New owner Questions

finally03gt

Established Member
Just bought my 2011 Shelby GT500, and I have a few questions.
1. How do I know if my car has the performance package (thinking it doesn't, but want to be sure)
2. What are best bang for the buck mods to start with
3. How much DEPENDABLE HP are the stock bottom ends good for?

SuperFly03

Established Member
1) google the VIN or the stock wheels are a give away. After that you have to start looking under the hood I believe.

2) tune, pulley, exhaust

3) 700-750 under 18# boost

kevingib

Established Member
I went tune, pulley and CAI kit to start and then stopped until I reconfigured the rear suspension so I could put the new found power to the pavement.

Coming up will be Heat Exchanger and then a SC upgrade :)

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I started with a pulley, CAI, exhaust and tuner then got it dyno-tuned.

finally03gt

Established Member
Super Fly: looks to my like my wheels scream base? - Is that 750 crank or rwhp?

Hammer: I pulled the VIN to Window sticker, no mention of SVT Performance (VERY grateful for the electronics package though)

Kevin: I'm guessing you are referring to the suspension mods in your signature? I've Seen heat exchangers mentioned other places.. That's to cool the water circulating through the inter-cooler, correct. If so, is there one in stock form and the aftermarket is an upgrade, or are you guys talking about ADDing one?

What I've read around, seems like Pulley and a good tune can get pretty close to 575-600 rwhp? and it's pretty inexpensive (for the power gains). Is the CAI crucial to that initial pulley/tune upgrade, and how much HP is the CAI worth? The exhaust seems to start getting pricey. How much gain is it good for (understanding the HUGE difference between minor stuff like cat back to a full header back upgrade)

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Super Fly: looks to my like my wheels scream base? - Is that 750 crank or rwhp?

Hammer: I pulled the VIN to Window sticker, no mention of SVT Performance (VERY grateful for the electronics package though)

Kevin: I'm guessing you are referring to the suspension mods in your signature? I've Seen heat exchangers mentioned other places.. That's to cool the water circulating through the inter-cooler, correct. If so, is there one in stock form and the aftermarket is an upgrade, or are you guys talking about ADDing one?

What I've read around, seems like Pulley and a good tune can get pretty close to 575-600 rwhp? and it's pretty inexpensive (for the power gains). Is the CAI crucial to that initial pulley/tune upgrade, and how much HP is the CAI worth? The exhaust seems to start getting pricey. How much gain is it good for (understanding the HUGE difference between minor stuff like cat back to a full header back upgrade)

You can usually figure about 30 RWHP for the CAI and another 25-30 rwhp for headers. Doing a catback won't give you any extra HP unless you go w/ a full 3" system and that would only benefit you if you were making 700 rwhp +. These motors can handle 750 rwhp but that depends largely on who is tuning the car, fuel system, boost etc.

Last edited:

finally03gt

Established Member
Black beauty: thanks, good info. You mentioned tuning and said can depend on boost. I'm new to S/C but if i understand, boost is a function of the S/C and pulley, RPM, and the bypass vavle, but its not "tuneable" assuming all hardware remains unchanged. Is this correct?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Black beauty: thanks, good info. You mentioned tuning and said can depend on boost. I'm new to S/C but if i understand, boost is a function of the S/C and pulley, RPM, and the bypass vavle, but its not "tuneable" assuming all hardware remains unchanged. Is this correct?

Correct your pulley choice or combination of along w/ the size of the blower will determine your boost. Getting someone knowledgeable on tuning these cars is very important, because if you make the wrong choice in tuner you can blow your motor w/ the most basic of mods.

dr.atsal

Established Member
Pulley and Tune will only get you to 540-550 rwhp. Also these cars come with a CAI, so you will see almost no gain by switching CAI unless you upgrade to a bigger blower. Yes, headers will also add 30 rwhp...but you better be running off road mid pipes or the cats will just burn up.

If you are looking for a mild mod to liven up the car a bit, then just do pulley and tune. I know you want it dyno tuned, but both Raven Racing (Lund Tune) and VMP Tuning are the best in business as far as the GT500 is concerned. They have tuned so many different combos that they can get you an email tune within 5% of a dyno tune.

However, in my honest opinion the best bang for you buck is VMPs GENII kit. It will get you to 700+ rwhp and make you feel like you are driving an entirely different car. If you think the blower upgrade is too costly at the moment, but want to build up to it, then I would start off with the right components to build up to it. Like VMPs 67mm TB, JLT CAI, pulley and tune. When you are ready, then you get the GEN II Stripper TVS and you are set.

-Doc

finally03gt

Established Member
Thanks Doc,

My wife was unusually supportive of my car addiction, so mod talk and spending will have to be low key for now. Best I can tell the pulley/tune will be about $500, and THAT I may be able to sneak under the radar.. haha.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
ill be back from deployment in a few months and be taking my 2.6 pulley, idler and jlt intake off the car...if your not in a hurry to start modding

finally03gt

Established Member
So I bought the car, got about 7 hrs (6 on the highway with cruise set) in the seat then had to go back to an oil rig to pay for it..hahah. Been dreaming and youtubing, and now have a new question. Why do our perfromance numbers look so much better on paper then in highway pulls on the internet? I understand 3800lbs on 285's is not making good use of the power off the line, but what's up with pulls from 40-50 and still watching others cars walk away?

Rail1

Established Member
My build is in my sig. Plan your build in stages, take your time and enjoy the car. HP in Houston is a good shop. Call and talk to them about you budged and build.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread