New mustang owner here! 2014 Inside.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
My comment about email tunes was meant abit more tongue in cheek but it still holds true. We are a society now that is more interested in immediate satisfaction just being able to get a tune, slap it on a dyno for bragging rights for peak numbers (which mean squat), going to the extremes of modifications for attention rather than building a quality performing car all in the sake of ego and pride.

Car nowadays aren't what they used to be, Steve, you know that. With the insane amount of systems, checks, electronics, etc in the cars nowadays, it isn't like how it was with carbs. Tuning takes finesse and a lot of educating to do it properly by yourself.

If it was easy for us to all tune our cars, your know who would still not have his car together and tuned properly. :p

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Car nowadays aren't what they used to be, Steve, you know that. With the insane amount of systems, checks, electronics, etc in the cars nowadays, it isn't like how it was with carbs. Tuning takes finesse and a lot of educating to do it properly by yourself.

If it was easy for us to all tune our cars, your know who would still not have his car together and tuned properly. :p

Did you get to be an engineer without educating yourself? No.

You know who is a perfect example of why educating yourself on anything you do is a key to success. Anyone can throw money at a car but it doesn't mean the car will perform as it should without a plan and a combination of parts that are designed to work together with the same goal in mind.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Did you get to be an engineer without educating yourself? No.

You know who is a perfect example of why educating yourself on anything you do is a key to success. Anyone can throw money at a car but it doesn't mean the car will perform as it should without a plan and a combination of parts that are designed to work together with the same goal in mind.

Agree with all of that. But email tunes aren't as bad as they once were. It's mostly more a matter of convenience due to the time it takes to learn and apply the knowledge so you can do it yourself. Look at Brent. He has been tuned by Shaun for a long time. But that have him the time to start figuring tuning stuff for himself.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Agree with all of that. But email tunes aren't as bad as they once were. It's mostly more a matter of convenience due to the time it takes to learn and apply the knowledge so you can do it yourself. Look at Brent. He has been tuned by Shaun for a long time. But that have him the time to start figuring tuning stuff for himself.

Kevin is a perfect example of someone who takes knowledge into their own hands in order to build the car he exactly wants to have full understanding of everything going without having to rely on anyone else. Really what it comes down to is what is important to you.

Do you really want to learn about your car, or do you just want to plug and play? It's no different than any other hobby, photography, martial arts, racing etc. If you apply yourself to a higher level of learning whatever it is, you can achieve what you want. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's not as important to you to really learn what is going on, or just wanting to jump in your car to enjoy it without the "hassle" of learning about it. You just can't have it both ways claiming to want it and not do it.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Kevin is a perfect example of someone who takes knowledge into their own hands in order to build the car he exactly wants to have full understanding of everything going without having to rely on anyone else. Really what it comes down to is what is important to you.

Do you really want to learn about your car, or do you just want to plug and play? It's no different than any other hobby, photography, martial arts, racing etc. If you apply yourself to a higher level of learning whatever it is, you can achieve what you want. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it's not as important to you to really learn what is going on, or just wanting to jump in your car to enjoy it without the "hassle" of learning about it. You just can't have it both ways claiming to want it and not do it.

Exactly. I have gained much knowledge over the years that I used to be naive about. Just takes time. I tend to dip myself into many things at one time though, which can be an annoying habit. Lol. "Good at many things, but great at very few."

StanceTheSix

Established Member
first of all let me say i really enjoy what you have put into this conversation Foof. I am enjoying the stand that you are coming from.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve in this thread. It seems to me you are attempting to re-invent the wheel here. I understand each generation (by your posts, I'm assuming you are very young) has their own trends they bring to the hobby. Most of it all is subjective to taste so everyone can argue those points until the end of days getting no where. "Stance", "static" or whatever you call it is just some trendy term that a journalist came up with some import magazine in order to sell ads in a magazine to sell the lastest parts to the younger generation.

First of all not at all trying to re invent the wheel. many mustang guys have done what i want to do. Also i guess you could call me young being 23 i am a lot younger than your average mustang owner. "Stance" is whatever you want it to be... it is not subject to only super low cars... a lifted truck is stanced. A car lowered on springs is stance. Your car is stanced. Also Static just means that you are on springs of some sort and not on air.

I greatly appreciate the perfect lowered ride height of a car. The ride height and wheel/tire set up make or break the look of a car. Too much fenderwell gap is very ugly in my opinion, again that is subjective to taste. I'm sure there is someone out there who thinks lowered cars at all look silly.

I would have to say i completely agree with you here and i think my perfect setup will be with my fenders right above my tire. i would like to have little to no gap at all.

Where I take issue with "stance" is when they can no longer perform the function in a proper manner as they were intended to do. If your ride on your car had to ride super stiff to go down the road otherwise it would bottom out, you had improper set up on your car. If you are taking all of the travel out of your suspension to the point it effects handling or being roadworthy you have in fact taken the suspension out of the car. In addition to that, these cars are put on stretched tires making the cars unsafe. A tire is not designed to be used in that manner riding on the sidewalls. The cars are simply unsafe in extreme cases and in my opinion just look downright silly.

sorry... i kinda worded my statement wrong.. i meant that my front tires would rub every once in a while on a large bump because my fenders were not rolled far enough. i still had the same amount of suspension travel. i actually had a full inch of preload on my springs in the front.

The stretched tire look will be one of those things that people will look back thinking to themselves "why did I do that?" Kinda like the guys who wore mullets at the time when they were trendy.

I disagree with this as this has been going on since what... i believe the early 90's? Also if you look at a lot of race cars they will stretch their tires to an extent to put more of a surface patch on the ground to get more traction. Also it is big in the drifting scene.

