New TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

SicShelby09

Banned
I agree with the pay to play attitude that people have because it is correct. And with the inexpensive parts out there to fix or fortify our motors for that added power, this should be almost a non issue. Pay for the replacement parts from MMR or one of the other vendors, move on and enjoy the safe power.

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
I've been following this business on the other forums and I've read that there has been a lund and bama tune that have killed #8.

I also read from one dealership tech that a stock motor also lost #8 and was due to a "spark plug issue" and that was all he could say.

a local tuner's shop car 5.0 also lost #8 and was replaced by ford. I spoke with him briefly about what he thought caused it and he says that they suspect that the knock sensors are not working properly (both stock or tuned) but can't verify that. At the moment, their replacement engine is only running a C&L intake with the restriction piece as they're just going to keep the stock tune.

I was considering either a Lund or Steeda tune but now I'm just going to leave it as is and focus more on suspension. It's plenty fast for daily driving around town anyways and I've never taken it to the drag strip (nor do I have plans to any time soon)

The Lund car was bad gas,so i hear.

t01lightning

Established Member
It is because they do not haave forged pistons, forged ones can take light detonation and be fine. And if 11 to 1 compression on 93 is the problem how can the lsx cars spinning to 7000 make it on 12 to 1

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Same crap different decade. If your local dealer wants to be an ass about it, bring it to me!

kevinp

Established Member
It is because they do not haave forged pistons, forged ones can take light detonation and be fine. And if 11 to 1 compression on 93 is the problem how can the lsx cars spinning to 7000 make it on 12 to 1

LS cars are not 12:1, LS7 is 11:1 and most othere are 10-10.5:1. And yes they have broken ring lands stock (#7) with a tune and bolt ons. Quite a few broke ring lands back when they first came out, I had a P1SC on a LS1 Z28 in 2000 for quite a while and never hurt a piston - sounds familiar doesnt it..

Now BMW M3 V8s are 12:1 and spin to 8400rpm stock, but they have forged pistons..

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Careful what you say man. You will have transport trucks pulling up to your dealer loaded with modded/broke stangs.

Been there done that... used to work on more Terminators than anyone. We fixed alot of "modded" cars under warranty. As long as the mods didn't cause the failure or what we could prove caused the failure. Never was an issue. Ask Racerat and alot of others who've been on these forums for a while.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
Been there done that... used to work on more Terminators than anyone. We fixed alot of "modded" cars under warranty. As long as the mods didn't cause the failure or what we could prove caused the failure. Never was an issue. Ask Racerat and alot of others who've been on these forums for a while.

Are you in Austin Texas? lol

WHITEMACH

Established Member
sounds like a sh!tty batch of chinese pistons to go with there whining chinese trans!!!!OH AND DONT FORGET THE CLUTCH BOLTS THAT BACK OUT AND THE CLUTCH PROBLEMS PERIOD ON A STOCK CAR!!!! ford gets a big thumbs down on this!!!!!and they wonder why sales on the mustang are down!!

Last edited:

03 red vert

Question is, Ford Tech can tell the tune has been adjusted, but can he / she determine when?

Meaning, you buy a used or demo 2011 GT, you can flash the computer back to stock. Your argument can be I was not the original owner since at 1 mile on the odometer. Not aware of modifications prior to purchase. Not sure if it will fly, but...

Awaiting for a TSB that states the warranty is voided if 87 or 89 octane is used.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVTStampede

Established Member
sounds like a sh!tty batch of chinese pistons to go with there whining chinese trans!!!!OH AND DONT FORGET THE CLUTCH BOLTS THAT BACK OUT AND THE CLUTCH PROBLEMS PERIOD ON A STOCK CAR!!!! ford gets a big thumbs down on this!!!!!and they wonder why sales on the mustang are down!!

It is not yet determined that some people are dealing with bad pistons/rings/assembly, especially since so much evidence points at tunes still, or at a minimum a combination.

For the record though, the pistons are made by Mahle in the USA and Mustang outsold Camaro in June. :D

03 red vert

The following list contains items that are frequently
modified in an effort to increase the engines torque/power output. Modifying these items may, or may not improve the performance, but can lead to drivability issues, DTCs and possibly component failures:

• Air induction system (air box, air filter, zip tube)

I question if there should have been texted added to the TSB in reference to the air filters as "this TSB does not apply to OEM replacement air filters". Fram, Wix, etc... I am splitting hairs, but from a legal perspective, nothing is assumed.

What is a zip tube?

Kimcobra

Established Member
I think some of you guys need to man up.. If you are going to play on the ragged edge with your tunes and something happens then it should be on you not FORD to fix, Hell none of you would hand over your car to me and let me tune it and race it and then you fix it when I break it cause I went to far! nobody would yet you expect Ford to..This is exactly what the TBS is all about period, guys buy these cars and try to do the same thing with them they see these shop cars do, guess what the shop car breaks alot they just have the means to fix them..if you are going to play sooner or later you will have to pay thats life!! Hell what do you expect?? really..you give me your car and let me drive the shit out of it and when it breaks I will give it back to you to fix..man come on really..
Some of you guys are wanting to sell your cars for this reason also..WTF!! talk about not taking responsability..

Users who are viewing this thread