New R member

Cobra-R

Established Member
I would like to introduce you all to our newest R member. He has a 2000 R #262 and is from New Jersey I believe. His Board name is NJ2000R. So lets all start hounding him to come to the 2nd Annual R get together. :D

Maybe Ken would be willing to tell us the story behind how and why he bought the car.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I would like to introduce you all to our newest R member. He has a 2000 R #262 and is from New Jersey I believe. His Board name is NJ2000R. So lets all start hounding him to come to the 2nd Annual R get together. :D

Maybe Ken would be willing to tell us the story behind how and why he bought the car.

Brian
NJ2000R:

Welcome aboard man! How long have you had the R ???

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Hey guys! Thanks for the welcome messages....I havent even posted yet, and I've already gotten more attention here than I have on the SVTOA board, and that cost me 40 bucks! LOL....anyhow, I really wanted a 2000 R when I had first heard about them....so, I talked to the dealer where I had just bought my 1999 cobra convert (white/tan/tan) and he said I could get on his 'bid list' which didnt sound good....and it wasnt....he pre-sold it for 70k....then he got a 2nd one and sold it for 65k....so, I waited and watched ebay and yahoo, etc, and they all were selling for 60k plus....so, I waited some more....then, in April of 2001, I found one for sale out in Ohio, on ebay, for 48k, and NO RESERVE! with just 2 days to go....so, I made a call to them, asked if they'd take my 99 vert in trade, and deliver the R to me in NJ....we hashed numbers a few times, and then we made the deal....no problem! It had never been titled, so I am the first owner....the guys (dealers) that I bought it from had purchased it, and two others, in hopes of selling them for 70k....which never happened....and I guess there was a cash crunch, so they had to unload them....I think that they had sold the first one for 60k, mine for 48k, and the last one for 55k....I guess I was just in the right spot at the right time....I love the car, it runs like the wind and handles like a dream....I just turned 1000 miles on the car, and only use it in nice weather....I have a few minor quirks, though....I'll post them when I get a chance, and see if anyone else has similar problems....Thanks again for the welcoming, and I look forward to being an active member here on the site, and try to make some of the events, too....Take care, Ken

1993R

Established Member
Believe it or not that is almost the exact way I found my 1993R in 1996.See history does repeat itself in mysterious ways!Maybe were in a time warp or something:D

Terry Moenich

Established Member
welcome NJ2000R!!!!1

Hey that dealer in Ohio, was the name of it Foriegn Auto Livery???

If so thats were I got my 00R for the same money your talkin' about!

How many miles was on yours!!!

JoeJ

Established Member
Welcome

Ken,
Welcome to SVT Performance site. You will find there are some great guys here. Now you will have to join us next year at Ra for our get together.

I live in Houston TX and run my Cobra R at Texas World Speedway, Motor Sports Ranch south of Fort Worth and at Hallett. And of course the RA event. Man that was a blast. Even tho I had a few problems with my brakes and clutch.

Welcome again. Sure nice to have another Cobra R on our site.
Later,

kevin

welcome ken.

those "quirks" you're talking about, let us know. we've broken our cars in many ways on the track.

and we're not shy about trading info here.

you'll make the "2nd annual r meet" in sept 02 at road america, right!!

svtguy

Established Member
Welcome Ken. This is a great group of people. Just alittle bit of teasing and razzing always going on around this group.

Originally posted by kevin

those "quirks" you're talking about, let us know. we've broken our cars in many ways on the track.

WE'VE broken. Don't you mean YOU'VE broken. LOL.
I think Brian (Cobra-R) has some nice pic's of you're car at RA, and they aren't TRACK TIME photo's. LOL LOL LOL ROFLMAO.
Sorry,Kevin, I couldn't resist it.

Once again Ken, welcome.

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy
Welcome Ken. This is a great group of people. Just alittle bit of teasing and razzing always going on around this group.

I think Brian (Cobra-R) has some nice pic's of you're car at RA, and they aren't TRACK TIME photo's. LOL LOL LOL ROFLMAO.

Once again Ken, welcome.

Paul.

ALLLLLLLLLLLright Paul!!!!!!! I believe in baseball that would be called a STRIKE
:bash:

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

ALLLLLLLLLLLright Paul!!!!!!! I believe in baseball that would be called a STRIKE
:bash:

Brian, Just giving the new guy a tour of the place!

LOL.

Paul.

kevin

Originally posted by svtguy

LMAO, ok, ya got me on that one. but someone's got break stuff so that the rest of ya know what to fix BEFORE ya get to the track.

btw, none of you guys asked for the trottle fix and i forgot to pass 'em out.

Paul.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Terry, yes it was foreign auto livery....mine had 85 miles on it when I got it....I'm sure they did a little 'joyriding' before selling the cars they had (I know I would have, lol) because the last one sold had 750 or 800 miles on it....how many on yours?

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
Terry, yes it was foreign auto livery....mine had 85 miles on it when I got it....I'm sure they did a little 'joyriding' before selling the cars they had (I know I would have, lol) because the last one sold had 750 or 800 miles on it....how many on yours?
Ken,

One of the first things you need to check up on is the status of the "rear knuckle recall"? Check to make sure the your R has had this fix installed? if not, you will need to get the letter from SVT and have them send the parts to your SVT dealer of choice, then schedule it to have the fix installed. There is also a recall on the hand brake assembly.

by the way... in case you are interested in getting some additional horsepower? Bassani makes a wonderful exhaust (hiflow) system to replace the stock Cobra CATs and the CATback. It is very loud but sounds real good and along with a chip remapping, can provide an additional 30-40 more horsepower at the rear wheels!!

