New numbers (302+Cams+KB)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
sambandit said:
I went with the VT billet stroker, it's about 5 grand. Still stock cams and you can see the numbers in my sig.....
You really need to add how much boost made those numbers if people are to put it into perspective :beer:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
wow thats awesome. Should be fun trying to hook up on the road (i only have 590rwhp and even 3rd gear is a little sketchy under full acceleration unless i have a full tank of gas lol).

enjoy just sweet power, and see you can never have too much lol :)

VinSVT

Established Member
whistlin93SVT said:
Those are some sick numbers. :rockon:

Waiting on the video. I hope that you have some clips of the car at idle. I really want to hear those cams. :thumbsup:

I have one video of it at idle.. not on my computer yet though.

Would do it now but I'm at work. :sleeping:

vipergts281

Established Member
esqeddy said:
I'm not stroked (just .020 over) and have stock cams.
Ok, I am going to show my lack of engine knowledge again.....what does .020 over mean exactly? Is that piston to wall clearance?

Thanks.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
sambandit said:
I went with the VT billet stroker, it's about 5 grand. Still stock cams and you can see the numbers in my sig.....
Yeah and your also running about 23-24 psi :thumbsup:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Ok, I am going to show my lack of engine knowledge again.....what does .020 over mean exactly? Is that piston to wall clearance?

Thanks.
A perfect cure for lack of knowledge is a little reading. Here it is:

The first thing to remember is the old saying "No replacement for displacement." This simply means the larger the engine, the more power it can make with all other things being equal. Of course, when I say larger, I'm not talking about how big the motor is on the outside, but rather how big the pistons, cylinders, and the like are. The key concept is called the "displacement".

The displacement of an engine can be calculated as follows:

C.A. = 3.1415*r*r (where r = the radius of the piston) This is the area of the cylinder cross section.

Then multiple this by the stroke of the piston to get the volume of a cylinder (The stroke is the distance the piston moves back in forth in the cylinder. This is measured as the distance from the farthest in point to the farthest out point.):

Cylinder Volume = C.A.*s

Then multiply this number by 8 to get the overall engine volume since there are 8 cylinders (use 6 or 4 or even 10 on other motors, depending on how many cylinders that particular motor has.)

Thus, Displacement = 3.1415*r*r*s*8 (3.1415 is called Pi)

A stroked motor gains displacement (more cubic inches) by changing the geometry of the crank shaft, rods, and pistons. The changes cause the piston to come further down the cylinder on each stroke increasing the "s" in the above formula. Thus, for a given 8 cylinder block, with a given cylinder diameter, you get more displacement.

Another way to increas displacement is to increase the radius of the cylinders. This is often called boring out the block.

For the stock Cobra motor, the cyliner radius, "r", is 1.775 inches and the stroke, "s", is 3.54 inches. A motor that is .020 means the radius of the cylinder is that much larger. In this case, 1.795 inches. This results in a motor that is 287 cubic inches instead of 281. This is a 2.13 % increase in displacement. If there is a 1 to 1 correlation between engine size and power (an assumption just for the purposes of illustration) then for a Cobra motor with 600 rwhp engine that is 281 cubic inches, you would see about 613 hp with a .020 larger bore.

On a stroker motor, you can see the stroke raised from 3.54 to 3.75 inches. Maybe even larger. This would increase displacement to 297 cubic inches. This is a huge 16% increase in displacement!

You can also find motors that have a combination of increased cylinder size and stroke.

Go to this link and scroll down. You can find several combinations of stroked and bored motors giving up to 322 cubic inches.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/gt-cobra-shortblocks.shtml

Now you may be asking, "Why gee! Why not stroke and increase the bore on all motors?" Well, like anything else, there is a price to be paid. A bored block results in less material in the structure of the block resulting in a block that is weaker than a non-bored block. Likewise, altering the geometry to stroke a motor can cause a variety of different stresses that can ultimately weaken the motor.

Deciding to bore and/or stroke a motor often becomes a question of application and philosophy. There and many experts with differing opinions on the subject.

OK. Schools out. I hope this helped. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread