New numbers (302+Cams+KB)

VinSVT

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Would you guys with he cams say it is worth it? I've read on here that some people say they are more trouble than they are worth.

Any thoughts?

I really think cams are one of the major things that are putting these low boost cars to such high power levels... as you can see again, 15-16#'s made 638 rwhp. And mine at 17#'s made 644rwhp. On your average stock motor/stock cams KB car.. it takes 19#'s usually just to break into the low 600 rwhp range.

Not to mention the fact they make the car sound sick...

If you have the money... go for it. The engine is going to be out and apart anyways. It would be the prime time to do them. ;-)

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
So assuming the engine is out, what would one expect to pay for cams and install? A little over $1,000?

What if the enigne ISN'T apart?

Thanks guys.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Would you guys with he cams say it is worth it? I've read on here that some people say they are more trouble than they are worth.

Any thoughts?
I wouldnt do cams just to do cams. I got a new engine and new heads though and the fact that its a stroker I was worried about running out of cam. With my current combo, yes I think it was worth the $1500 to add them while it was all apart.

VinSVT said:
Nice! That 2.4 is gonna beable to make some big numbers one day.... :thumbsup:
Yea, I was a bit bummed when the coolant blew everywhere knowing we couldnt continue but such is life. I will drive her as she sites for a bit next spring and throw more boost and timing at it. Heck 15-16psi is barely using the 2.4.

vipergts281

Established Member
Also, how strong are these 302 Strokers?

Should one worry about road racing, drag racing, high speed runs? I know on a stock car, a high speed run seems to take a HUGE toll on the stock pistons.

Thanks for the replies so far. :beer:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
So assuming the engine is out, what would one expect to pay for cams and install? A little over $1,000?

What if the enigne ISN'T apart?

Thanks guys.
Cams, springs and retainers will run you about $1500. If the engine isnt apart your looking at prolly $1500 in labor if not more depending on the shop. If its all tore about prolly just a couple hours labor.

vipergts281

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
I wouldnt do cams just to do cams. I got a new engine and new heads though and the fact that its a stroker I was worried about running out of cam. With my current combo, yes I think it was worth the $1500 to add them while it was all apart.
Thanks for the reply.

vipergts281

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
Cams, springs and retainers will run you about $1500. If the engine isnt apart your looking at prolly $1500 in labor if not more depending on the shop. If its all tore about prolly just a couple hours labor.
Wow, so like you guys said.....it is best to do it when the engine is out. And now I see why it wouldn't make sense to do cams just to do cams like you stated before.

Thanks.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
vipergts281 said:

Should one worry about road racing, drag racing, high speed runs? I know on a stock car, a high speed run seems to take a HUGE toll on the stock pistons.

I cant comment on the HPP shortblock but mine has billet I beam rods and is capable of handling 9000rpm. I also have the full compliment of evans cooling mods which includes larger radiator. less restrictive inlet and thermostat housing, water pump and their waterless coolant as well as a large external oil cooler with canton road race pan and windage tray. As it sits now it holds 11.5 quarts of oil. I also have a gords HE and a vortech coolant tank to keep heat soak to a minimum.

VinSVT

Established Member
vipergts281 said:

As far as it comes to road racing and drag racing, as long as you have enough cooling mods to support it and allow the car to have enough cooldown time between runs I think you'd be fine.

When it comes to high speed runs... I'm not to sure. I personally quit at 4th gear (120 mph). Not willing to risk it even if the car can do it. To dangerous, and can cost to much money (blowing the engine/getting a ticket)

VinSVT

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
I cant comment on the HPP shortblock but mine has billet I beam rods and is capable of handling 9000rpm. I also have the full compliment of evans cooling mods which includes larger radiator. less restrictive inlet and thermostat housing, water pump and their waterless coolant as well as a large external oil cooler with canton road race pan and windage tray. As it sits now it holds 11.5 quarts of oil. I also have a gords HE and a vortech coolant tank to keep heat soak to a minimum.

The HPP shortblock comes with Manley H-beam rods. Might beable to be pushed beyond 7-8000rpm's. But I'm not for sure on that.

I also have almost all the cooling mods you have listed here. The only two I do not have that you have listed are the Oil Cooler and Canton Road Race Pan.

Both very nice products, but can put a nice dent in your pocket. I was running a little short on cash and skipped both of these. Not sure if I plan on getting them later or not. Because as of now the car is running great.

VinSVT

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Wow, so like you guys said.....it is best to do it when the engine is out. And now I see why it wouldn't make sense to do cams just to do cams like you stated before.

Thanks.

If you're doing cams just do them... you have a lot of extra money sitting around you dont mind spending. :)

VinSVT

Established Member
vipergts281 said:

HPP uses their 302 stroker in their race car. Its a 99 Cobra with a 302 + Turbo. Dont quote me on the numbers, but I know for a fact it is well past 1000 rwhp.

These blocks can handle serious power. Of course you're going to have to upgrade many other things to handle this type of power.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Great #'s Vincent! Glad I got a chance to see and hear it in person. Hope to many more times. Just to let you people know HPP's cams sound sick and they do them for a great deal. HPP for me! They are a GREAT bunch of guys and treat you right.

Hopefully mine will be going in for the same treatment next month:beer:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Manny told me about the belt sliping. Mine is soon to be worked over by Manny. (I can barely wait!!!) He is going to go with a 8 lb. lower so that we can run larger uppers and hopefully avoid the slipage problems.

I'm not stroked (just .020 over) and have stock cams. Therefore, I expect to make a little less power at the same boost levels. I will have a pulley and tune for pump gas. However, I intend to swap to a smaller upper with race fuel and a 125 hp shot at the track, (with the appropriate tune swap, of course). I'll be waiting to hear what you are going to do about your belt slip and what numbers you make once you got that problem licked!

Anyway.... Congrats on the great numbers and the long awaited completion of your project!!!

Have fun!!!

VinSVT

Established Member
esqeddy said:
Manny told me about the belt sliping. Mine is soon to be worked over by Manny. (I can barely wait!!!) He is going to go with a 8 lb. lower so that we can run larger uppers and hopefully avoid the slipage problems.

I'm not stroked (just .020 over) and have stock cams. Therefore, I expect to make a little less power at the same boost levels. I will have a pulley and tune for pump gas. However, I intend to swap to a smaller upper with race fuel and a 125 hp shot at the track, (with the appropriate tune swap, of course). I'll be waiting to hear what you are going to do about your belt slip and what numbers you make once you got that problem licked!

Anyway.... Congrats on the great numbers and the long awaited completion of your project!!!

Have fun!!!

Thanks! Sounds like you have quite a sick project going on! I thought about just keeping it at 17#'s and spraying a 100 shot. But decided I'd rather take it up to 23-24#'s of boost first. I also will be going with an 8# lower now.

Let us know how everything works out for you!

whistlin93SVT

Titty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Those are some sick numbers. :rockon:

Waiting on the video. I hope that you have some clips of the car at idle. I really want to hear those cams. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread