New TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Honestly man, most of us KNOW it was a tuning problem. Without a doubt, some of the tuning shops rushed out some tunes to get these CAIs working with them, and they pulled the same old tricks with the 11:1 motor that they were doing with the older much lower compression motors. And lets say that maybe some of the customers forgot to put in the high octane gas, or maybe they got bad gas?? Take all that into account, along with whatever other customer caused potential problems that could occur and thats the problem. Too many variables out there to send out a tune on the ragged edge on a motor with this compression. Thats all there is to it. There are so many owners of these cars that are NEW mustang owners for the first time, and all they know is what some other person told them. Go get a tune from this guy or that guy. Then they do, hotrod the car with bad gas or low octane gas on a hot day, then pop goes the 5.0. Its not a string of bad motors. Its the early tunes. Case closed.

I wish you were 100 percent right but you may not be. We shall see. It's far from case closed. Case closed is the end. We are not at the end. Most of these cars don't have 10's of thousands of miles on them yet but I do agree that a bad tune can kill them for sure. Case closed is too narrow minded at this time. You sound like a Ford Engineer back in 2007 talking about the new 6.4. The end all of all the 6.0 problems. Yeah right.

Last edited:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I would give you more info on what I know but since I'm dealing with customers instead of my own car, I will leave that up to them. I know Ford products up, down and sideways. I do think a possible problem exists. I think it has something to do with fuel octane and tuners not having enough knock sensitivity, too much timing and not enough throttle input enrichment. But and I say BUT, I have heard through the channels that there could be bone stock issues and I will leave it at that. If you have seen the problems that I have over the last 15+ years of dealing with Ford only problems, you would know why I am a little worried. They told us the 6.4 was the cure all of all the 6.0 problems and that POS is the abortion of every diesel invented. I wouldn't give two shits about it if I didn't own one myself and know the things I know.

I wish the ones with stock tunes and popped #8's would show up then. You heard there could be? Far cry from "omg they're all blowing up!" that some are claiming.

Not asking for names, addresses and phone numbers, just evidence of stock cars with popped #8 and pictures (good ones in good light) to verify the cause is all. Like I said, every knowledgeable person I have talked to are convinced it's simply a tuning issue that is finding the first weak link and real tuners finding ways to prevent damage to that link.

What's sad is that the whole "they won't warranty my motor" issue is clouding this up. I want to see if it really is a problem on stock cars, and verify what, if anything, in the tune is the issue so I don't do it to my own! And so you, and anyone else don't either. But the whole should or shouldn't they warranty it keeps coming up.

davidhuff

Established Member
These are great motors but must be tuned by a Professional Tuner and the proof and NO BS as follows:
Chris Cruz 8.83 /141,stock motor with supercharger and tuned by Jon Lund
Rebecca Starkey 9.79/140,stock motor with supercharger and tuned by vmp tuning
Rod Heltzel 9.89/138,stock motor with supercharger and tuned by vmp tuning
Charles Mason 11.45/118,stock motor,naturally aspirated and tuned by Jon Lund
Pete Espeut 11.89/115,stock motor,naturally aspirated and tuned by Dave Guy
These are facts guys and a few gallons of 100 octane unleaded gas sure want hurt!
I tried my best to give examples how BAD ASS these motors are with a Professional Tune and BS post continue:bash:
Use one of the above tuners and enjoy your new 5.0.

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I tried my best to give examples how BAD ASS these motors are with a Professional Tune and BS post continue:bash:
Use one of the above tuners and enjoy your new 5.0.

Don't be surprised if one of those above tuners wasn't involved in one of these #8 failures already.

Graboid

Established Member
Lol I wonder if tune prices will go up now? Someone Is going to pay for the popped motors. If you hire someone to wire your new house and it burns down do you cry to the electrician or the guy that laid the slab? I'm still waiting on one of the tuners from a popped car to nut up and say it was their fault and do something about the damage they caused or to jump on the Oh Sh$t Fords motors are trash train.

FormulaFord

Established Member
You guys bring up a great point about fuel. I think alot of tuners squeeze out as much as they can not accounting for a bad batch of fuel. There are gas stations out there with bad fuel! Maybe the that is why the factory calibrations are set the way they are?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Man, Shadow, you sure are an internet tough guy. You use the internet to talk trash that you could never get away with in real life.

How's that toilet cleaning at the backwoods dealership you work at?

yeah good one. Keep trying to act like u know something.

id say it to your face. your such a tool.

Last edited:

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
That would be a good idea, but I'm afraid they might void my warranty.

:rolleyes:

Ford has already voided someones warranty with a 5.0 I'm dealing with. The threat is real. They are not going to be replacing 6499 longblocks and labor if they can find a way out. Tampons aren't going to stop this bleeding.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
This is a GREAT site, but this thread is completely useless :nonono:.

News flash, for those who are part of this blameless society we live in today - Ford, nor any other auto manufacturer, designs/builds vehicles that are going to be a blank canvas for you to modify; then be liable because you pushed the design beyond its parts limitations :bored:. Learning curve or not, you (the owner) chose to push the performance envelop. This is an entirely different era in auto performance. 20 years ago, if you had 400RWHP and a 12 sec timeslip, you were a GOD. Today, you are SLOW!

