New Procharger running way too rich

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
Finished installing P1SC last night. Runs visibly rich. Eventually fouls plugs and won't even idle. The only thing I haven't done is put in the cooler plugs gapped 35. Could this be the problem? I can't imagine it, but any help?

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
The kit came with a tuned chip that was supposed to be very close to the final tune. I know each car is different, but the chip was burned for my setup including the new injectors and MAF. And your wheels look badass.

RioRed4v

Established Member
i personally wouldnt trust the tune, it seems most pre-set tunes are junk, especially the KB ones.

thank you..just wish i still had them ;)

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Make sure you don't have any leaks in the intake plumbing and make sure everything is plugged into where it needs to be (electrical too!). If everything checks out leakwise, then your tune is not even close. You may have to have it towed. With it running that rich I would have it towed anyhow.

I hope you weren't planning on driving it on that tune if it did run.

Mach 1 Mania

Established Member
The tune Procharger supplies is a joke.... i had the same problem with my P1Sc last year. The tune they supply is very safe... rich VS lean. You need a tune....
Contact Jon Lund with Billetspeed.... the guys a genius..... took care of our cars with wideband tuning....

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Thats odd.. I have been driving mine with no problems on stock tune... I did however eventually tweak it with a predator but its been running fine.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
UPDATE - I went back over everything, put in NGK TR6 plugs, and still ran richer than Trump. But, if I unplug the MAF it runs much better on the default settings. And hey, it's even driveable. I think the MAF might be bad. It's a new one from Ford. But I'm sure they would never give me a bad part....

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Oh.. its in the tune then.... I asked because I am running 04 injectors with a 99 MAF with no problems.

Hepcat007

Established Member
99 Lightning MAF should be fine. If it was a C&L i would tell you to rip it off as they are complete garbage. I second the suggestion that you should find somebody who can do wideband tuning. For the most part, the only thing supplied chips are good for is paper weights.

Hepcat007

Established Member
caseydp75 said:
So unplugging the MAF is fixing the symptom and not the problem?
Yeah, and it could lead to much bigger problems. You have got to get a tune. Also, have you tried adjusting the position of the MAF? I couldn't believe how much a difference just turning the MAF made in my idle. Ideally, on our cars a Pro-M MAF is the best. Instead of having 1 sesor like the lightning, it has sensors all around it and gets a much much more accurate reading. Thats the problem with the Lightning and other MAFs.

Hepcat007

Established Member
The best way to tell is to have someone hook a wideband up and experiment with it. For me it worked best with about 1/4 clockwise turn. The A/F ratio was much better and it idled better. Im using a SCT MAF though and its a bit different.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
guys something you all seem to be over looking is that the tune should not be rich "SAFE" at idle or part throttle. He should still be stoich when he's at low throttle opens and higher vac. it should only go full rich at wot or close to it.

if its that bad, it sounds like the chip hasn't been cal'ed properly or it may not be making contact well enough.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
you might want to call procharger... their tune probably isnt tuned for your MAf or injector size.... unless your kit came complete with all that. I got a race kit and didnt get any of that stuff. Also check to see if their tune is for running your maf blow through or draw through then see which way you installed it.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
My chip came with a printout with all the necessary information that I gave Procharger in order for the to burn it. 'Cammer, should I take the chip back out, clean the terminals, and then reinstall? And what is this blow through vs. draw through? ...and I'm trying not to abuse my privilege to be stupid...

Users who are viewing this thread