As for the other parts of your post, it seems abit contradictory to me. On one hand you say that learning to tune your own car isn't worth your time, but yet you did a full motor swap yourself. :??:

Learning to tune your car can be dangerous to your car.. a motor swap is easy its all mechanical. I will do everything on my own to my car as far as mechanical stuff goes but when it comes to tuning i let someone that knows what their doing do it.

My comment about email tunes was meant abit more tongue in cheek but it still holds true. We are a society now that is more interested in immediate satisfaction just being able to get a tune, slap it on a dyno for bragging rights for peak numbers (which mean squat), going to the extremes of modifications for attention rather than building a quality performing car all in the sake of ego and pride.

"Stance" is daring to be different gone wrong.

Agreed on everyone trying to build a dyno queen.. it means nothing in the end...

I dont think Stance has gone wrong at all... look at the huge following it has..

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
You chose the wrong platform to drop that low and still be able to actually drive it.

Any lower than 1.5-2" rear drop will seriously cause your axle to hit bump stops ALL THE TIME. I was lowered on KW V2 coilovers for a while, and the "highest" setting was around 1.5". Needless to say, I got rid of those quickly cause it's just not realistic for a daily driver here in SF. You can trim the bumpstops, but you don't gain that much more travel.

Your best bet is to do airbags, so that you can stance all you want when you're parked and reppin hard with your homies. Then you can raise it to a normal level and drive home without rattling your side mirrors off.

I'm 2.4" in the rear and it drives just fine w/ trimmed bumpstops. Tokico D-Specs FTW!

StanceTheSix

Established Member
This is just another annoying car term that nerdy people come up with because they think it sounds cool. It's like when people join the word Frankenstein with an engine code. Or when people used to put the Mitsu Eclipse bumper on the Talon, and call it the Talipse. It's so annoying, I just want to smack these people. Everything does not have to have a specific "term" that describes it in detail. If you wanted a clean lowered car with clean proportioned wheels/tires, then the word is AESTHETIC. That's the word. Case in my point... My car. That's why MOST people who see it, love it. It's Clean, Pretty low and Visually appealing. It also does not perform any worse than stock, and only better if anything. This is NOT how it looks at the moment because it's in the recovery room after a Twin turbo kit install, 2013 headlight conversion and wheel/tire swap (needed Dr's).

Aesthetic would be the same as using Visually appealing. Also i could say your car has a nice stance. There is nothing wrong with using a word that has been around for my entire life...

Stance: A way of standing or being placed.

A car is standing on all 4 wheels and the way it is standing on those 4 wheels looks nice.

or you could say that car has a terrible stance... meaning the opposite..

not every car that is stanced has to be slammed... stanced can be anything.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Forgive me for some of these being awful rushed shots with no post editing... but hopefully it'll give the OP some more ideas of the H&R SS drop.

Pay attention to how low the front bumper is to the ground particularly just in front of the front wheels and how low the side skirts are just behind the front wheels. I've measured and have right at about 2.5" of clearance at the vehicles lowest point. I would 110% Urge you NOT to go any lower than this unless you're doing Air and can raise your self up on the fly. My car does not touch a speed bump & goes into very few drives/driveways unless they're perfectly smooth, level & flat. As for the ride, she rides fantastic thanks mostly in part to the D-Specs.

lz41.jpg

ixgr.jpg

4rp6.jpg

ul03.jpg

bj40.jpg

photo29kj.jpg

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
first of all let me say i really enjoy what you have put into this conversation Foof. I am enjoying the stand that you are coming from.

No problem. We're both car guys but it doesn't mean we have to agree or like all the same things. I try to be as open minded as possible to others views.

Aesthetic would be the same as using Visually appealing. Also i could say your car has a nice stance. There is nothing wrong with using a word that has been around for my entire life...

Stance: A way of standing or being placed.

A car is standing on all 4 wheels and the way it is standing on those 4 wheels looks nice.

or you could say that car has a terrible stance... meaning the opposite..

not every car that is stanced has to be slammed... stanced can be anything.

I believe he's referring more to the stigma of the stance scene itself rather than the literal definition.

StanceTheSix

Established Member
I believe he's referring more to the stigma of the stance scene itself rather than the literal definition.

ahhh.. i believe that an excessive amount of camber is just plain retarded and i feel the same about too much of a stretch on a tire.

anything more than 4 degrees just starts to look stupid.

Douche said:
Gahh, this has to be the dumbest shit I've read today.

thanks for your extremely valuable input.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
This is a pic of my car with the BC racing coilovers. This was the lowest I went, because I like going to the drag strip and any lower with 17 inch race stars in the front I would be dragging the front. But all in all they worked great for me I was pretty consistent running 1.5 sixty foots. Also they will work just fine for what you want to do and I liked them because they came with the camber plates!!! As you can see the pic in my signature was when I first put them on and I had it pretty low.
DSCN0823.jpg

Heuristic

Established Member
This is a pic of my car with the BC racing coilovers. This was the lowest I went, because I like going to the drag strip and any lower with 17 inch race stars in the front I would be dragging the front. But all in all they worked great for me I was pretty consistent running 1.5 sixty foots. Also they will work just fine for what you want to do and I liked them because they came with the camber plates!!! As you can see the pic in my signature was when I first put them on and I had it pretty low.
DSCN0823.jpg

Are your rims powder coated?

StanceTheSix

Established Member

Thanks for the pic! In the pic in your sig is about where i want to be from what it looks like..

Users who are viewing this thread