This post isn't meant to kick the top off a fire ant mound, but there are a couple of isolated events with these 5.0's and all the sudden people are jumping off of this car as quickly as they jumped on it. It is ridiculous. If you want your warranty, keep it stock and drive the wheels off of it. If #8 goes, then fight the good fight. If you mod it, in the name of speed/power, deal with the consequences of your actions.

Do your homework folks, use a REPUTABLE tuner :read:, and TALK to them. Stay away from the AGGRESSIVE tunes, and settle for middle of the road; not how fast will my car go down the 1/4 mile. I, for one, am tired of reading about who was the FIRST to run X, or the FASTEST or QUICKEST - WHO THE HELL CARES! There is ALWAYS somebody FASTER/QUICKER than me, you, or the next guy. I want LONGEVITY to be the focus and I discussed this with my tuner. I bought the extended warranty, and I have modded my wife's 5.0. If Ford chooses to void my warranty because of what I, and I alone have done, then I will put on my big boy pants and deal with it :beer:

davidhuff

Established Member
Don't be surprised if one of those above tuners wasn't involved in one of these #8 failures already.
I would not be surprised if one of the above tuners was not involved in one of these failures.I gave you my proof and I am waiting on your proof!

Last edited:

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
This is a GREAT site, but this thread is completely useless :nonono:.

News flash, for those who are part of this blameless society we live in today - Ford, nor any other auto manufacturer, designs/builds vehicles that are going to be a blank canvas for you to modify; then be liable because you pushed the design beyond its parts limitations :bored:. Learning curve or not, you (the owner) chose to push the performance envelop. This is an entirely different era in auto performance. 20 years ago, if you had 400RWHP and a 12 sec timeslip, you were a GOD. Today, you are SLOW!

This post isn't meant to kick the top off a fire ant mound, but there are a couple of isolated events with these 5.0's and all the sudden people are jumping off of this car as quickly as they jumped on it. It is ridiculous. If you want your warranty, keep it stock and drive the wheels off of it. If #8 goes, then fight the good fight. If you mod it, in the name of speed/power, deal with the consequences of your actions.

Do your homework folks, use a REPUTABLE tuner :read:, and TALK to them. Stay away from the AGGRESSIVE tunes, and settle for middle of the road; not how fast will my car go down the 1/4 mile. I, for one, am tired of reading about who was the FIRST to run X, or the FASTEST or QUICKEST - WHO THE HELL CARES! There is ALWAYS somebody FASTER/QUICKER than me, you, or the next guy. I want LONGEVITY to be the focus and I discussed this with my tuner. I bought the extended warranty, and I have modded my wife's 5.0. If Ford chooses to void my warranty because of what I, and I alone have done, then I will put on my big boy pants and deal with it :beer:

News flash. 20 years ago many of us were daily driving 10 second cars. I know I was. I'm not a GOD. No one ever expected a tune on a N/A motor to melt #8 piston either on a daily driver with a pump gas tune. So whose big boy pants are you going to put on, the one to sue Ford or your Tuner? That's the question for many out here, maybe not you. Reputable tuners are included in the learning curve here. Hopefully many didn't hurt their stuff and have a better tune now. But then again, maybe they don't.

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I would not be surprised if one of the above tuners was not involved in one of these failures.I gave you my proof and I am waiting on your proof!

I don't have any solid proof on stock cars. Just heard that 3-4 cars with the issue appear to be completely stock. This country has 50 states and thousands of 5.0 owners that don't even know this site exists. This site is not the all knowing, not even close.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I don't have any solid proof on stock cars. Just heard that 3-4 cars with the issue appear to be completely stock. This country has 50 states and thousands of 5.0 owners that don't even know this site exists. This site is not the all knowing, not even close.

so 20,000 plus cars u heard 3-4? maybe one for real? an it was probably still abuse under some weird condition. If true at all.

Last edited:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Ford has already voided someones warranty with a 5.0 I'm dealing with. The threat is real. They are not going to be replacing 6499 longblocks and labor if they can find a way out. Tampons aren't going to stop this bleeding.

So if u built something, sold and someone changed it. Caused it to fail. Would u pay for it?

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
I'm out from here. Time will tell whats up. These things are 1 year old so many more will happen and we can narrow it down from there. I'm happy with my Bama tune and what the dyno has shown ME so peace out until next issue.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
News flash. 20 years ago many of us were daily driving 10 second cars. I know I was. I'm not a GOD. No one ever expected a tune on a N/A motor to melt #8 piston either on a daily driver with a pump gas tune. So whose big boy pants are you going to put on, the one to sue Ford or your Tuner? That's the question for many out here, maybe not you. Reputable tuners are included in the learning curve here. Hopefully many didn't hurt their stuff and have a better tune now. But then again, maybe they don't.

MANY of us were not even close to the 10 sec zone 20 years ago, especially not daily drivers. Not trying to argue here, but the 10 sec zone in '91 was reserved for a select few, not the common majority as it is today. As for no one expecting the #8 piston melting on a N/A tune, Ford never intended for their tune to be changed. So I will be putting on my own big boy pants as the blame falls solely on me. Why are you so bent on shifting the responsibility on someone other than yourself for your actions? I don't intend to sue Ford or my tuner. You mod it, it breaks, you fix it. Pretty simple.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member

What was done to it or what was the reason it was denied?

Users who are viewing this thread