because he couldn't have his gf's car fast as his...lol

mustang5o

Established Member
That's about what I figured but I was sure a little tweaking on the Cobra seems to bump the power greatly. Not that I really need extra power. The Cobra's look better IMO especially if I can find the right color (Mystic anyone?).

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Stock for stock they are very similar. But the ability to add over 100hp with just bolt ons makes the terminator pretty nice.

testorossa1989

Established Member
5.0 if you want the comfort and modern day touch screens, seats, aux, ect. Cobra if your a simple man.

Cobra for power
5.0 for basic and style.

I doubt youll wanna void a warrenty on a new 2014 by strapping on a twin turbo so it narrows it down to your plans

mustang5o

Established Member
Stock for stock they are very similar. But the ability to add over 100hp with just bolt ons makes the terminator pretty nice.

Well at least I seem to remember that part correctly.

5.0 if you want the comfort and modern day touch screens, seats, aux, ect. Cobra if your a simple man.

Cobra for power
5.0 for basic and style.

I doubt youll wanna void a warrenty on a new 2014 by strapping on a twin turbo so it narrows it down to your plans

I do like the idea of some of the new features like Sync, Track Apps, having a Warranty :) but yeah, I won't be wanting to void the warranty or even have the cash to do things like a SC or Turbo setup. I was all set to place my order (2014 GT Premium with Track Pack) when I saw this car for sale. Any upgrades I'd do to the 2014 would be limited to things like CAI and tune, shifter, axle back, maybe different wheels and a different wing out back. That little lip they put on just won't do for me. Either need the pedestal spoiler or the GT500 spoiler on it.

Hoping to make up my mind by the end of the week. Going to discuss financing options on an older car tonight so that might be the deciding factor.

oneof185

Established Member
I got the 5.0 when it came out in 2011. Loved the car, yes it was fast, comfortable etc.
I had a 04 Cobra prior to and missed it. I am back in an 04. Obviously there are a lot of factors, new car, full warranty...price is higher, car is much more common. Cobra, cheap boost in HP, seat of the pants, feels way stronger IMO....even if stock for stock it's a drivers race. To me, the Cobra has plenty of nice features, love the seating, can add an aftermarket radio...blah blah.
Anyway to me, hands-down 03/04 Cobra.

03SVTscott

Established Member
has a 2003 Roush Cobra.......now I'm not trying to be a pain, but I know Roush made very few Roush Cobras....maybe like10.....I think?? You sure your b/fs Roush isn't the stage 3, which is basically a heavily modified GT?

Jensanity

Established Member
Terminator!!! May be hard to get a term length you want when financing a 03/04. Banks and credit unions here in central Arkansas were offering 36-48 months. For me this was leaving my payments higher than I was looking for. Ended up using Gateway1 Lending and was able to get 60 months on a 2003 Cobra :) Had the car about 6 weeks and I loooove it!

Warrior627

Established Member
For the 03/04 Terminator to still be compared to a car (many cars) and technology that is 10 years newer is saying something to everyone. Try and think of any other car that is still relevant 10 years later. Plenty of fine examples here on SVTP in the Buy/Sell section :beer:

Last edited:

mustang5o

Established Member
Terminator!!! May be hard to get a term length you want when financing a 03/04. Banks and credit unions here in central Arkansas were offering 36-48 months. For me this was leaving my payments higher than I was looking for. Ended up using Gateway1 Lending and was able to get 60 months on a 2003 Cobra :) Had the car about 6 weeks and I loooove it!

What kind of rates are the offering?

For the 03/04 Terminator to still be compared to a car (many cars) and technology that is 10 years newer is saying something to everyone. Try and think of any other car that is still relevant 10 years later. Plenty of fine examples here on SVTP in the Buy/Sell section :beer:

Yeah, the more I read up the more I like it (as if I didn't enough already). It's a pricey "toy" especially without any warranty but I'm trying to convince myself.

mustang5o

Established Member
Oh before I forget. Is it necessary to beef up the IRS to avoid issues with it or is that just when you reach a certain power level?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
He better hope he can save up for his faster than I can save up for mine!! ;-)

:uh oh: sounds like its on and poppin :beer:

Oh before I forget. Is it necessary to beef up the IRS to avoid issues with it or is that just when you reach a certain power level?

yes at the very least for a bone stock irs do a billetflow brace. even at stock power levels it is easy to shatter the cover on hard acceleration because of the soft bushings.

mustang5o

Established Member
OK, I've found a bone stock Mystic Chrome convertible for sale. Besides running a Carfax is there a way to verify the VIN with Ford/SVT. With only 13K miles on it how much should this car go for. It's one of my top 5 Mustang dream cars. I always thought I'd rather have a coupe but man these look good with drop tops.

I think if I get this car I'll be leaving it stock and not racing it to try and keep the value up...or are their mods that I should do that won't hurt the value? Maybe even help, like the aforementioned billet flow brace? Something that I can do to protect the original equipment for as long as possible?

Hoping to go see it tomorrow. Again, any help is much appreciated.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
has a 2003 Roush Cobra.......now I'm not trying to be a pain, but I know Roush made very few Roush Cobras....maybe like10.....I think?? You sure your b/fs Roush isn't the stage 3, which is basically a heavily modified GT?

No it's the real deal. I know both of them. :beer: my other friend has a black jack roush.

Users who are viewing this thread