New Procharger running way too rich

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Alright, I got the chip back today (6/28) after overnighting it to Procharger on 6/10. Unhook the battery, re-clean terminals, insert chip with new burn, and the damn thing happens. "Theft" light flashes, radiator fan comes on, and no chance of starting. Here's my ideas, and please, I need help from the "SVTP Greats."

1) PCM could be bad, but it doesn't seem likely since the car will start and run without the chip.
2) Bad chip doesn't seem likely since it was just reburned from Procharger.
3) No blow fuses.

Why would the PCM recognize the key, and hence no blinking "Theft" light but the new chip does. And only the new chip does it. I have an old DiabloSport chip that works when I install it. Quadcammer, Venomous, lemosley, let's have it.

Oh, and my patience is growing thinner...it's been six weeks with no fun now.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
If i remeber correctly some mustangs never had the j-port(the chip port) hooked up and you have to make a connection at some point on the pcm.

EDIT: make sure you get all of the coating off the port where the chip goes without a good connection the chip could act this way.

Last edited:

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Your ecu is fine.. there is two points that need to be jumpered. My ecu along with a few others have done this. A local chip burner knows what needs to be done but will not tell me being he is competition I guess business wise. All I did was get ahold of a handheld tuner like a SCT or Diablosport and you will be good. I am using a Predator since I got one rather cheap. I had my ecu checked by a company locally that reflashes them, I did an ohm test to verify all the terminals were clean, and even re-burned the chip at an out of town Diablosport dealer. Its the problem with having something jumpered. I just wish I knew which one's. Get a tuner...my diablosport chip never worked on my car. I even tried other chips but no luck.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
got me stumped too... I will make some calls though.

Its so hard to do this without having your hands on the car...grrr

I will ask about the jumper thing as well. I have a few tuner friends that do way more than I do.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I really appreciate the help. And this is the first I've heard of the ecu jumper thing. Would a different pcm from ford possibly work without having to do the jumper. I can get a new pcm from ford pretty cheap. Probably cheaper than having a tuner fix mine...

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
I have been told its a physical jumper. But like I said.. he won't tell me anything beyond that.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
whats to say they arent tuning the chip for the wrong ECU code.. there were several different ecu numbers

did you give them your ECU code when you called about the chip?

Last edited:

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I gave them the EDU code when I ordered the kit. And when I got the chip, a copy of the order with the correct code was on it as verification. I'm calling Procharger today to see if they have any ideas and to specifically ask about the EDU number. I'll post as soon as I know something....

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
whats to say they arent tuning the chip for the wrong ECU code.. there were several different ecu numbers

did you give them your ECU code when you called about the chip?

This is not uncommon. I tried several times with Procharger to the point they started to tell me its my ecu. But I did check the ecu to the best of our abilites. So my next step was to go through a diablosport dealer. Drove 2 hours away and spent two days at his shop trying to figure it out. The chip I have is good, the ecu I have is good, the tune on the chip is good, but they do not agree for some reason. The tuner locally has mentioned that he had some stangs do that and he just jumped two wires to make it accept the chip. Since he does dyno tunes also I figured he knew what he was doing. I am not convinced its a bad ecu nor the chip. But I strongly suggest just going with a handheld tuner.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I had sort of the same problem with mine at one time, when I was N/A we tried tuning the car with a diablo chip. We tried 2 different chips one the ecu would accept the other it would not.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
OK just got off the phone with my tuner... he said he has seen 3 do what you are describing 2 were new edge cars 1 was a 96-98 cobra. The 96-98 car was the one you solder the jumpers on the ecu. One was an 04 mach 1 with a burnt up ECU (burnt up by modular madness) The last was a 99-01 car with a fried ECU as well.. Eric said he hates that it may be the ecu but he is leaning towards that. I wish I could help you more but as for now I am at a dead end. I can ask around and do some searching(I think I am gonna call DiabloSport) but until I have more info myself I cant help anymore.

Hopefully one of the other bigdogs can offer more info.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Actually, Venoomous, that's a good point. My NA DiabloSport chip worked, but for some reason, this one won't...

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I wouldn't think the car would start and run fine if the ecu was smoked. And remember, when i first put the new chip in, the car started and idled fine for about five minutes and then died. And since it died with the new chip the Theft light flashes. But it will still start and run (but very rich) without the new chip installed.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
I wouldn't think the car would start and run fine if the ecu was smoked. And remember, when i first put the new chip in, the car started and idled fine for about five minutes and then died. And since it died with the new chip the Theft light flashes. But it will still start and run (but very rich) without the new chip installed.
oops duh on my part..LOL

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Casey,
I do not understand why you are continuing to screw around with this chip. Take the car to a tuner and get it done correctly, on a dyno. Not with 'guesses' (educated or otherwise).

The chip provided with most supercharger kits, while perhaps not garbage, suck enough that they need to be supplemented with a real tune. This is almost universally acknowledged by anyone that has ever installed a supercharger kit.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I definitely have to agree casey. Take off your belt and route the stock belt back on it and drive it to a tuner. Let them chase the problem with the car not starting. I bet their chip will start the car though

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Yep. I just called Dallas Mustang to arrange a tune. Evidently the guy who does them is gone this week, so I'll get the tune and post the dyno when it's all finished. And thanks again for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread