New R member

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
Also, my car has an annoying pop/ backfire many times when I downshift. Does an aftermarket chip cure this, or is it just my car? Who should I buy my chip from, how much does it cost, and are all the chips custom made for each car on the dyno or can I just order one? I would like to get a 2 or more position one for high octane fuel, nitrous, etc. I've got more questions but these will do for now. Thanks again, CB

My R had that backfire with the stock exhaust, almost unnoticable. With the bassani exhaust installed it got very noticeable and embarrasing.

I've got a single program computer chip. I got it from Byron Reynolds of R.A.C.E Systems. He has dynoed several of the R's with the bassani exhaust and has a chip specificly programmed for them. His program also fixes the decel backfiring. He also has a 4 position switch chip available. I am very pleased with the chip. You can contact him from his web site at www.racesystems.com.

Paul.

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
ok, for the DNG (Dumb New Guy - namely myself!!) ... what the heck is a "coolant degass bottle"??? I assume it has something to do with the cooling system somehow?? Is this something I should be concerned with?

It is the black plastic box with the other radiator car on it. It helps keep air out of the cooling sysytem. "DEGASSED". They can leak coolant, usually after the car has been driven hard for awhile and the cooling system builds up its normal pressure. Thats what mine is starting to due. It will leak a small mist of antifreeze of which will end up as small green droplets on the engine, intake, and battery. I think the 93, 95, and 2000R's degass bottles are all the same units. So it should not be to difficult to get a replacement.

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy

It is the black plastic box with the other radiator car on it. It helps keep air out of the cooling sysytem. "DEGASSED". They can leak coolant, usually after the car has been driven hard for awhile and the cooling system builds up its normal pressure. Thats what mine is starting to due. It will leak a small mist of antifreeze of which will end up as small green droplets on the engine, intake, and battery. I think the 93, 95, and 2000R's degass bottles are all the same units. So it should not be to difficult to get a replacement.

Paul.

If someone gets the part number on that bottle, please post it. It might be a smart idea to carry an extra one to the track.(Kevin...maybe you should buy two) :D

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

If someone gets the part number on that bottle, please post it. It might be a smart idea to carry an extra one to the track.(Kevin...maybe you should buy two) :D

Brian, you have to run your car HARD on the race track before it starts to leak. Your referrence to Kevin needing two of them may be invalid. LOL

Brian, I think we both should log off before KEVIN gets here, or were gonna get an ear full.

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member

Brian, you have to run your car HARD on the race track before it starts to leak. Your referrence to Kevin needing two of them may be invalid. LOL

Paul.

Ok, Getting that from Kevin and Dean is enough!! I thought I had an ally in you, now you join "Them" :D :D :D :D

Cobra-R

Established Member

Brian, I think we both should log off before KEVIN gets here, or were gonna get an ear full.

Paul.

Naw, we can handle kevin. He gives in when ya put him in a head lock:rolling: :D :D

svtguy

Established Member

Brian, let me reword that last post. You hard to have a TRACK TIME car. A JACK TIME car won't need a replacement degass bottle, let alone two of them.LOL ROFLOL!!!!!!

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member

Brian, let me reword that last post. You hard to have a TRACK TIME car. A JACK TIME car won't need a replacement degass bottle, let alone two of them.LOL ROFLOL!!!!!!

Paul.

Ok, We're cool again. :D :D

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Degass bottle

Someone answered correctly, its the tiny black tank where the coolant is filled....I'll post the part number for the degass bottle next week, after I have the 2 recalls done on it (parking brake and rear knuckle) and....not that its a big deal to install....but my dealer will install the degass bottle for free, cause they said it sucks that SVT didnt give it to me n/c because it was leaking from the get go, and their other 3 R's they sold leaked also....they didnt replace them, but put some hi temp rtv silicone on the seam where they leak/mist out of (not my idea of a permanent fix) so I'm probably going to get a spare myself, or take apart and re-epoxy the original one before I go to the track with it....I dont wanna get my picture taken with the hood up and a welding torch next to my car at the track, like Kevin :rolling:

svtguy

Established Member
Re: Degass bottle

Originally posted by NJ2000R
....I dont wanna get my picture taken with the hood up and a welding torch next to my car at the track, like Kevin :rolling:

Excellent responce.

Enough said. LOL

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Degass bottle

Originally posted by NJ2000R

....I dont wanna get my picture taken with the hood up and a welding torch next to my car at the track, like Kevin :rolling:

LMAO, I would hate to have to take a picture of two R's sitting side by side on jack stands.

kevin

Originally posted by XLR8-R
These cars come with a B&M shifter, but with the stock handle which has a rubber insolator/isolator for less vibration. Every aftermarket shifter does not have the rubber insolator, it sucks. You can buy bushings to mount your stock shifter handle solid from Steeda or others, or you can buy the Steeda aluminum handle like I did which is shorter and more offset to the driver. Makes a BIG difference, I love it and havn't missed a gear yet. (I'm sure I will eventually however) CB

is this an easy swap to make? is it just a matter of opening the boot in the consol and then repalce pieces there?

thanks

(see brian, informative stuff here):D

kevin

My R had that backfire with the stock exhaust, almost unnoticable. With the bassani exhaust installed it got very noticeable and embarrasing.

I've got a single program computer chip. I got it from Byron Reynolds of R.A.C.E Systems. He has dynoed several of the R's with the bassani exhaust and has a chip specificly programmed for them. His program also fixes the decel backfiring. He also has a 4 position switch chip available. I am very pleased with the chip. You can contact him from his web site at www.racesystems.com.

Paul.

paul, is the single chip one that goes inside the black box or does it hang outside of it?

kevin

Paul.

to late paul, i'm here and i see you're all still logged on.

:shocked:

kevin

Ok, Getting that from Kevin and Dean is enough!! I thought I had an ally in you, now you join "Them" :D :D :D :D

waddya mean "them" all of "you" are piling on me.

but, that's ok. the jack stands are 1 ton capable:D :D

kevin

Paul.

i break one thing at a time and i make sure it breaks good so that once it's fixed it stays fixed (i hope)

the degas bottle is next on my list (hmmmmm two clutchs, two bottles):D :D

kevin

Re: Re: Degass bottle

Excellent responce.

Enough said. LOL

Paul.

nj - come to ra next year.

actually if ya look carefully at the photo you'll not see any jack stands.

what ya see is an expense experimental self contained jack system. this allows the car to be remotely raised for spectator inspection.:D :D :xxplode:

Users who are viewing this thread