Welcome aboard man! I just recently bought mine used with 1300 miles on it and I LOVE IT!!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Yeah I ordered the parts for the knuckle recall, and scheduled it about a month ago.....parts are in, and its going in on monday (finally) I've heard there have been some serious crashes resulting from the knuckle failure.....in fact, I think my dealer said one that he sold was totalled (OUCH!!!!) due to the knuckle failing....needless to say, I've been driving the R a little more conservatively than normal....

XLR8-R

Established Member
I'm new to this forum also. I just recently bought #179. I live in San Antonio, my car came from Austin with 3700 miles. Anyone else replaced the rubbery rack bushings yet? This seemed to make my car wander less on not smooth roads and tightened up the steering response noticeably. I also had to replace the rubbery shift handle on the shifter, kept missing 3rd! Other than that, it's a blast. Could use a little bit more horsepower. I plan to try the Bassani non - catalytic x-pipe with the stock Borlas, but will dyno it first so I can see the results. Will drag test this week hopefully. Carter Boyer

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
I'm new to this forum also. I just recently bought #179. I live in San Antonio, my car came from Austin with 3700 miles. Anyone else replaced the rubbery rack bushings yet? This seemed to make my car wander less on not smooth roads and tightened up the steering response noticeably. I also had to replace the rubbery shift handle on the shifter, kept missing 3rd! Other than that, it's a blast. Could use a little bit more horsepower. I plan to try the Bassani non - catalytic x-pipe with the stock Borlas, but will dyno it first so I can see the results. Will drag test this week hopefully. Carter Boyer
XLR8:

Congrats and welcome to the club!! :)

I also just recently bought my R, and I live in Houston. JoeJ (from Humble) is also on this board. My R had 1300 miles on it when I bought 4 weeks ago.

I just installed the Bassani (street legal version) X-pipe with hiflow CATs, AND the Bassani hiflow CAT-back exhaust and man, it SOUNDS SWEET!!! Very loud, but very nice! I also had my car tuned on the dyno at Houston Performance directly after installing the exhaust, and we got the following numbers at the rear wheels...

369 HP

375 lb/ft torque

translates to about 430 HP at the crank! JoeJ has the same setup but has a different chip.

I am getting 4.10 gears installed in mine as soon as the Kenny Brown diff cooler arrives. They will be doing all the work at the same time. I also got some real nice gauges to fit on the A pillar. This past weekend I installed some Scroth racing 4 point harnesses in place of the stock seat belts. They are bright red with black lettering and look really good against the black Recaro seats. I also plan on getting a full roll cage put in - customized at Kenny Bumbera Performance in Houston. He said it would take about 2-3 weeks but would be real nice... powder-coated! :D

Anyway, nice to see someone else from Texas with an R and on this board! We should plan to hook up some time soon. I will be taking my R to Texas World Speedway in College Station some time in late October.

later... and keep the R between the ditches!!! :block:

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
Could use a little bit more horsepower. I plan to try the Bassani non - catalytic x-pipe with the stock Borlas, but will dyno it first so I can see the results. Will drag test this week hopefully. Carter Boyer

XLR8-R, Welcome.

I have the bassani non cat x pipe and the bassani cat back system on my R. During a local autocross event, I slightly damaged the right side exhaust tip and resinator. While I was waiting for the bassani replacement parts, I reinstalled the factory borla cat back and left the non cat x-pipe on. With the factory borla cat back and non cat x-pipe, it was not that much louder the stock, but still pulled pretty good on the top end, not as hard as with the full bassani thou. With the non cat x-pipe and the factory borla cat back on, I ran my car on Heartland Park Topeka's 2.5 mile road course. I put about 125 miles on it at that track. At the end of that event I noticed that the exhaust had a tinging, pinging, rattle to it, especially on a cold start up. VERY VERY annoying and embarrassing. The noise is coming from the first common chambered part of the borla cat back, the part right after the x pipe where both the left and right pipe enter the same muffler section. I contacted borla about this problem (left out the part about having the non cat x-pipe on) about getting it fixed. They have very nicely given me the run-a-round. At this point it sits at me sending in the complete cat back system for them to inspect. At that point they will let me know what they will do for me. Anyway, just letting you and everyone else know what happened when i ran the non cat x-pipe with the factory borla cat back.

btw, you cannot buy the 2000 cobra R specific catback side exit exhaust from borla, even if you own one. They have the individual peices of the system, but cannot put it together because it was a limited production run for ford only. It can only come from ford because they bought in excess of 300 units. I am just trying to get just that one section on my replaced.

Paul.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Thanks for the welcome guys! I hope you don't get tired of my queries, I have lots!...For instance, I know subframes would be difficult due to the side exhaust, does anyone know if Ford put extra welds or thicker sheetmetal in the Rs frame areas, mine seems nice and rigid for a Mustang with the suspension as modified as it is? (I've driven many modified Stangs) Maybe the 99-00 body was improved. Also, my car has an annoying pop/ backfire many times when I downshift. Does an aftermarket chip cure this, or is it just my car? Who should I buy my chip from, how much does it cost, and are all the chips custom made for each car on the dyno or can I just order one? I would like to get a 2 or more position one for high octane fuel, nitrous, etc. I've got more questions but these will do for now. Thanks again, CB

Users who are viewing this thread