New mustang owner here! 2014 Inside.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I love hearing this! XD

a 295 would be little to no stretch on a 10.5" rim. i will more than likely find 19's the more i think about it and i will go with a 285/35/19 or 275/35/19 in the rear and a 245/35/19 in the front.

I personally think this setup would be near perfect for shows. I more than likely wont be running this daily haha.
If it's not a daily, and the roads up there near Tacoma are fine, I say more power to you.

I wasn't saying the 295 would be stretch. I was suggestion that as a tire size. Stretching a tire on that rim would be a 285/35 or so.

But I don't think I'd run a 245/35 on that 9 inch rim. That is a shorter, and therefore stiffer sidewall...and I hope you aren't going to "poke" the wheels...

corruptor

Established Member
You chose the wrong platform to drop that low and still be able to actually drive it.

Any lower than 1.5-2" rear drop will seriously cause your axle to hit bump stops ALL THE TIME. I was lowered on KW V2 coilovers for a while, and the "highest" setting was around 1.5". Needless to say, I got rid of those quickly cause it's just not realistic for a daily driver here in SF. You can trim the bumpstops, but you don't gain that much more travel.

Your best bet is to do airbags, so that you can stance all you want when you're parked and reppin hard with your homies. Then you can raise it to a normal level and drive home without rattling your side mirrors off.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
because i don't like the feel of air.

Thank you kingnut for some actual insight!

apparently most mustang guys just don't get that there are people out there with different styles... I mean what most of you guys are 40+ and you act like children.. Didn't your mother ever teach you "If you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all?" To be honest I really don't care and i think it's actually quite funny how mad you guys get when someone wants to do something else with a mustang...:lol1:

I'm in my 20's Broseph. And stancing cars is still whack.

StevenStarke

Established Member
How fun being Stanced

Stanced.jpg

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I miss the days when car guys actually talked about turning wrenches on their cars, instead now they talk about who has the best email tune.

I miss the days when cars were built to perform and their form followed their function. Now they take the suspension completely out making it ride/perform like shit and stretch the tires to a rubberband width.

I miss the days when a car guy didn't mind getting his hands dirty and grease under his nails. Now they wear skinny jeans and write a check for everything.

Damn, I'm old.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I miss the days when car guys actually talked about turning wrenches on their cars, instead now they talk about who has the best email tune.

I miss the days when cars were built to perform and their form followed their function. Now they take the suspension completely out making it ride/perform like shit and stretch the tires to a rubberband width.

I miss the days when a car guy didn't mind getting his hands dirty and grease under his nails. Now they wear skinny jeans and write a check for everything.

Damn, I'm old.

I miss the days of playing with hot wheels outside in the driveway and not having to pay for gas.

StanceTheSix

Established Member
you guys must not know what battle stance is...

ill show you a couple images of battle stance... no, its not hella flush gangster wannabe with my mega camber...

battle stance.... supra
0508tur_23z+1994_toyota_supra_turbo+left_front_view.jpg

battle stance.... mustang
tumblr_mmeq3iPggV1rvheo2o1_500.jpg

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I've never heard the term "battle stance" before...

But I'm glad you found an image of Turka's car.

I just see those pictures as cars having a perfect stance, but not "stance".

StanceTheSix

Established Member
there many different ways of interpreting "stance"... its all what you think it is.

ya when the majority of people think about it they think of this /----\...

in reality there are more than just that... here is a picture to kind of explain it.

user1706_pic1356_1272695982-copy.jpg

battle stance would fit somewhere between "lowered on coilovers" and "flush"

StanceTheSix

Established Member

Damn, I'm old.

i just wanted to address this post...

yes tunes are now emailed or done on a dyno because you can no longer tune by sticking a screwdriver to your carb.. if you want to take the time to learn about fuel injection and how to tune it then be my guest but i have other things to do with my time. plus i would rather not screw up my car and leave it to the pros.

To you what may ride like "shit" is what you think... no one is taking out their suspension. they are actually taking a lot of calculations into effect when they do stance their car. A car that rides stiff in my mind is not a car that rides like shit... my focus was on coilovers and was flush but i only had about 1 degree of camber in the front and rear which is nothing. It rode stiff because i needed it too, if it didnt than i would have bottomed out everywhere. Also not everyone stretches tires to "rubberband" width. most will do a couple sizes smaller than recommended for their stance. I agree if you can look down between the tire and the lip of the wheel and see the barrel it is too far stretched.

For the last part i can say that i am happy i do all my own work to my car and do not wear *** skinny jeans. I did a whole motor swap to my focus plus about 4k into the suspension since i knew it was never going to be a fast car but i could make it a canyon carver and thats what it was.

N20D5OH

Established Member
Is stancing the new parking hard? That's what we used to call the guys that sat on the sidelines and polished their cars while we raced.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Dude, let me help you out here. The term STANCE is just an annoying word that most car guys will not want to hear. It's just the terminology you would NOT want to use on any forum besides VwVortex. You're example of BATTLE STANCE sounds like a term that was created to describe a simple clean lowered setup with wheels/tires that are flush. The whole Hella Flush scene is comprised of a bunch of RICE'D out POS cars that people like the more obnoxiously undriveable they are. Below is a list of terms you should stay away from to not be picked on:

Stance. Hella-Anything. Hater.

RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. (that inhibits performance). So anytime you Overly mod an aspect of a vehicle to the point that it reasonably inhibits the performance aspect of it, it's a rice mod. Bright blinding gauges, Wind dragging wings, Wind blocking body kits, Cars that drag on the floor and handle like garbage, Stretched tires that pop off from speed bumps, etc....

Last edited:

N20D5OH

Established Member
Dude, let me help you out here. The term STANCE is just an annoying word that most car guys will not want to hear. It's just the terminology you would NOT want to use on any forum besides VwVortex. You're example of BATTLE STANCE sounds like a term that was created to describe a simple clean lowered setup with wheels/tires that are flush. The whole Hella Flush scene is comprised of a bunch of RICE'D out POS cars that people like the more obnoxiously undriveable they are. Below is a list of terms you should stay away from to not be picked on:

Stance. Hella-Anything. Hater.

RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. (that inhibits performance). So anytime you Overly mod an aspect of a vehicle to the point that it reasonably inhibits the performance aspect of it, it's a rice mod. Bright blinding gauges, Wind dragging wings, Wind blocking body kits, Cars that drag on the floor and handle like garbage, Stretched tires that pop off from speed bumps, etc....

So I shouldn't slam mine and put 13" reverse wire wheels on it? :-\

StevenStarke

Established Member
This is just another annoying car term that nerdy people come up with because they think it sounds cool. It's like when people join the word Frankenstein with an engine code. Or when people used to put the Mitsu Eclipse bumper on the Talon, and call it the Talipse. It's so annoying, I just want to smack these people. Everything does not have to have a specific "term" that describes it in detail. If you wanted a clean lowered car with clean proportioned wheels/tires, then the word is AESTHETIC. That's the word. Case in my point... My car. That's why MOST people who see it, love it. It's Clean, Pretty low and Visually appealing. It also does not perform any worse than stock, and only better if anything. This is NOT how it looks at the moment because it's in the recovery room after a Twin turbo kit install, 2013 headlight conversion and wheel/tire swap (needed Dr's).

557103_4297715682183_1860506814_n.jpg

224176_4818049530204_132213930_n.jpg

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
i just wanted to address this post...

yes tunes are now emailed or done on a dyno because you can no longer tune by sticking a screwdriver to your carb.. if you want to take the time to learn about fuel injection and how to tune it then be my guest but i have other things to do with my time. plus i would rather not screw up my car and leave it to the pros.

To you what may ride like "shit" is what you think... no one is taking out their suspension. they are actually taking a lot of calculations into effect when they do stance their car. A car that rides stiff in my mind is not a car that rides like shit... my focus was on coilovers and was flush but i only had about 1 degree of camber in the front and rear which is nothing. It rode stiff because i needed it too, if it didnt than i would have bottomed out everywhere. Also not everyone stretches tires to "rubberband" width. most will do a couple sizes smaller than recommended for their stance. I agree if you can look down between the tire and the lip of the wheel and see the barrel it is too far stretched.

For the last part i can say that i am happy i do all my own work to my car and do not wear *** skinny jeans. I did a whole motor swap to my focus plus about 4k into the suspension since i knew it was never going to be a fast car but i could make it a canyon carver and thats what it was.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve in this thread. It seems to me you are attempting to re-invent the wheel here. I understand each generation (by your posts, I'm assuming you are very young) has their own trends they bring to the hobby. Most of it all is subjective to taste so everyone can argue those points until the end of days getting no where. "Stance", "static" or whatever you call it is just some trendy term that a journalist came up with some import magazine in order to sell ads in a magazine to sell the lastest parts to the younger generation.

I greatly appreciate the perfect lowered ride height of a car. The ride height and wheel/tire set up make or break the look of a car. Too much fenderwell gap is very ugly in my opinion, again that is subjective to taste. I'm sure there is someone out there who thinks lowered cars at all look silly.

Where I take issue with "stance" is when they can no longer perform the function in a proper manner as they were intended to do. If your ride on your car had to ride super stiff to go down the road otherwise it would bottom out, you had improper set up on your car. If you are taking all of the travel out of your suspension to the point it effects handling or being roadworthy you have in fact taken the suspension out of the car. In addition to that, these cars are put on stretched tires making the cars unsafe. A tire is not designed to be used in that manner riding on the sidewalls. The cars are simply unsafe in extreme cases and in my opinion just look downright silly.

The stretched tire look will be one of those things that people will look back thinking to themselves "why did I do that?" Kinda like the guys who wore mullets at the time when they were trendy.

As for the other parts of your post, it seems abit contradictory to me. On one hand you say that learning to tune your own car isn't worth your time, but yet you did a full motor swap yourself. :??:

My comment about email tunes was meant abit more tongue in cheek but it still holds true. We are a society now that is more interested in immediate satisfaction just being able to get a tune, slap it on a dyno for bragging rights for peak numbers (which mean squat), going to the extremes of modifications for attention rather than building a quality performing car all in the sake of ego and pride.

"Stance" is daring to be different gone wrong.

N20D5OH

Established Member
The stretched tire look will be one of those things that people will look back thinking to themselves "why did I do that?" Kinda like the guys who wore mullets at the time when they were trendy.

While I agree with this logic, now that I'm old and bald, I'm glad I rocked the mullet while I could.

Users who are viewing this thread